Phobias

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Phobias

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:03 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Promise i won;t jump up and down next time we go watch Arsenal, that would just be mean ;)
arsenal fans don't go in for that anyway, do they???
depends how many goals we score against you ;)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Promise i won;t jump up and down next time we go watch Arsenal, that would just be mean ;)
nahh - not having it... I'd be surprised if many of them actually stood up... never mind jumped about! (too busy taking pictures of themselves on their mobiles at the emirates and guessing the players' names...) :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:09 pm

thebish wrote:it doesn't really hamper my life that much - but I have a mild phobia of balconies...

I don't like being in a theatre on a balcony (ie. upper tier) and i don't like being on the second tier at football grounds - especially if fans start jumping up and down...

I always wonder how often or how recently structural engineers have declared it safe...

I feel better when i can see girders or pillars - and am much worse when that is all plastered in (often in theatres) - and the balcony extends over the space with no obvious means of support...

i find myself counting up the number of fat people and wondering of the engineers took that properly into account when tis very old theatre was built...

it's not a fear of heights - I'm generally ok with them - it's a fear of weight-bearing structures that don't have an obvious and blatantly adequate means of support that I can see with my own eyes!!!
If your theatre balcony collapsed it would probably be better to be on it than underneath it in the stalls.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:You lot would all be pretty rubbish in 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' ;)
Next time I see you I'll sit you on my shoulders, which, to you, will be extraordinarily high up :P
i don't mind heights, i don't have any real phobias. Rats are sweet and i'm in charge of spider control in the house cos hubby hates them.

Ironic. :wink:
:spank:

Next time we go watch Arsenal - Bolton (when you're back in the PL - haha) i'm taking charge of seating and will be making sure we are sat at the very top of the stand (its a LONG way down) we'll see how brave and cheeky you are then Mr C... Bish doesn't like heights either, you can hold hands and comfort each other. :mrgreen:

As I've said I have gotten over my 'discomfort' with heights and they bother me no more. I know what the bish means about unsupported balconies but, again, it's a mild concern rather than a phobia. I too am designated spider remover (never kill, they catch flies), mice despatcher (the cats have started bringing them in) Crane-fly catcher and cat-vomit mopper.

The only thing I can't stand, and I mean to the point of murderous rage, is Cockroaches. Can't abide the dirty, stinking, disease ridden, highly resistant bastards. If I see one it dies.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:it doesn't really hamper my life that much - but I have a mild phobia of balconies...

I don't like being in a theatre on a balcony (ie. upper tier) and i don't like being on the second tier at football grounds - especially if fans start jumping up and down...

I always wonder how often or how recently structural engineers have declared it safe...

I feel better when i can see girders or pillars - and am much worse when that is all plastered in (often in theatres) - and the balcony extends over the space with no obvious means of support...

i find myself counting up the number of fat people and wondering of the engineers took that properly into account when tis very old theatre was built...

it's not a fear of heights - I'm generally ok with them - it's a fear of weight-bearing structures that don't have an obvious and blatantly adequate means of support that I can see with my own eyes!!!
If your theatre balcony collapsed it would probably be better to be on it than underneath it in the stalls.
i often comfort myself with that very thought as i wait nervously for the curtain to rise!!! 8)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:39 pm

thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
nahh - not having it... I'd be surprised if many of them actually stood up... never mind jumped about! (too busy taking pictures of themselves on their mobiles at the emirates and guessing the players' names...) :wink:
Living dangerously there Bish! You're not too old for me to put you over my knee...

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:18 pm

As a general rule of thumb with me, if it has more than four legs, it dies.

I don't have a phobia of insects. I just don't like them. The missus, however, can't stand them, and it's more effort than I can be bothered with to try and catch your average blue-bottle or crane fly and then release them. Better by far to whack them until dead.

If I see a spider, however, it must die. Has to. Otherwise I'm unable to do anything else, for fear of it sneaking up on me. There's nothing worse than spotting one, turning your back to get a whacking device for two seconds, and turning back to find it's disappeared.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:22 pm

truewhite15 wrote:As a general rule of thumb with me, if it has more than four legs, it dies.

I don't have a phobia of insects. I just don't like them. The missus, however, can't stand them, and it's more effort than I can be bothered with to try and catch your average blue-bottle or crane fly and then release them. Better by far to whack them until dead.

If I see a spider, however, it must die. Has to. Otherwise I'm unable to do anything else, for fear of it sneaking up on me. There's nothing worse than spotting one, turning your back to get a whacking device for two seconds, and turning back to find it's disappeared.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/151-s-More-Spid ... 466&sr=8-1

(link does not lead to a picture of a spider)

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Fortunately, that image is broken. I highly suspect that you've ignored my previous pleas and posted a picture of a spider.

I thought men of the cloth were supposed to be gracious and sympathetic?

EDIT: You changed it. Fair enough, I retract my previous suspicion :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:28 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Fortunately, that image is broken. I highly suspect that you've ignored my previous pleas and posted a picture of a spider.

pah!! you try to be helpful!! 8)

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:29 pm

truewhite15 wrote:Fortunately, that image is broken. I highly suspect that you've ignored my previous pleas and posted a picture of a spider.

No. It leads to this.

Ya soft get. :wink:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:44 pm

thebish wrote:

pah!! you try to be helpful!! 8)
Many apologies, oh Bishly one.

Blame LLS and AT. They've got me all nervous. :wink:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Pfft. We posted actual photos, not links 8)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:08 pm

I actually talk to spiders. When I catch them (usual method, in a glass with a card over the end) I always release them in the garden and say "Off you go little fella, go spin a web somewhere" (they aren't always little fellas either, but it might get me brownie points at a later date.) :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I actually talk to spiders. When I catch them (usual method, in a glass with a card over the end) I always release them in the garden and say "Off you go little fella, go spin a web somewhere" (they aren't always little fellas either, but it might get me brownie points at a later date.) :wink:

House spiders have a 'homing' instinct. They'll be through your air brick and happily ensconced under your carpet before you can say 'AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I actually talk to spiders. When I catch them (usual method, in a glass with a card over the end) I always release them in the garden and say "Off you go little fella, go spin a web somewhere" (they aren't always little fellas either, but it might get me brownie points at a later date.) :wink:

House spiders have a 'homing' instinct. They'll be through your air brick and happily ensconced under your carpet before you can say 'AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!'
And that's why they get whacked repeatedly with newspaper. Or a bottle. Or any item/weapon that extends my range by up to a foot.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:36 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

And that's why they get whacked repeatedly with newspaper. Or a bottle. Or any item/weapon that extends my range by up to a foot.
if you squash them they multiply - like the skeletons on Jason and the argonauts... panic reproduction...

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Isn't there some daft stat out there that each of us eats at least 2 dozen spiders in a lifetime, unknowingly whilst asleep?

That's Truewhite sleeping under the covers tonight...........

Many moons ago, I worked with a crew who weren't shall we say, the most sympathetic of people. One lad declared one night that he had a phobia of dwarves. The following night, he was captured, tied to a chair and sat in front of the TV whilst they played a video of the original Snow White film. I've never seen a bloke go so pale or a chair leap so high in the air. He hadn't been joking and phobia didn't even come close, the poor bloke was close to wetting himself.

He had his revenge some months later when he discovered the prime mover had a thing about spiders. I've no idea how long it took him to collect so many or how he got them into the bloke's sleeping bag so quietly, but the screaming, swearing and hysterical patting down of self went on for a good few minutes.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:37 am

We had a similar conversation at uni last year in which a girl declared she had a phobia of tigers. That is not a phobia.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:23 am

Bijou Bob wrote:Isn't there some daft stat out there that each of us eats at least 2 dozen spiders in a lifetime, unknowingly whilst asleep?

That's Truewhite sleeping under the covers tonight...........

Many moons ago, I worked with a crew who weren't shall we say, the most sympathetic of people. One lad declared one night that he had a phobia of dwarves. The following night, he was captured, tied to a chair and sat in front of the TV whilst they played a video of the original Snow White film. I've never seen a bloke go so pale or a chair leap so high in the air. He hadn't been joking and phobia didn't even come close, the poor bloke was close to wetting himself.

He had his revenge some months later when he discovered the prime mover had a thing about spiders. I've no idea how long it took him to collect so many or how he got them into the bloke's sleeping bag so quietly, but the screaming, swearing and hysterical patting down of self went on for a good few minutes.
I've heard it's eight....