The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Would DM not have simply been tarred with the "Blair mk2" brush? Unfairly perhaps but I think that might have happened.
Hmmm. Blair, to me, absolutely oozed insincerity and self-interest. I really was impressed with DM and the interview that he gave last night, me having never really listened to the guy before. Not sure how or why his seemingly considerably weaker brother got in ahead of him - was it a union thing?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 am

Yep. EM a 'Brownite' from the relative left, DM a very centrist 'Blairite'. EM got the support of the unions and just about won a surprise victory.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 am

Prufrock wrote:Yep. EM a 'Brownite' from the relative left, DM a very centrist 'Blairite'. EM got the support of the unions and just about won a surprise victory.
And Michael Gove rubbed his hands with glee as he started to plot his leadership challenge whilst simultaneously 'getting tough' on things.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:46 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Yep. EM a 'Brownite' from the relative left, DM a very centrist 'Blairite'. EM got the support of the unions and just about won a surprise victory.
And Michael Gove rubbed his hands with glee as he started to plot his leadership challenge whilst simultaneously 'getting tough' on things.
First he had to get up out of his coffin......

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:09 am

Indeed, after the other two constituents of Labour's tripartite system - the MPs and the individual members had given a majority to DM.

So, Labour MPs wanted DM. Individual members wanted DM. A bare majority of Unions after a variety of 'consultations' with their members helped Ed to just scrape a victory.

EM is now about to scrap the system that got him elected, though the current proposed replacement is some way off a true internal democracy.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:54 pm

So Will. The trade union movement is a 'good thing' when the conversation relates to the late lamented Bob Crow and yet it's a 'bad thing' when we are talking about the election of the leader of the Labour Party.

It's very confusing. I can't keep up. Mind you, I'm not an academic.

:D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
First he had to get up out of his coffin......
With Tubbs?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Labour kicked out Bob Crow's RMT though, didn't it?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:03 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:So Will. The trade union movement is a 'good thing' when the conversation relates to the late lamented Bob Crow and yet it's a 'bad thing' when we are talking about the election of the leader of the Labour Party.

Not hard, Zulu. I think trade unionism is a good thing in general and that parties should have strong internal democracy meaning that their membership should elect (and dispose of) their leadership. I think that the historic role that Trade Unions have played in the Labour Party has often been to its detriment. Though it kept the money rolling in.

It's a matter of argument whether the election of Ed as leader is one example of this.

Both, imho, are far too supine. DM is the more intellectually stimulating and, I suspect, politically cunning. Can't think of any way Ed surpasses him. But the Labour Party makes me slightly sick all round atm.

The Tories, on the other hand, bring on symptoms of a combination of rabies and malignant tertiary malaria.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:58 pm

William the White wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:So Will. The trade union movement is a 'good thing' when the conversation relates to the late lamented Bob Crow and yet it's a 'bad thing' when we are talking about the election of the leader of the Labour Party.

Not hard, Zulu. I think trade unionism is a good thing in general and that parties should have strong internal democracy meaning that their membership should elect (and dispose of) their leadership. I think that the historic role that Trade Unions have played in the Labour Party has often been to its detriment. Though it kept the money rolling in.

It's a matter of argument whether the election of Ed as leader is one example of this.

Both, imho, are far too supine. DM is the more intellectually stimulating and, I suspect, politically cunning. Can't think of any way Ed surpasses him. But the Labour Party makes me slightly sick all round atm.

The Tories, on the other hand, bring on symptoms of a combination of rabies and malignant tertiary malaria
Crikey Will, chuck in a bad liberal cold and we could end up on the same ward :shock:

:mrgreen:

Having said all that I'm having a tough week in politics to be honest, I really am finding it tough to trust someone who can cheat on his wife however much I agree with his political aims :hang:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:43 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-advisers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No money for nhs wage rises but enough for double digit increases to special advisers. We're still all in it together.

I wouldn't mind but they can't be very good advisers if they thought this was a good idea!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:46 pm

On the contrary, they must be f*cking brilliant advisers to have convinced someone whose political future is in the balance that it was a good idea.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:23 am

The law firm I work at has an interesting art collection and I now chair our 'art network'.

I am now partly responsible for hiring an art intern.

Historically this has tended to be 2 days a week 'expenses only'.

Anyway, I've always vowed to myself that if I were ever in a position to argue against this type of arrangement then I would.

Today I find myself in the odd position of advocating paying the London Living Wage for one day a week, despite having railed against the vacuousness of its calculation the past. The truth is, practically speaking and from a campaigning point of view, it is better to have that reference point to argue for than none.

*sigh*
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:38 am

I wonder if old George will give us a surprise present later... I find it a shame almost everything is leaked in advance these days.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:44 am

Athers wrote:I wonder if old George will give us a surprise present later... I find it a shame almost everything is leaked in advance these days.
Bingo tax relief. That'll sort things out.

I expect me and my type to pick up the brunt of it again being a single, non-parent, company car driving, wine and whisky appreciating man. When I smoked I was a 'full house'. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 am

Not entirely sure where I stand on this one, but surely the high cost of child care is apparent when people decide to have kids? Why should it be tax payer funded? Plus, with it being a tax relief how is it going to help the most needy given that they now pay very little tax anyway with how high the tax free allowance now is?

Seems it's another attempt to win votes, probably from this generation of mumsnet users.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:12 pm

I'm definitely on board with some reform to childcare arrangements. Some help is surely appreciated, I mean £800/month per child means two kids and mum may as well not work. I do wonder though that the market should start to help soon because these rising prices mean it's now it's a more attractive field for people to train in or run businesses in?

We have to do something though as these unborn children are going to help pay for our really long retirements and care costs.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:20 pm

Is the Budget really the most appropriate forum to announce the introduction of a new coin?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:58 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:The law firm I work at has an interesting art collection and I now chair our 'art network'.

Anyway, I've always vowed to myself that if I were ever in a position to argue against this type of arrangement then I would.

Today I find myself in the odd position of advocating paying the London Living Wage for one day a week, despite having railed against the vacuousness of its calculation the past. The truth is, practically speaking and from a campaigning point of view, it is better to have that reference point to argue far than none.

*sigh*
I'm not thinking of applying - even at the 'living wage' - but what is the job of the art intern?

And - good on you for the position you've taken! My sort-of nephew (ie if his aunt and I had ever married) is a campaigner for the London Living Wage with Citizens UK. and is only mildly embarrassed by this TV appearance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baVvrNfG7nI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:14 pm

William the White wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:The law firm I work at has an interesting art collection and I now chair our 'art network'.

Today I find myself in the odd position of advocating paying the London Living Wage for one day a week, despite having railed against the vacuousness of its calculation the past. The truth is, practically speaking and from a campaigning point of view, it is better to have that reference point to argue far than none.

*sigh*
I'm not thinking of applying - even at the 'living wage' - but what is the job of the art intern?

And - good on you for the position you've taken!
We should probably discuss offline - it's a mixture of enjoyable and valuable opportunities and some realtively tedious administrative work.

It would definitely be worth doing unpaid for anyone who could afford to.

I hope my solution opens it up a bit and makes it more viable to a wider pool of people. And gets the engagement off to a good start from a platform of mutual respect.

With my selfish hat on, I think it makes it more likely we'll get the admin done that I would like doing. I also think paying people with 'exposure' alone, over a longer period, is false economy when you have to supervise them.