Heaven knows I'm miserable now..

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Heaven knows I'm miserable now..

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:10 am

power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:18 am

Woooogaaan, Wogan, it was really nothing...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:38 am

The Eurovision, that once great bastion of others nation's musical culture, instrumentation and tradition, is nothing more than a cheap waste-of-time pop concert. Most nations sing in English and emulate British and American rock and pop. Gone is the magic of international diversity and imagination, and the beauty of mental imaging of far off lands. Add that to the blatantly political voting and only Wogan's tongue-in-cheek humour makes it even worth watching. As a music lover I used to really look forward to this event. Now, it's just Childrens Hour to music.

Rant over. Carry on voting. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:24 pm

I heard this on the news....

Odd, very odd. It would be good to see Mozza perform a track about a prostitute working the rainy streets of Salford during the 1980's, while all the other acts are singinging about flowers while dressed as bumble bees.

Maybe having Morrissey involved might encourage the other nations to enter songs with a bit more social commentry... Perhaps the French entry might be entitled "What the 'ell are freedom fries anyway?"

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:45 pm

Frankly, Mr Wogan :mrgreen:
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:06 pm

Let's all mock his patriotism.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:08 pm

there was plenty of social commentary on the last one, he was talking about schools and the state of our education system

right?

superloop
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by superloop » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Childrens hour!!!! Did you see the freaks dressed up like "scary monsters" who won last year?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:55 pm

superloop wrote:Childrens hour!!!! Did you see the freaks dressed up like "scary monsters" who won last year?
Exactly. What did it have to do with Swedish music? More like "Alice Cooper in Monsterland" or "Lord of the Things meets Kiss" :mrgreen:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:56 pm

Oh, come on, TANGO, lighten up a bit; Eurovision is the funniest thing on television, I wouldn't miss it for quids.

I know it's not what it used to be and perhaps that should be lamented - but it's still funny. Of course TW's commentary helps a fair bit.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:03 pm

Dujon wrote:Oh, come on, TANGO, lighten up a bit; Eurovision is the funniest thing on television, I wouldn't miss it for quids.

I know it's not what it used to be and perhaps that should be lamented - but it's still funny. Of course TW's commentary helps a fair bit.
Hey, I'm not having a paddy and smashing the keyboard Dujon. There are enough pop shows around to make anyone laugh without the Eurovision. Wogan kills me and I wouldn't watch at all but for him. I just remember some of the good French, Spanish, Polish and Portugese entries of years ago and miss all that for wannabe top of the pops stuff.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote: . . . Wogan kills me and I wouldn't watch at all but for him. I just remember some of the good French, Spanish, Polish and Portugese entries of years ago and miss all that for wannabe top of the pops stuff.
No worries, TANGO, as in some respects I agree with you. One year we had a different feed for some reason (perhaps ol' Terry was a bit poorly) and it did highlight the inadequacies of the rest of the 'show'; it just wasn't the same. :cry:

eric snookes
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eric snookes » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:09 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
superloop wrote:Childrens hour!!!! Did you see the freaks dressed up like "scary monsters" who won last year?
Exactly. What did it have to do with Swedish music? More like "Alice Cooper in Monsterland" or "Lord of the Things meets Kiss" :mrgreen:
Er, I think you'll find that Lordy Lordy (maybe one too many Lordy's there), winners from last year , are from, wait for it, Finland.

So, you're right.
What the hell did it have to so with Swedish music! :wink:
You think it's bad now

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:40 am

It's very much got something to do with the Finnish music scene though. Death Metal and that ilk are very big in Scandanavia, so it is reflective of what the youth are listening too.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:51 am

communistworkethic wrote:It's very much got something to do with the Finnish music scene though. Death Metal and that ilk are very big in Scandanavia, so it is reflective of what the youth are listening too.
But the Eurovision Song Contest wasn't just supposed to be about youth; it was about European root music; at least when it started out. As I said at the start, it's now just a glorified pop concert with political voting and almost everything sung in English.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:It's very much got something to do with the Finnish music scene though. Death Metal and that ilk are very big in Scandanavia, so it is reflective of what the youth are listening too.
But the Eurovision Song Contest wasn't just supposed to be about youth; it was about European root music; at least when it started out. As I said at the start, it's now just a glorified pop concert with political voting and almost everything sung in English.
and "boom bang-a-bang" shows what link to English root music? Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson weren't chuntering along to a lute or a harpsichord were they?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:13 am

communistworkethic wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
and "boom bang-a-bang" shows what link to English root music? Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson weren't chuntering along to a lute or a harpsichord were they?
Then again, it isn't the "Englishvision Song Contest" is it? Our own pop music was hugely American oeientated soon after World War II. There's a wide gulf between "pop" and "popular music" worldwide. Folk, Jazz, Country, Blues, Light Classical, Latin, Easy Listening and World Music all come under the "popular music" heading. Originally, it was all about a chance to see a broad spectrum of diversified music and instrumentation of other countries. Get beyond brass bands (and without going back to Dowling and court music) and our own musical heritage is almost all classical and folk if anything.

I will add: This is in my opinion.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:14 pm

and how often have any of these "root music" tracks won? They may have entered but they failed and in a competition that is about making something that translates across the whole region then something folksy in Polish probably aint gonna cut it. that's before we get in to the politics of voting.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:27 pm

communistworkethic wrote:and how often have any of these "root music" tracks won? They may have entered but they failed and in a competition that is about making something that translates across the whole region then something folksy in Polish probably aint gonna cut it. that's before we get in to the politics of voting.
Well, I guess "Death Metal" does translate better across the whole region. Depends what floats your boat I suppose. Then again, Bucks Fizz and all the rest and girls whipping their skirts off translates something (not sure what musically though). I was never so much concerned who won against the pleasure of hearing the whole spectrum. That was my point. I made it, said it was my opinion, and stand by it. I also already mentioned the joke voting. We've all come to accept that. Guess, like fine-art, your musical tastes and mine are light years apart, if you'll pardon me using your description. :mrgreen:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:37 pm

i've heard Flat 13 are going to hit it with their social commentary "my dobber"

"you're the one for me, my dobber
I couldn't love any other
Smile darling, show those yellow teeth,
That burp baby, it's a keep
If it annoys you I will scratch you
When you fall in love with me I'll catch you"