top gear

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:23 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Athers wrote:It was a good laugh (the cow bit got me) but they seem to have almost completely abandoned motoring journalism these days.
How is that? Motoring isn't just about reviewing new cars.
Well they set off to find out if you could buy a decent car instead of hiring one, and despite them making it to New Orleans, it's obviously better to hire one. Nice one. One hour?
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:39 pm

Athers wrote:
Athers wrote:It was a good laugh (the cow bit got me) but they seem to have almost completely abandoned motoring journalism these days.
How is that? Motoring isn't just about reviewing new cars.
Well they set off to find out if you could buy a decent car instead of hiring one, and despite them making it to New Orleans, it's obviously better to hire one. Nice one. One hour?
How was it better to hire one? They changed the original premise by not selling them at the end, so it would have cost far less had they done that. Also, shy of aircon issues, none broke down and all enjoyed the experience - I've never known anyone say that of their hire car after a week.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Athers wrote:quote] ... shy of aircon issues, none broke down and all enjoyed the experience - I've never known anyone say that of their hire car after a week.
Unfair.

I hired a car in San Diego last year.

At the airport Avis they said " ... & would you wish to upgrade for $10 a day extra ?"

I checked ... to the point of being anal that
(a). I was committing to only £70 ...
and
(b). they could get the extra onto the bill without it showing to the Company

They (correctly) assured me ... & off I went for a week in a silver Mercedes SL 350 Convertible ... all coutesy of the company, god bless 'em.

I was VERY fckg happy with that hired car !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:57 pm

communistworkethic wrote: How was it better to hire one? They changed the original premise by not selling them at the end, so it would have cost far less had they done that. Also, shy of aircon issues, none broke down and all enjoyed the experience - I've never known anyone say that of their hire car after a week.
May's car 'broke down' - flat battery, every time he parked it. That would get old. Wouldn't like to spend day 1 of my holiday searching for a car battery..

I wouldn't imagine they could've sold them for anything much either in any city, given that they were horrendously unsafe (Clarkson on the motorway when it was raining couldn't see anything..)

£550 to buy a car like that with no aircon in 100 degree heat from the dodgiest dealer in downtown Miami? No thank you... It was a laugh on camera and that's great - but they had 2 other cars and a few film crews in 4x4s to save them if the car broke down.

I'm sounding like a miserable old fart now but they could've at least done some motoring reviews as well during the programme and not had a staged joy ride take up the whole hour...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:13 pm

and then the show would be the same format every single week, some time it's good to try something different, as I'm sure Mrs Athers would agree ;)

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:10 pm

James May's Blog
That bit in our American Holiday Video where we were attacked by the rednecks in the Alabama petrol station: I realise now that I should have seen it coming.

We'd been warned by some American modernists - i.e. Californians - that the southerners wouldn't take kindly to any of our light mockery of the things they hold dear - Bush, heterosexuality, NASCAR, Country and Western, short hair...

But I never really believed they would take it quite that badly.

But then, earlier that day I had stopped at another petrol station and looked at the selection of T-shirts on sale to the locals. One proclaimed 'God, pick-ups and beer' with a picture of a Dodge like Hammond's on it. Another sported some legend about the right to bear arms.

And yet another depicted the Confederate flag and a picture of, er, General Stonewall Jackson. I think this may have been a vital clue to the mentality of the hicks.

Wasn't Jackson a general from the civil war? And didn't he die from complications resulting from the amputation of his arm after he was inadvertently shot by his own men?

And, more importantly, wasn't all this rather a long time ago? And what's with the confederate flag? Do they still lament the abolition of slavery or something?

It's been pointed out to me that the old flag, rather than standing for a discredited set of social and political values, is now just a fanciful graphic.

The Dukes of Hazzard, after all, had one on the roof of their car, and no one thought it was in any way distasteful. It was just the good ol' boys from the South being sentimental about their roots.

And that seemed like a fair comment. I like a sense of history as much as anyone. But then something else occured to me.

I've never met anyone in Europe wearing a swastika T-shirt.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:00 pm

Batman wrote:James May's Blog
That bit in our American Holiday Video where we were attacked by the rednecks in the Alabama petrol station: I realise now that I should have seen it coming.

We'd been warned by some American modernists - i.e. Californians - that the southerners wouldn't take kindly to any of our light mockery of the things they hold dear - Bush, heterosexuality, NASCAR, Country and Western, short hair...

But I never really believed they would take it quite that badly.

But then, earlier that day I had stopped at another petrol station and looked at the selection of T-shirts on sale to the locals. One proclaimed 'God, pick-ups and beer' with a picture of a Dodge like Hammond's on it. Another sported some legend about the right to bear arms.

And yet another depicted the Confederate flag and a picture of, er, General Stonewall Jackson. I think this may have been a vital clue to the mentality of the hicks.

Wasn't Jackson a general from the civil war? And didn't he die from complications resulting from the amputation of his arm after he was inadvertently shot by his own men?

And, more importantly, wasn't all this rather a long time ago? And what's with the confederate flag? Do they still lament the abolition of slavery or something?

It's been pointed out to me that the old flag, rather than standing for a discredited set of social and political values, is now just a fanciful graphic.

The Dukes of Hazzard, after all, had one on the roof of their car, and no one thought it was in any way distasteful. It was just the good ol' boys from the South being sentimental about their roots.

And that seemed like a fair comment. I like a sense of history as much as anyone. But then something else occured to me.

I've never met anyone in Europe wearing a swastika T-shirt.
Don't ever try to understand the American South. Your head will hurt.

That's why i moved North. I am now extremely proud to be a Northerner in 2 countries.

susstudio
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by susstudio » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:21 pm

To sum up last Sunday's Top Gear up in one word: AWESOME!!

:D

KEVIN DAVIES FOR PRESIDENT!!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:37 pm

All staged bollocks, absolute bullshit. as if these 3 blokes drive all that way in them cars? its just acting and editing. dont get me wrong, its an entertaining show, but these cross country races they do, bollocks!

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:47 pm

asmnahsjhahsa sKAHALI!!!!

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks for that Dax :?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:10 pm

Luna wrote:Thanks for that Dax :?
Just as you think Daxter is maturing he appears to have these fits of lunacy. Very odd.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:28 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:All staged bollocks, absolute bullshit. as if these 3 blokes drive all that way in them cars? its just acting and editing. dont get me wrong, its an entertaining show, but these cross country races they do, bollocks!
evidence?

Bwfcraig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Bwfcraig » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:51 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:All staged bollocks, absolute bullshit. as if these 3 blokes drive all that way in them cars? its just acting and editing. dont get me wrong, its an entertaining show, but these cross country races they do, bollocks!
evidence?
Sharp opinion, and a pesimistic view on a quality program to say the least.
http://www.premierleague.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Chelski