Today I'm happy about......

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Always hopeful
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Today I'm happy about......

Post by Always hopeful » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:18 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:Took Master Hopeful No.1 on a driving lesson yesterday down a single track country lane. "If a car comes the other way, don't panic, slow down and be careful where you steer the car, then assess how best to pass each other".

Seconds later a car came the other way. He panicked, slammed the brakes on. ABS kicked in. He steered into the hedge. I swore, quickly grabbed the steering wheel to get us out of the hedge. He continued to try and steer into the hedge, putting more force into the steering wheel, thus neutralising my efforts. Eventually we ground to a halt, just missing damaging our car and the one coming the other way.

Ah the joys. Good luck BP.
Not the Porche I hope.

I have to ask why you'd take him down a single track lane on a first lesson.
It wasn't his first lesson. He's been learning for quite a while now.

He wanted a lift to the industrial estate, so rather than chauffeur him, I made him earn it. I should have known better. It almost cost me big time. On reflection, those country roads at the back of yours are probably too much of a challenge for a learner. We both learnt a lesson.
Hope is what keeps us going.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:25 pm

They certainly are a bit scary. It's only recently they've allowed women to drive them and it's still controversial.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:50 pm

Wasn't so much a driving lesson, more like an instruction in the basics. Drove up to the Reebok Macron car park not realising that you can't get on there at weekends. Drove around onto the hotel car park and found a quiet spot. After a few stalls, she managed to drive for about 15 feet, stalled and then wanted to go home. It's a start!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:03 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:Wasn't so much a driving lesson, more like an instruction in the basics. Drove up to the Reebok Macron car park not realising that you can't get on there at weekends. Drove around onto the hotel car park and found a quiet spot. After a few stalls, she managed to drive for about 15 feet, stalled and then wanted to go home. It's a start!
I may have this half-cocked, but as I recall someone came to grief on a motorbike on the club car park when they shouldn't have been on it, and the club got done for it. Something like that anyway.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:Wasn't so much a driving lesson, more like an instruction in the basics. Drove up to the Reebok Macron car park not realising that you can't get on there at weekends. Drove around onto the hotel car park and found a quiet spot. After a few stalls, she managed to drive for about 15 feet, stalled and then wanted to go home. It's a start!
I may have this half-cocked, but as I recall someone came to grief on a motorbike on the club car park when they shouldn't have been on it, and the club got done for it. Something like that anyway.
Yep. That came to mind afterwards. Fair enough.

I was struggling to find a big open space to take her and that was the first that came to mind. Damn those supermarkets and their 24 hour opening!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:12 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:

I was struggling to find a big open space to take her and that was the first that came to mind. Damn those supermarkets and their 24 hour opening!
Was just thinking - with you being over in Bury what about the disused cinema car park on Pilsworth, but I think they've put the anti-pikey boulders down.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:

Was just thinking - with you being over in Bury what about the disused cinema car park on Pilsworth, but I think they've put the anti-pikey boulders down.
Good shout. Not sure about the boulders. Wouldn't be surprised though.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:45 pm

... & you've not even tried her with reversing or parking yet.

Any big supermarket car park, after hours, gives acres of space be.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:51 pm

No doubt a few will remember the Beaumont Road School of stalls and flat-battery days. Used to be the number one learning area for Bolton School of Motoring (complete with cobbles) ... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:53 pm

British Aerospace car park it was for me. Helped having a Driving Instructor for a Dad.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:No doubt a few will remember the Beaumont Road School of stalls and flat-battery days. Used to be the number one learning area for Bolton School of Motoring (complete with cobbles) ... :wink:
Yowzers, Tango. I remember Beaumont (pronounced Byoo-mont, of course ;) ) Road being cobbled. I was a kid at the time though. All my emergency stop - three point turn type shenanigans were all carried out on Church Road though.

I was taught to drive a tractor at the age of 11 though. Image

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:No doubt a few will remember the Beaumont Road School of stalls and flat-battery days. Used to be the number one learning area for Bolton School of Motoring (complete with cobbles) ... :wink:
Yowzers, Tango. I remember Beaumont (pronounced Byoo-mont, of course ;) ) Road being cobbled. I was a kid at the time though. All my emergency stop - three point turn type shenanigans were all carried out on Church Road though.

"Byoo-mont" it was indeed. :mrgreen: Was actually The British School of Motoring then, not the Bolton, my error. The instructor used to put a match-stalk in the rear window as a guide to help with reversing..My first attempt at an emergency stop (during the test) was a pre-revenge thing for the bowler-hatted Pxllock I knew was going t fail me. An absolute classic that had him lose his hat and clip board and rick his neck. Was almost worth failing for. :D

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

"Byoo-mont" it was indeed. :mrgreen: Was actually The British School of Motoring then, not the Bolton, my error. The instructor used to put a match-stalk in the rear window as a guide to help with reversing..My first attempt at an emergency stop (during the test) was a pre-revenge thing for the bowler-hatted Pxllock I knew was going t fail me. An absolute classic that had him lose his hat and clip board and rick his neck. Was almost worth failing for. :D
He's claim for that nowadays. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:46 pm

It was where I started - tarmac in the middle and cobbles on both sides IIRC. I remember it chiefly for what we called kangaroo petrol to which I contributed a few jumps. In 1961 my instructor was a Mr. Layton from the British School of motoring. I passed first time but I avoided the dreaded examiner of the day whose name was Harry Start.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
It was where I started - tarmac in the middle and cobbles on both sides IIRC. I remember it chiefly for what we called kangaroo petrol to which I contributed a few jumps. In 1961 my instructor was a Mr. Layton from the British School of motoring. I passed first time but I avoided the dreaded examiner of the day whose name was Harry Start.
Was that not Stark? If it was, that's the Mr Bowler Hat who failed me. He failed so many he eventually got complained about and sacked/dismissed.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:34 pm

The BSM office was the first (or last) property on the long St. George's Road terrace. I tapped off with the office admin girl, the delectable Martina.

Now ... THAT's brought some memories back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:12 pm

bobo the clown wrote:The BSM office was the first (or last) property on the long St. George's Road terrace. I tapped off with the office admin girl, the delectable Martina.

And I'm betting your weapon of choice (for driving of course) was a ....Triumph Herald.... :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:The BSM office was the first (or last) property on the long St. George's Road terrace. I tapped off with the office admin girl, the delectable Martina.

And I'm betting your weapon of choice (for driving of course) was a ....Triumph Herald.... :D
Triumph Toledo.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:52 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Triumph Toledo.
I took my lessons (10) and passed my test in a Dolomite 1150. I'd absolutely love to own one now, just for fun.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Was that not Stark? If it was, that's the Mr Bowler Hat who failed me. He failed so many he eventually got complained about and sacked/dismissed.
It was 53 years ago so it could have been Stark. He was notorious for failing people and it was a lottery if you got him. I was lucky. Since I never saw him I couldn't vouch for the headgear. I could ask my sister who did get him and actually passed as well.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.