creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:28 pm
I agree with 10 of your prodicted XI and would be v v surprised if we saw anything else (but appreciate you're chewing the fat).

I think they'll view the seamers as a squad and you'll see rotation with those you've named and Wood, and probably Potts at some point too. I think they'll lean to Wood over Robinson as the default as a point of difference.

I can see where you're coming from, I think it's largely down to how fit Stokes is (and possibly how much Pope and Root can rein him in!). Even if he's got a couple of shortish spells an innings in him you're team then has 6 bowling options that are decent.

I wouldn't be fecking around with the batting. Crawley I'm not convinced by but I'd want a proper opener in instead. We've tried shoehorning middle order batsmen in there and they just don't have the technique.
Pretty sure Robinson (if fit) plays first test with Jimmy (again IF fit) and its Wood or Broad in the selection calculator.

But I think Wood doesn't really fit a three man attack on a flat Edgbaston simply because of the number of overs required. He isn't a suitable workhorse.

Its why personally I'd like him in on top of those three. But as you say that's not happening.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:03 pm

I think it'll be two from Wood Robinson and Broad. Can see why you lean to Robinson ahead of Broad but I don't know. Ashes, big experience, had Warner on toast last time. Big call to leave him out.

Also think that unless it's perfect bowling conditions we'll put them in first. Jimmy and Broad sharing the new ball under hopefully cloudy skies to get it underway, what's not to love?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:10 pm

I think when you get down to 10 of the 11 (type of thing) and the dilemma is extra bowler v extra batsman, it typically comes down to "let's have a look at the track" :-)

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:25 pm

Not really into Cricket, but just booked some tickets to watch Manchester Originals (yep) v Northern Superchargers (yep) in the Hundred in August..

I can quite happily watch limited overs cricket with a few beers, mind!

£70 for 2 adults and 2 kids isn't bad going
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:40 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:25 pm
Not really into Cricket, but just booked some tickets to watch Manchester Originals (yep) v Northern Superchargers (yep) in the Hundred in August..

I can quite happily watch limited overs cricket with a few beers, mind!

£70 for 2 adults and 2 kids isn't bad going
I'm not sure how much "watching" actually goes on in any form of "live" cricket, when there in person. If there's 90 overs in a day, I'd be surprised if many folks actually watched more than 20 in long form cricket, depending what's going on in the game. It's a chance to do all those "remember when" war stories, have a beer or two and crack open the hamper... :-)

I was actually quite stunned that when Warne got Gatting at OT with "the ball of the century," I was parked down towards fine leg and actually saw it live - then clearly had to watch the replay to work out if it did, what I thought I saw. :-)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:14 pm

Not seen any of it, but Aussies 327-3 v India at the close...40 odd for Warner, but Smith 95 unbeaten and Head on 146 unbeaten at nearly a run a ball...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:13 pm

Well in a bit of better news, they lost their last 7 for just over 100...with Siraj ending up with 4.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:44 pm

Only seen some glimpses but Aussies have battered India. Look ominously good. Nothing special. Not a side of Warnes, McGraths and Borders.

But they are very very good at what they do. Big strapping quicks who all are accurate and critically have the variety to exploit different conditions and tracks. Lyon is a very good spinner.

Batting looks average bar Smith and Labuschange but looks like they will dig in when necessary.

Such a shame the ashes wasn’t last year. Feel like we could have matched them and it been a series for the ages. Now not so sure. They just look fitter and stronger to me.

The worry is I don’t see an obvious weakness in their side.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:55 pm

Yeah they're pretty good. That's a big statement "batting average without Smith and Labuschange... :-)

Didn't Head hit 150 or so in the first innings? And whilst Warner might not have posted a big score, he often manages 40+

Are we actually much different than last year?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:55 pm
Yeah they're pretty good. That's a big statement "batting average without Smith and Labuschange... :-)

Didn't Head hit 150 or so in the first innings? And whilst Warner might not have posted a big score, he often manages 40+

Are we actually much different than last year?
I think it’s the fact that all our bowlers bar Broad have fitness concerns and obviously we’ve lost Leach.

To me it just feels like they have more in the tank to break partnerships.

We just have too many bowling injuries. Ok Archer isn’t a shock though he’s a big miss. But Jimmy having an issue, Robinson having an issue, Wood being Wood, Stokes’ knee definitely being in worse shape than a year ago….

I dunno. Doesn’t feel as competitive as to me it looked last year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:14 pm

I thought for wicket taking, you preferred Moeen to Leach? Which isn't a crime, Leach probably better at holding an end.

Archer didn't play last summer, so yeah big miss but not actually a change...

I guess I'm not feeling "we're a lot worse" as the starting point to last year.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:14 pm
I thought for wicket taking, you preferred Moeen to Leach? Which isn't a crime, Leach probably better at holding an end.

Archer didn't play last summer, so yeah big miss but not actually a change...

I guess I'm not feeling "we're a lot worse" as the starting point to last year.
Yeah Moeen as a wicket taker but probably not the one who hasn’t picked up a red ball in two years…

We go into the first test Friday with the likelihood that only one of our bowlers have played test cricket this year and most haven’t played anything for a few weeks.

It feels weaker to me than last year. Feels undercooked compared to the Aussies who are all peaking and fit.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:26 pm

Last bit. T'was ever thus! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:50 am

England bat first. Don’t mess this up lads.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:53 am

Seemed to e a long time coming. Get in there lads. No Test like the Ashes.... :Jedi:

:oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:03 am

We were going at 24 and over.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:20 am

Duckett out with a really poor shot choice. Didn’t look comfortable at all out there tbh. Pitch is as benign as they come.

Need 500 on here to be competitive.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:20 am
Duckett out with a really poor shot choice. Didn’t look comfortable at all out there tbh. Pitch is as benign as they come.

Yeah, feels like there's runs in it. Good toss to win.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:35 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:20 am

Yeah, feels like there's runs in it. Good toss to win.
Crucial toss to win. England need to bat well and long. There is nowt in this pitch for me.

Big first innings then hope scoreboard pressure gets to them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:04 pm

Australias morning by a mile. Their attack is just able to get wickets on a flat benign pitch and sadly I think we’d struggle.

Big shame for Crawley but that was more or less unplayable. Lyon has Pope on toast too like last time which is a concern.

England simply cannot afford to lose more wickets in the next session. Middle order has to fire.