General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:41 pm
I hope the contractor at Notre-Dame de Paris had his insurance premiums paid up.
That's really awful news and I sure hope there's no loss of life involved. Notre Dame is an icon in the Catholic religion, right back to the 13th century. .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 pm
Enoch wrote:
I hope the contractor at Notre-Dame de Paris had his insurance premiums paid up.
That's really awful news and I sure hope there's no loss of life involved. Notre Dame is an icon in the Catholic religion, right back to the 13th century. .
Worldwide and to many of all faiths Tango, simply it is one of those places whose existence leaves people in awe much like the pyramids.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:11 am

I'm with Hoboh's comment, TANGO. :shock:

I am in no sense a religious person, as I think you know, but to see such a wonderful man made construction damaged to such an extent almost brought tears to my eyes. My sympathy is offered to you and all others of the Roman Catholic faith who venerate the cathedral for what it stands.

Cheers,
John

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 am

Hoboh wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:47 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Worldwide and to many of all faiths Tango, simply it is one of those places whose existence leaves people in awe much like the pyramids.
Just discussing this with an atheist colleague. Doesn't matter if you have faith or none, places such as Notre Dame just leave the onlooker in a silent, respectful, gawping awe.

I see that The Donald decided to chime up. OK, so we're trying to put a fire out in one of the most historic buildings on Earth which is full of delicate artefacts, so let's treat it like a forest fire and get the water tankers out. The man really is the biggest 4ucking imbecile that it's possible to imagine.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:22 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 am
Hoboh wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Enoch wrote:
Just discussing this with an atheist colleague. Doesn't matter if you have faith or none, places such as Notre Dame just leave the onlooker in a silent, respectful, gawping awe.

I see that The Donald decided to chime up. OK, so we're trying to put a fire out in one of the most historic buildings on Earth which is full of delicate artefacts, so let's treat it like a forest fire and get the water tankers out. The man really is the biggest 4ucking imbecile that it's possible to imagine.
On that I offer not the slightest disagreement. Depite the sheer tragedy of the situation, I almost laughed reading his "solution" ....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 am
Hoboh wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Enoch wrote:

Wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest if the wanker had used the situation to opine about the problem with old buildings and offered to replace it with one of his own tower monstrosities.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Its really incredible to believe that this guy is President of a land with 328 million people. :shock:

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Even as an Atheist, as a human it is fxcking depressing regarding what has been lost and extremely sad.
As a person, I'm fxcking angry with the State and politicians of France who allowed the the building to deteriorate so badly to the point of near destruction.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 pm

I've been to Notre-Dame de Paris three times and admired it's architecture and craftsmanship.

But nothing lasts forever and I'm saddened to think untold millions will be spent crafting a replica of what was once so magnificent.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:44 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 pm
I've been to Notre-Dame de Paris three times and admired it's architecture and craftsmanship.

But nothing lasts forever and I'm saddened to think untold millions will be spent crafting a replica of what was once so magnificent.
It's a living thing though, with every generation adding it's own part to not only the architecture, but also to its history. Let's spend those untold millions doing our part. Maybe you think we should knock up a Carrefour there instead?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:44 pm
Enoch wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 pm

It's a living thing though, with every generation adding it's own part to not only the architecture, but also to its history. Let's spend those untold millions doing our part. Maybe you think we should knock up a Carrefour there instead?
:lol:

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 pm

I've been to Elgin too, every bit as inspiring.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:33 pm
As a person, I'm fxcking angry with the State and politicians of France who allowed the the building to deteriorate so badly to the point of near destruction.

Indeed, wouldn't spend a few centimes each year on property maintenance but will throw billion francs or so at a replica.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:59 pm
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Indeed, wouldn't spend a few centimes each year on property maintenance but will throw billion francs or so at a replica.
Whilst agreeing with the negligent sentiments entirely, the "few centimes", on a building of intricate compexity like Notre Dame, would take more than the cost of a few penny candles for upkeep. Back in 1967 York Minster needed two million pounds to save it from collapse. In today's money that would be about 38 million. I actually remember it happening (wife's brother lived in York) and we even went under the building to see the underpinning in progress. Link below.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/151924 ... years-ago/

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 pm

"Network Rail has recorded 619 balloon-related incidents - many dangerous - across England, Scotland and Wales in the past year."

Seems helium-filled balloons are causing havoc with train services. Who'd a thunk it!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:03 am

£300 apiece from Mastercard. Hand it over ya bastids :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:03 am

I see the mard prick lost his court case against the nasty lady. Good.

A victory for free speech for the left against the snowflake censorious right.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Sorry I was late for work today boss. You won't believe me when I tell you.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:17 pm

"An individual walking into an iconic location like St Patrick's cathedral carrying over four gallons of gasoline, two bottles of lighter fluid and lighters, is something we would have grave concern over," said Deputy Police Commissioner John Miller.

He knows his onions does that fella!

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:50 pm

Enoch wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 pm
"Network Rail has recorded 619 balloon-related incidents - many dangerous - across England, Scotland and Wales in the past year."

Seems helium-filled balloons are causing havoc with train services. Who'd a thunk it!
Did you know the world is running out of helium. And we use it willy nilly to fill kids' balloons. 98% of the gas Helium is... wait for it... mined. The biggest 'Helium mine', in Poland, has just run out.
We currently have no method of Helium manufacture. When it's gone it's gone.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください