The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:04 pm

c*nts, c*nts!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:24 pm

Which of you pack of bastards is there tomorrow then?

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:35 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Which of you pack of bastards is there tomorrow then?
In hi viz again.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm away for the next 3 weekends. Good luck to everyone doing it tomorrow :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:56 pm

How did you do Bruce?

Did my usual 5km end of month race this morning. 21.21 which is 17 seconds outside of my pb.

Nearly there......

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:How did you do Bruce?

Did my usual 5km end of month race this morning. 21.21 which is 17 seconds outside of my pb.

Nearly there......
A slow, miserable slog through the drizzle, GtE. More training runs required. Well done on your time, Buddy.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:How did you do Bruce?

Nearly there......
A slow, miserable slog through the drizzle, GtE. More training runs required. Well done on your time, Buddy.

Oh dear. At least you did it though. Unlike the feckless tarts who hide behind hi-vis and duvets. :grin:

#toaman

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:38 pm

I'm doing the Yorkshire Coast 10k tomorrow morning. A gentle reintroduction to running after 2 months completely off.
Bit daft but I entered months ago and am going to see family anyway. Sore legs coming up!

Few beers in Beverley tonight, pre race looseners.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Sounds tough LE. Enjoy.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:33 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I'm doing the Yorkshire Coast 10k tomorrow morning. A gentle reintroduction to running after 2 months completely off.
Bit daft but I entered months ago and am going to see family anyway. Sore legs coming up!

Few beers in Beverley tonight, pre race looseners.
Good luck with that, Dude. You'll be reet, Lad.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:32 pm

Got round in one piece. Struggling to walk downstairs today quads are so tight and sore. To be expected off no training though. Time to get off my arse and start getting fit.
Reaslly nice race though that I would recommend to anyone. Starts at thespa in South Bay, along the coast, into the park at north bay then back out near the sealife centre and back the way you came, for any of you who know the place. 2000 places sold out early, nice atmosphere.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:37 pm

I suppose that I could post this in the 'Happy' thread, but as it's sporty and linked to my desire to eventually compete in a sprint triathlon, i'll stick it in here.

In the last week I have made steps to conquer an almost lifelong fear of water. A bad experience on my first ever visit to a swimming baths, coupled with missing school lessons a couple of years later after being hit by a car had left me with a dread of getting into a pool. Much to my shame this includes the period in which my daughter grew up, resulting in me missing out on so much leisure time with her. The fact that it has taken me until the age of 48 to do this embarrasses me.

However, with much encouragement from a fellow TW'er :pray: I spoke to the swimming teacher at work, who was only too willing to give me some one to one tuition. Having stepped gingerly into the water last Wednesday, afraid to lift both feet off the floor, I now find myself (two lessons in) enthusiastically throwing myself into everything that has been asked of me. I am staggered at what I have been able to achieve in less than a week.

I have managed to 'swim' a few widths of the pool and my technique is shit to say the least, but the feeling of pride in myself is amazing. All I seem to be thinking about at the moment is how to improve and I cannot wait for my next lesson! It just goes to show that you are never too old!

The purchase of a new bike, a few more swimming lessons and some lessons on staying on my feet whilst running and i'll be reet!

Just for the record. No, I don't take my brolly into the pool or wear a mac! #toaman

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:18 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote: an almost lifelong fear of water.
You'll not feckin melt! :wink:

Great stuff that BP. Iron Man for your 50th? :oyea:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:19 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:I suppose that I could post this in the 'Happy' thread, but as it's sporty and linked to my desire to eventually compete in a sprint triathlon, i'll stick it in here.

In the last week I have made steps to conquer an almost lifelong fear of water. A bad experience on my first ever visit to a swimming baths, coupled with missing school lessons a couple of years later after being hit by a car had left me with a dread of getting into a pool. Much to my shame this includes the period in which my daughter grew up, resulting in me missing out on so much leisure time with her. The fact that it has taken me until the age of 48 to do this embarrasses me.

However, with much encouragement from a fellow TW'er :pray: I spoke to the swimming teacher at work, who was only too willing to give me some one to one tuition. Having stepped gingerly into the water last Wednesday, afraid to lift both feet off the floor, I now find myself (two lessons in) enthusiastically throwing myself into everything that has been asked of me. I am staggered at what I have been able to achieve in less than a week.

I have managed to 'swim' a few widths of the pool and my technique is shit to say the least, but the feeling of pride in myself is amazing. All I seem to be thinking about at the moment is how to improve and I cannot wait for my next lesson! It just goes to show that you are never too old!

The purchase of a new bike, a few more swimming lessons and some lessons on staying on my feet whilst running and i'll be reet!

Just for the record. No, I don't take my brolly into the pool or wear a mac! #toaman
That's fantastic. Well done mate. Have you a race in mind?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:20 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:I suppose that I could post this in the 'Happy' thread, but as it's sporty and linked to my desire to eventually compete in a sprint triathlon, i'll stick it in here.

That's fantastic. Well done mate. Have you a race in mind?
Nope. Just a distant dream of one day competing in one. It was a challenge I set myself earlier in the year, without an end date. TBH I fully expected to have bought a bike before setting foot in a swimming pool!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:21 pm

Well I think it's an excellent start. Now book a sprint tri for next May and you'll really have a target. Most are pool swims of 400m. You should be up to speed by then.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:21 am

Such an important life skill. Well done BP :oyea:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:36 pm

Absolutely buzzing. 5k race tonight and I broke 21 minutes for the first time ever. 20.58 (unofficial). Awaiting confirmation but my previous best on this course was 21.50 last month. Fingers crossed the official score is the same.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:45 pm

Boom top man!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:09 am

Well done GtE! :pray: