Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Today I'm neither Angry nor Happy about....

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Turn of the last century British flats have radiators? Who'd have thought it? Though unbled radiators do make such noises.
There are rumours that much older stately homes, castles and cathedrals have computers these day Monty. Shocking. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: Turn of the last century British flats have radiators? Who'd have thought it?
Everywhere's got radiators these days. Last bastions of un-radiatorred places will be communal toilets, listed historic buildings, and Victorian back-to-backs with little 96 year olds who've lived there all their lives clinging on in squalid determination.
Gosh - it wasn't so long ago we North American visitors would die of hypothermia if we ran out of shillings.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:17 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: Turn of the last century British flats have radiators? Who'd have thought it?
Everywhere's got radiators these days. Last bastions of un-radiatorred places will be communal toilets, listed historic buildings, and Victorian back-to-backs with little 96 year olds who've lived there all their lives clinging on in squalid determination.
Gosh - it wasn't so long ago we North American visitors would die of hypothermia if we ran out of shillings.
Showing your age there. We use Euros now. :wink:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Showing your age there. We use Euros now. :wink:
That's meter inflation for you... and no one on here thinks of me as young - just younger than Tango and Dujon.
Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Showing your age there. We use Euros now. :wink:
We do ?!?!?! :conf: :shock:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 am

boltonboris wrote:Whilst we're on this, I don't feel quite as weird saying it..

Our little girl is seven weeks old and in the last 2/3 weeks has started to smile and generally seem more aware of her surroundings. Anyway, she keeps looking into the corner of the room and onto the stairs and chuckling and smiling at seemingly nothing. We have a lamp in the corner of the bedroom and whenever we're not using it, we switch it off on the wall.. However when we take her into the bedroom she looks over into the corner where this lamp is and it starts to feckin' glow and flicker like it's having a power surge!!.. It NEVER happens when I'm in there alone.. Only when we take Erica in.

Feckin' freaks me out.
Have you checked for any 6's underneath the hairline?

And can you often hear O Fortuna playing gently inside your head?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Just three 9's - he's alright.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:Just three 9's - he's alright.
Whew - that was a close one. :D

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:06 pm

The news of Lucasfilm being purchased by Disney, and the announcement of a Star Wars: Episode 7.

I'm a bit of a Star Wars nut, but I don't know what to make of this. With all the established fiction out there, how much of it will be steamrollered by any new movies?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm intrigued to see what the films will be like. I heard they'd outlined "at least 3" new films.

Part of the deal was also for the purchase of the Indiana Jones franchise. I always thought they were shite though.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:28 pm

truewhite15 wrote:The news of Lucasfilm being purchased by Disney, and the announcement of a Star Wars: Episode 7.

I'm a bit of a Star Wars nut, but I don't know what to make of this. With all the established fiction out there, how much of it will be steamrollered by any new movies?
More Jar-Jar Binks do you think ? Can't wait.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 pm

I hate the use of the word "franchise" in relation to films.

This is shitehawk speak for "crushing disappointment as you realise, yet again, there is no ending to this film because theres no money in that".

The bastards.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Turn of the last century British flats have radiators? Who'd have thought it? Though unbled radiators do make such noises.
Radiators always make me think of the miles of steam pipes that used to run round schools and churches. We used to line milk bottles up on them in bad weather to make it drinkable and school was absolutely the best place to be in snow and ice weather. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Radiators always make me think of the miles of steam pipes that used to run round schools and churches. We used to line milk bottles up on them in bad weather to make it drinkable and school was absolutely the best place to be in snow and ice weather. :wink:
Do school kids still get their half pint of milk a day at school?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:19 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Don't know. I left in 1953. :wink:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Don't know. I left in 1953. :wink:
This made me curious - the act is still in effect but under threat.
Critics of the United Kingdom's school milk program are becoming more vocal, challenging the widespread national assumption that drinking milk is good for children.

"From Winston Churchill's wartime order to keep the milk flowing, which was formalized under the 1946 School Milk Act ... the idea that it is natural, healthy and an essential part of a good diet has been unchallenged," writes Andrew Marszal in The Telegraph.

That consensus is wavering. Recently, junior health minister Anne Milton suggested that the national program to provide free milk for children under five should abolished. And research continues to emerge that milk is neither an essential nor healthy part of the human diet.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/030426_milk_ ... z2AuKudOaC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So much for drinka pinta milka day.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:48 pm

Ah, the milk for schools programme still makes me chuckle. For half the year in Bolton the milk would freeze in the crated bottles left outside pending use. In Australia for half the year the milk would curdle whilst left outside in the heat. Both situations left the milk useless for consumption purposes. Yuk! I would imagine though that the dairy industry rubbed its collective hands in glee at such a steady and increasing customer base.

I can't remember when it was abolished here, but it's a good long time ago.

The article referenced in your quote, Monty, made me pause and think something along the lines of 'what is this mob on about':
naturalnews.com wrote:Yet even organic milk has more than 30 proteins that can produce adverse reactions in the body, such that 7.5 percent of British children suffer from dairy allergies. Milk may also produce eczema, constipation, lingering ear infections and frequent colds. In addition, as many as 75 percent of adults may be lactose intolerant.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:57 pm

Dujon wrote:Ah, the milk for schools programme still makes me chuckle. For half the year in Bolton the milk would freeze in the crated bottles left outside pending use. In Australia for half the year the milk would curdle whilst left outside in the heat. Both situations left the milk useless for consumption purposes. Yuk! I would imagine though that the dairy industry rubbed its collective hands in glee at such a steady and increasing customer base.

I can't remember when it was abolished here, but it's a good long time ago.

The article referenced in your quote, Monty, made me pause and think something along the lines of 'what is this mob on about':
naturalnews.com wrote:Yet even organic milk has more than 30 proteins that can produce adverse reactions in the body, such that 7.5 percent of British children suffer from dairy allergies. Milk may also produce eczema, constipation, lingering ear infections and frequent colds. In addition, as many as 75 percent of adults may be lactose intolerant.
Just another paragraph to add to the "How did we survive?" document, Dujon. :wink:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 pm

There are times, TANGO, when I think that your 'signature' (although in a different context) is right.

I have lost count of the numbers of conflicting 'expert' advice given out over the last couple of decades; eggs are bad for you and then they are not, red meat is anathema to the human body and then it's not, good fats and bad fats seem to change places more often than chess pieces. Don't get me started on how to rear a child. Aaarghh! :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:16 am

Dujon wrote:There are times, TANGO, when I think that your 'signature' (although in a different context) is right.
It's actually just a line from a favourite song Dujon, but yes it applies to quite a lot. I'm not in the "wise men" category though. :wink: