Sports you hate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:01 am

Mich Caine wrote:
Gertie wrote:I dunno I just can't muster the energy to hate any sport. I love most and some I don't quite understand the rules, but if other people really think it's great who am I to moan??? I really, really miss taking part in lots of sport now that I'm responsible for delivering Jussi Junior to the world. The only one I still play is darts and I really enjoy that even though I'm useless!!! I save hate for spiders, people who drop litter and lying, thieving estate agents.

I do like extreme sports and incidently my uncle loved to take part in extreme sports and was killed in a mountain bike accident and yes, he was a great man.
Yeah I miss participating in sports too. I still play golf, but the one sport I miss most playing is cricket, I remember many a time playing cricket on the beaches in the South of France with family and friends. That was a lot of fun.
I didn't realise you were pregnant too mich, congratualtions.

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:16 am

all the best

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:15 pm

Gertie wrote:I do like extreme sports and incidently my uncle loved to take part in extreme sports and was killed in a mountain bike accident and yes, he was a great man.
:shock:

Bloody ell. What happened?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:18 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Mich Caine wrote:The bloody rugby world cup is on this year sometime, bloody hell, a bloody month of bloody rugby will drive me around the bloody U bend.

That bloody William Ellis Baxter or whatever he is called who picked up a football and ran with it, god damn you.
That would be be William Webb Ellis - born in Salford incidentally.
Although, in the 1851 census, he claimed to have been born in Manchester - I suppose, leaving as a six-year old boy, he may just have mentioned the city everyone knew and the fine distinction between the two lost on him.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:32 pm

Backgammon wrote:
lancashire_hotpot wrote:American Sport - Crap - End.
Completely agree. There is a reason why hardly anyone outside america does their sports...

Because they're f#cking toss.
Yet American sport includes golf and tennis, at which they can be fairly good, not to mention such things as track. However, which sports one likes or doesn't like are a matter of taste. It seems foolish to dismiss them all as 'crap' or 'toss'. I assume the remark was aimed principally at baseball, basketball and their version of football. Obviously people outside the USA play the first two since they are Olympic sports. Personally I don't enjoy basketball, but can watch the others. I have met many expatriot footie fans now living in Canada over the last 40 years. Almost all of them became ice hockey fans as well, once they came to understand the game.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:38 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Backgammon wrote:
Completely agree. There is a reason why hardly anyone outside america does their sports...

Yet American sport includes golf and tennis, at which they can be fairly good, not to mention such things as track. However, which sports one likes or doesn't like are a matter of taste. It seems foolish to dismiss them all as 'crap' or 'toss'. I assume the remark was aimed principally at baseball, basketball and their version of football. Obviously people outside the USA play the first two since they are Olympic sports. Personally I don't enjoy basketball, but can watch the others. I have met many expatriot footie fans now living in Canada over the last 40 years. Almost all of them became ice hockey fans as well, once they came to understand the game.
Yes, but they aren't 'American Sports'
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:46 pm

don't think Montreal said they were....they said American sport includes...which has a different context.

Basketball gets my vote....you come score then we'll go score.....was a bit like the Charlton match at the Reebok last year only we didn't do the scoring bit either...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:51 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Backgammon wrote:

Well, if we define American sports as only those sports that only American play, the fact that "There is a reason why hardly anyone outside america does their sports..." is something of a self-evident truism. If on the other hand we restrict it to only those sports that Americans invented, the field becomes pretty limited. Basketball was invented by a Canadian, baseball is simply an extension of rounders, while American football derived from rugby and ice hockey was started by British garrison troops.. Lacrosse (and it is a bit different from the girls' game most of you are familiar with) was invented in North America, but by native Americans long before there was a United States. So I'm not sure how people are defining 'American sorts" and saying they are all crap. Anyway I would reject that evaluation and say rather that all sports have their afficionados and detractors, but to dismiss them on the basis of geography is simplistic.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Baseball.
Basketball.
Darts.
Croquet.
Polo.
Swimming.
"Soccer".
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Backgammon wrote:

Well, if we define American sports as only those sports that only American play, the fact that "There is a reason why hardly anyone outside america does their sports..." is something of a self-evident truism. If on the other hand we restrict it to only those sports that Americans invented, the field becomes pretty limited. Basketball was invented by a Canadian, baseball is simply an extension of rounders, while American football derived from rugby and ice hockey was started by British garrison troops.. Lacrosse (and it is a bit different from the girls' game most of you are familiar with) was invented in North America, but by native Americans long before there was a United States. So I'm not sure how people are defining 'American sorts" and saying they are all crap. Anyway I would reject that evaluation and say rather that all sports have their afficionados and detractors, but to dismiss them on the basis of geography is simplistic.
Well said sir.

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:09 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Mich Caine wrote:
Gertie wrote:I dunno I just can't muster the energy to hate any sport. I love most and some I don't quite understand the rules, but if other people really think it's great who am I to moan??? I really, really miss taking part in lots of sport now that I'm responsible for delivering Jussi Junior to the world. The only one I still play is darts and I really enjoy that even though I'm useless!!! I save hate for spiders, people who drop litter and lying, thieving estate agents.

I do like extreme sports and incidently my uncle loved to take part in extreme sports and was killed in a mountain bike accident and yes, he was a great man.
Yeah I miss participating in sports too. I still play golf, but the one sport I miss most playing is cricket, I remember many a time playing cricket on the beaches in the South of France with family and friends. That was a lot of fun.
I didn't realise you were pregnant too mich, congratualtions.
lmao - is gertie a woman? Well, like I say I don't get any opportunities to play games like cricket anymore. When you are at college and uni there are loads of sporting activities to get involved in, but times change. Right I am off to hide for a short while.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:17 pm

americantrotter wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Backgammon wrote: Completely agree. There is a reason why hardly anyone outside america does their sports...

Well said sir.
american sports - sports invented by americans, and adapted to suit TV and short attention spans, so that they can be "world champions" in competitions played solely or largely by just themselves - basketball, baseball, ice hockey, lacrosse and Gridiron.

Golf was invented bythe Scots (subject to the Chinese arguing the toss), the world champion being the winner in a worldwide field, as in tennis, rugby, soccer, cricket, and so on.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:33 pm

americantrotter wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: Yet American sport includes golf and tennis, at which they can be fairly good, not to mention such things as track. However, which sports one likes or doesn't like are a matter of taste. It seems foolish to dismiss them all as 'crap' or 'toss'. I assume the remark was aimed principally at baseball, basketball and their version of football. Obviously people outside the USA play the first two since they are Olympic sports. Personally I don't enjoy basketball, but can watch the others. I have met many expatriot footie fans now living in Canada over the last 40 years. Almost all of them became ice hockey fans as well, once they came to understand the game.
Well said sir.
american sports - sports invented by americans, and adapted to suit TV and short attention spans, so that they can be "world champions" in competitions played solely or largely by just themselves - basketball, baseball, ice hockey, lacrosse and Gridiron.
As noted above, none of these were invented by Americans and the American adaptions came before TV. Regardless, baseball is played in much of Latin America, Australia and countries in the Far East. Basketball is played all over the world these days. Americans make no claim to ice hockey as one of their sports - it is Canadian and is played in many countries in the northern parts of the Northern hemisphere. Only 'Gridiron' and lacrosse have strictly North American appeal, and lacrosse is a very minor sport. I grant you that World Series is hyperbolic, and any use of World Champion somewhat foolish if the entry field is limited to one country. This does not makes the sports either boring or entertaining, however, as noted it is a matter of taste.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:49 pm

basketball invented in springfield mass. for er YMCA training Scool there by a Canadian ( that's in teh americas I believe), the NBA still thinks of itself as producing world champions - to the point where they dragged out a load of pros for the olympics - sad very sad.

irrespective of Nothanger Abbey - baseball's rules come from New York, by a New Yorker.

NHL - 30 teams - 24 in USA, 6 canada (all in the Americas), invented by a Canadian - he'd be from North America I guess. Ice Hockey itself being "invented" from stick games brough over from europe by settlers.

so not sure how these aren't american games, them not having been played elswhere in their own forms before.

Nobody has said that the fact they are american itself makes them boring, they just happen to be so through their design.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:29 pm

communistworkethic wrote:basketball invented in springfield mass. for er YMCA training Scool there by a Canadian ( that's in teh americas I believe), the NBA still thinks of itself as producing world champions - to the point where they dragged out a load of pros for the olympics - sad very sad.

Canada is in the Americas but, usually, when the adjective American is used it refers to the USA - that was my understanding of the post, not yours, to which I responded. I don't think they meant all the Americas in which, for example, Brazil and Argentina play football fairly well.

irrespective of Nothanger Abbey - baseball's rules come from New York, by a New Yorker.

The notion of Abner Doubleday inventing baseball in Cooperstown, NY, has long since been discredited as a publicity fabrication

NHL - 30 teams - 24 in USA, 6 canada (all in the Americas), invented by a Canadian - he'd be from North America I guess. Ice Hockey itself being "invented" from stick games brough over from europe by settlers.

Ice hockey - as I had mentioned earlier - was invented by British garrison troops to keep active in the Canadian winter - they merely played field hockey on ice - the rules, etc. were codified later. The NHL champions do not call themselves world champions - they are Stanley Cup champions (from a trophy donated by Lord Stanley of Preston). The World Champions are those who win the World Championship (held three out of four years) or the Olympic Champion. I do not know, but I suspect the Soviet Union won more of these than any other country - but perhaps Canada did. American wins are few and far between. I should also note the players do not all come from North America - Montreal is captained by a Finn, Ottawa Toronto and Vancouver by Swedes

so not sure how these aren't american games, them not having been played elswhere in their own forms before.

The current rules of baseball and basketball were certainly codified in the US and exported internationally. They are currently played elsewhere in these forms. There were difference between NHL rules and international rules in hockey, although these have been largely eliminated. So all this means is that "American" games are played elsewhere and not just by Americans - a point I was making earlier.

Nobody has said that the fact they are american itself makes them boring, they just happen to be so through their design.

Well, that is your opinion and evidently that of others. As you know, I enjoy hockey and find it one of the more exciting spectator sports. I find basketball boring and cricket tediously long as a spectator sport (I am not referring here to limited over cricket). Yet some American (US that is) find basketball fascinating and my West Indian friends could watch cricket all day. Different strokes etc.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:45 pm

the ice hockey argument is not the view of the sport iteself as a puck was not used

don't know who abner wotsit is - I referred to Alexander Cartwright.

nobody really cares if they're played elsewhere, the practice is so miniscule in most cases as to be irrelevant. They're still American games and the fascination with them is lost on the majority of the world

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:57 pm

Basketball is played all over the world. The best teams happen to be South American and European. Check out the latest World Championships and Olympics for a lesson.

There is one game played by the majority of the world, football. It's pretty easy to use world participation sitting from that lofty position.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:07 pm

americantrotter wrote:Basketball is played all over the world. The best teams happen to be South American and European. Check out the latest World Championships and Olympics for a lesson.
only at intentaional level as you boys don't take it seriously except when suddenly Nike spunk millions over the olympic team and you're bringing in Bird, Jordan, Pippin etc
There is one game played by the majority of the world, football. It's pretty easy to use world participation sitting from that lofty position.
almost by definition. What the rest of that statement actually means or what relevance it has, I'm not sure.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:11 pm

communistworkethic wrote:the ice hockey argument is not the view of the sport iteself as a puck was not used

don't know who abner wotsit is - I referred to Alexander Cartwright.

nobody really cares if they're played elsewhere, the practice is so miniscule in most cases as to be irrelevant. They're still American games and the fascination with them is lost on the majority of the world
Certainly hockey was originally played with a ball - and the puck, which moved along the ice better, came later - but we don't date it from the introduction of the puck. However, the puck predated the NHL. Games evolve but whoever wrote the latest rules cannot claim to have invented the game. Similarly in curling the Scots chucked any flat rock along the ice for centuries, although now the stones must be standard.

Alexander Cartwright codified a set or rules for a game in the mid-Nineteenth Century that had been popular in the US for decades. I think a claim could be made that he invented the baseball diamond, i.e. gave standards for the interior playing field. Until then the game had been played with local rules that varied no doubt with the terrain and the temperament of the people. Modern rules are based on the Cartwright rules. The analogy I would make is that football is played under Football Association rules, but the FA did not invent the game. It was played in some chaotic form or other long before the FA - sufficiently chaotic that some Salford kid handled the ball and started a new game.

Abner Whatsit was a union general who lost Fort Sumpter to start the US Civil War. It was alleged that he invented baseball in 1839 (some years before Cartwright). It was supposed to be in a cow pasture in Coopertown NY, where baseball now has its Hall of Fame. This attribution is almost certainly nonsense.

I guess what I'm saying is that these games evolve from popular amateur pastimes and are later codified. They are not really invented as such.

As for no one caring - well, you don't care but others may do. You might even find that hockey is more of a spectator sport in Russia or Finland than football is.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:17 pm

americantrotter wrote:Basketball is played all over the world. The best teams happen to be South American and European. Check out the latest World Championships and Olympics for a lesson.
only at intentaional level as you boys don't take it seriously except when suddenly Nike spunk millions over the olympic team and you're bringing in Bird, Jordan, Pippin etc
almost by definition. What the rest of that statement actually means or what relevance it has, I'm not sure.
LOL Reebok sponsored the USA kit in 92. Truthfully the US were just tired of letting the college kids get waxed by adults. Was stupid really as the pros don;t care and the World are now better at the TEAM aspects of the game.