Paul Scholes

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

Paul Scholes

Post by Batman » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:32 pm

Kevin Nolan:

The voting takes place, I think, over the next couple of weeks.

As things stand my vote for Player of the Year will be Paul Scholes. I'm not too sure about the Young Player of the Year award. If Ronaldo is still eligible I will probably go for him.

I don't understand everyone bumming Scholes - yeah granted he's a good player but they are only promoting him for Player of the Year as a lifetime tribute thing.

When I've seen him this year he's done nowt to impress me.

If you'd mentioned Paul Scholes in the three years previous to this season, people would have said he was past it and needed to be replaced for Man Utd. They would have also said he was not needed for England.

All of a sudden he's deemed to be better than Gerrard/Lampard/Fabregas and England's saviour.

Simmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Paul Scholes

Post by Simmy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:28 pm

Batman wrote: All of a sudden he's deemed to be better than Gerrard/Lampard/Fabregas and England's saviour.
Cos he is! :P

Seriously he has been utterly immense this season, that bump to the head last year did him no end of good.
Opta stats show his pass completion rate at 92% which is out of this world for an attacking midfielder, the next man down in the prem is on 82%, and he's scored some stunning goals.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:31 pm

Isn't that now because he thinks has 2 people to aim at??
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:32 pm

Always been a fan of scholes. So too has Sam in fact. Player of the year is always BS anyways. Might as well have him in England than Fat Frank. Useless lump.

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:36 pm

I must admit he is one of very very few scummers that I find it hard to not like.

Ok he's the worst tackler I think I have ever seen, but his movement and awareness is absolutely amazing. He's probably the best volleyer of a ball as well, coupled with his passing game, which is very much a case of keeping it simple but it works.

Coupled with the fact that he seems to keep himself to himself and not live some form of demi-god lifestyle.

I am going to wash muyself in holy-water now to repent for my sins
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:44 pm

Gertie wrote:Isn't that now because he thinks has 2 people to aim at??
:shock: :lol:
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:52 pm

Batman wrote:
Kevin Nolan:

As things stand my vote for Player of the Year will be Paul Scholes. I'm not too sure about the Young Player of the Year award. If Ronaldo is still eligible I will probably go for him.

I don't understand everyone bumming Scholes - yeah granted he's a good player but they are only promoting him for Player of the Year as a lifetime tribute thing.

If you'd mentioned Paul Scholes in the three years previous to this season, people would have said he was past it and needed to be replaced for Man Utd. They would have also said he was not needed for England.

All of a sudden he's deemed to be better than Gerrard/Lampard/Fabregas and England's saviour.
Who are these people then? Do they follow an oval shaped ball? Scholes left the England scene just as it started to turn to the media led freak show we see today. Great perception? Or did he really just want to leave at the top of his international career? Either way Scholes is one of the best midfielders England has ever produced. I've watched plenty of goals that have been voted 'The greatest goal ever' but anyone who can hit a ball on the volley after it's coming across him at pace direct from a corner into the net it such pace that the keeper doesn't move will always get my vote.

Now if you don't mind

Gwar + Manc + credit = wash!!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Simmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Simmy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:10 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:20 pm

YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:25 pm

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:45 am

For me Scholes is up there with Zidane as the best midfielder of my generation - I was born in 83

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:57 pm

I can see what Batmans getting at here.

He is a quality footballer but in an England shirt has everybody forgotten that he'd become a bit of a joke?

I remember 'When Saturday Comes' doing a piece about how in his previous 20 games for England his biggest contribution was a quick throw in!

A good footballer undoubtedly but not remotely in the same league as Zidane.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm

He really wasn't replicating his United form for England and packed it in knowing the team was going no-where.

Not uncommon, Shearer also received a lot of stick from England fans throughout his International career despite being England's best player.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bettyrasta
Promising
Promising

Post by bettyrasta » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:29 pm

I'm with Batman and HG here. I can remember game after game for England of not noticing Paul Scholes for England, thinking "Isn't this the genius who ghosts into the box and always scores for United." Uncanny parallel with Lampard and Chelsea at present. Maybe Frank will step down after all the opprobrium at present and he'll be judged a genius in 2 years time which he patently isn't.

Don't mind Scholes like. It's just that he's neat and tidy with a few smashing volleys. This doesn't make him Zidane.

Aaron
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:40 pm

Batman wrote:
Kevin Nolan:

You sir are a cock! I'm no fan of United, far from it infact, but your post is so naive. He's been awesome this season, especially when he had his eye injury last season that nearly ruled him out of the game altogether.

And he probably would be a savior in the England. Fat Fwank isn't doing that much and the Gerrard/Scholes combo scares even me.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:43 pm

Aaron wrote:

You sir are a cock! I'm no fan of United, far from it infact, but your post is so naive.
:shock: His third post and already he has Batty figured out....
(Batten down the hatches).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Aaron
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:51 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Aaron wrote:

You sir are a cock! I'm no fan of United, far from it infact, but your post is so naive.
No, I'm just saying that he should respect argubly the best midfielder England has ever produced, and all because he plays for the "scum"!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Aaron wrote:You sir are a cock! I'm no fan of United, far from it infact, but your post is so naive. He's been awesome this season, especially when he had his eye injury last season that nearly ruled him out of the game altogether.
What's the frequency Kenneth?
Businesswoman of the year.

Bwfcraig
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Bwfcraig » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:43 pm

Aaron wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Aaron wrote:

No, I'm just saying that he should respect argubly the best midfielder England has ever produced, and all because he plays for the "scum"!!
Scholes is underated - a great midfielder but.
The best England Midfielder ever produced...top 10 maybe.
:|
http://www.premierleague.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Chelski

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm just grateful that Aaron is allowed time on the PC in between Simpsons and Hollyoaks to reply!

Scholes is a good player, but all the furore this year is over the top in my opinion.