Beckham to join LA in summer

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Beckham to join LA in summer

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:18 pm

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:28 pm

hmmm, who's choice is that his or Vicky's??

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:33 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:hmmm, who's choice is that his or Vicky's??
Neither, it will be Beckhams corporate people.

notlob
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by notlob » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:08 pm

keveh wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:hmmm, who's choice is that his or Vicky's??
Neither, it will be Beckhams corporate people.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 71&cc=5901 At $50M/yr, clearly the only sensible choice. I can't believe those numbers -- I assume someone at AEG (the Galaxy's owners) has crunched the numbers. Assuming they have, it is truly a great day for the MLS.
"Football, a game in which everyone gets hurt and every nation has its own style of play which seems unfair to foreigners" -- G. Orwell

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:10 pm

I take back my previous statement even someone as dim as him couldn't but take that offer.

See the MLS salary caps gone then!!!

It'll be interesting to see if they can attract more players over there now

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:18 pm

In terms of finances it is a mega deal and compares with the biggest in mainstream US sports American football and baseball.
To the American contingent, how much does the top American football and baseball star get?
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:30 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:
To the American contingent, how much does the top American football and baseball star get?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... _contracts

[that wierd 80s totp music that wasn't led zep , but i forget who the band was .. Edit: it was "The Wizard", by Paul Hardcastle]

new entry for beckham at no2

Last edited by a1 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:
In terms of finances it is a mega deal and compares with the biggest in mainstream US sports American football and baseball.
Hockey players used to get, at the top, US$10 million per year. Some baseball and basketball players make double that. I think football players may make slightly less. Hockey now has a team salary cap and a maximum individual salary of around $7 million (the result of a one-year lockout by the owners).

Edit: a1 posted something more definitive while I was composing - tends to bear out my feelings.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:39 pm

I was surprised by the fact that the soccernet article suggested that his deal is similar to the top contracts in the US. Its nowhere near, quite incredible that its almost double what A Rod at the the Yankees earns per year, according the link by a1.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:44 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:I was surprised by the fact that the soccernet article suggested that his deal is similar to the top contracts in the US. Its nowhere near, quite incredible that its almost double what A Rod at the the Yankees earns per year, according the link by a1.
It's been posted wrongly there. It is $128 million - less per year than Schumacher actually.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:50 pm

Yep salaries here are out of this world.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:51 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:I was surprised by the fact that the soccernet article suggested that his deal is similar to the top contracts in the US. Its nowhere near, quite incredible that its almost double what A Rod at the the Yankees earns per year, according the link by a1.
yep it looks like beckhams gonna be on nearly double what A-Rod is* , thats fecked up !

*well a-rod's not in texas anymore but i think the yankees pay about 3/4 or so of the leftover and texas rangers (now his old team) still pay the other quarter .. so unless summerts different that $252m contract is still valid he'll still now be on roughly half what beckham is

EDIT

-as i understand it its (beckhams) is $50m a year for 5 years ..

beckhams gonna be on nearly double what A-Rod is , thats fecked up !
Last edited by a1 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:52 pm

Correct a1.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:58 pm

a1 wrote:
yep it looks like beckhams gonna be on nearly double what A-Rod is* , thats fecked up !

*well a-rod's not in texas anymore but i think the yankees pay about 3/4 or so of the leftover and texas rangers (now his old team) still pay the other quarter .. so unless summerts different that $252m contract is still valid he'll still now be on roughly half what beckham is
Not so - the Wiki entry is wrong - see my previous post. It is close to the same amount as A-Rod and less than Schumi

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:08 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Not so - the Wiki entry is wrong - see my previous post. It is close to the same amount as A-Rod and less than Schumi
252m over 10 years (a-rod) verses 250m over 5 years (beckham) , i've edited my posts now - but thats nearly double A-Rods ..
Last edited by a1 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:10 pm

That number has to be wrong. The Yankees cant afford to pay someone 50 million let alone a piss ant little MLS team.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:22 pm

americantrotter wrote:That number has to be wrong. The Yankees cant afford to pay someone 50 million let alone a piss ant little MLS team.
thats why its fecked... £128m divided by 5 = £neverwasgonnasignforbolton -per year

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:53 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:I take back my previous statement even someone as dim as him couldn't but take that offer.

See the MLS salary caps gone then!!!

It'll be interesting to see if they can attract more players over there now
No, there's just one exception per club, under the new "Beckham rule". I think you can sell your exception to another club, but no club can have more than two exceptions. So there won't be a flood of Big Players - 13 at most, by my reckoning.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:33 pm

F*CK ME!!! Hardly takes a rocket scientist to make that choice does it??

Him and Vicky will be able to able to move in next door to Tom and Katey in Hollywood now. Wonder how much the Church of Scientology will be earmarking out of that little lot?

He'd have been a Bolton player had it not been for the board's tightfistedness!!! Just think his contract is for more than our owner's total worth :roll:

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:37 pm

Still don't believe that price unless it includes the "expected" image rights he's entitled to.