Le Tour!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Le Tour!

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:18 pm

Always hopeful wrote:Wiggins's opening few words when handed a mic on the Champs Elysee after collecting trophy: "and now we're going to draw the tickets for the raffle". (or words to that effect). Absolute classic!! I wonder how that translated???!!!
Or, in best Colin Crompton mode: "The pies have come" :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Il Pirate wrote:its difficult to get across how huge Le Tour is,

And it's even bigger than that. Superb work by Sky today. Cavendish ? I cannot praise enough. Who would of thought a predominately football orientated broadcast company (and Bond villianesque set up, apparantly, so I've been told allegedly) would provide the financial platform for a British TdF Winner? Funny old world innit? But as a clubman cyclist since 1970, I'm loving every minute!
Cycling has really taken off in the UK over the last 10 years and it's going to go stratospheric if Wiggans hangs in there. I'm really chuffed for folks like you IP who were voices in the wilderness of what was a tiny sport in the UK all them years ago. Have you read Matt Seatons book, The Escape Artist? It's a good read featuring competitive cycling in the UK in the 70s

I haven't read that Harry, but will certainly check it out. Couldn't have been prouder yesterday. I know comparisons are redundant really, but the wanderers winning the champions league would come close to the feeling...............

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:09 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Always hopeful wrote:Wiggins's opening few words when handed a mic on the Champs Elysee after collecting trophy: "and now we're going to draw the tickets for the raffle". (or words to that effect). Absolute classic!! I wonder how that translated???!!!
Or, in best Colin Crompton mode: "The pies have come" :wink:
GIVE ORDER!!
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:28 pm

So, Lance Armstrong isn't going to fight the doping charges and will probably be stripped of his 7 Tour titles.......seems a bit strange if he is innocent of doping, why not fight to clear your name?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:36 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:So, Lance Armstrong isn't going to fight the doping charges and will probably be stripped of his 7 Tour titles.......seems a bit strange if he is innocent of doping, why not fight to clear your name?
He says because he is tired of it all - he's been fighting for years. He says he has been cleared by hundreds of negative doping tests and no positive ones. Any evidence against him is testimony from teammates. His case was supported by the international cycling body who may take it to CAS. This is understandable (although this doesn't mean I think he is innocent)
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:09 pm

A hero's life and reputation are ruined, based on the testimony of cheat and liar Floyd Landis.

It's a national disgrace.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:24 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:A hero's life and reputation are ruined, based on the testimony of cheat and liar Floyd Landis.

It's a national disgrace.
Or he's guilty of cheating and taking drugs.

In which case, as you say, it's a national disgrace.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Maybe, but he never failed a drug test despite being the most-tested athlete in history. Stripping him of his titles based on the word of guys like this is just an embarrassment.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:44 pm

Haven't they re-tested his samples with new test methods?
Sto ut Serviam

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:39 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Haven't they re-tested his samples with new test methods?
Have they? And if so, what did they find? Sources please.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Apparently urine samples from the 1999 tour were re-tested in 2005 for EPO as a study into more modern and different techniques. L'equipe got hold of the study data, found that some of Armstrong's tests were positive and published it. There were so many holes in it though that no conclusion could be drawn, and I'm pretty sure Armstrong successfully sued L'epuipe on the back of it.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Even re-testing samples with new methods seems questionable here, unless you're going to do it for every athlete who has ever competed at a high level.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 pm

But you said
H. Pedersen wrote:Maybe, but he never failed a drug test despite being the most-tested athlete in history. Stripping him of his titles based on the word of guys like this is just an embarrassment.
That's not the case, is it?
Sto ut Serviam

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:10 pm

And now 11 of his team mates are telling lies

Either that, or he's a cheat
Sto ut Serviam

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:41 pm

It does appear to be a case of 'neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail' shall keep the the US postal Service from delivering their packages.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:It does appear to be a case of 'neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail' shall keep the the US postal Service from delivering their packages.
:D especially 'the sleet'.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:30 am

There was a programme on a while back about how they still have samples of every US athlete from the '84 Olympic Games. You know the one where The US team was on home soil and under huge pressure to win outright. Well anyway, the lab started retesting them with modern methods and up-to-date knowledge (anonymously, they say) and when they got to about 50, all positive, gave up and put pandorra back in her box for fear of the maelstrom they might unleash.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:02 am

Lord Kangana wrote:There was a programme on a while back about how they still have samples of every US athlete from the '84 Olympic Games. You know the one where The US team was on home soil and under huge pressure to win outright. Well anyway, the lab started retesting them with modern methods and up-to-date knowledge (anonymously, they say) and when they got to about 50, all positive, gave up and put pandorra back in her box for fear of the maelstrom they might unleash.
I believe (but have no evidence for) that all sports have cheats using drugs. I don't think football is exempt from this premise.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 pm

I'd agree. I don't believe in mairacles, in sport or any other walk of life.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:43 pm

I suppose the difference is that all the drugs in the world wouldn't make Darren Pratley a good footballer. But they could make him a good cyclist or runner.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families