Saturday Night Boxing

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Saturday Night Boxing

Post by Idiot Wind » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:09 pm

3 intriguing fights on ITV on Saturday night just gone:

Earl v Katsidis
Khan v Medjadi
Harrison v Sprott

Earl v Katsidis was for the Interim WBO Lightweight Title (the champion Freitas is expected to retire or move up a weight for one last payday). Earl is a naturally defensive boxer with a fairly decent record, only one previous defeat but not really having fought anyone of note. I would say he is a good national standard boxer but just below world class level. Katsidis is an up and coming Greek-Australian, undefeated after 20 fights, and with a reputation of a blistering right hook.

The experts were tipping Earl to come out and defend against Katsidis early on, avoid his right hand, and then take advantage as Katsidis tired. What actually happened was Earl came out and traded blows with Katsidis. It soon became apparent that Katsidis had more power and Earl was struggling. Katsidis caught him with a stunning right and Earl took an eight count. Towards the end of the round Earl was put down again and this time looked in real trouble when he got to his feet. The bell sounded and Earl stood still in the middle of the ring somewhat shellshocked. The second round saw Earl's corner throw the towel in the ring as he took further punishment. Referee Mickey Vann ignored this, as he is allowed to do, and Earl landed a right uppercut that resulted in Katsidis taking a standing eight count. Katsidis was in trouble but Earl was in no state to finish the fight. The 3rd and 4th rounds saw Earl take yet more punishment from Katsidis' fierce right hand and eventually Earl's corner correctly retired their fighter.

A wonderful fight, with extreme bravery from Earl and awesome punching power from a very promising looking Katsidis. A fighter of the same weight as Khan - definitely one to avoid in the near future. There is talk of a Khan v Earl fight later this year.

Khan v Medjadi was another interesting one. Khan was back at his natural weight of lightweight after securing his first ever title at lightwelter in his last appearance. Medjadi is the superfeatherwieght champion of France and fought another exciting prospect in Kevin Mitchell last October, being knocked out in the 6th round. The pre-fight talk was on whether or not Khan could finish the job any quicker. Khan came out with his hands significantly higher than in previous fights and was circling Medjadi and throwing snapping left jabs. Medjadi was in turn trying to keep Khan at bay with left jabs but was too far away to follow up with his right cross. Medjadi seemed a little intimidated by Khan and was keen to back away as soon as possible leaving himself a little unbalanced. Around 40 seconds into the first round Medjadi threw a left jab that was intended to be followed by a big right hook, it never even got close. Khan stepped forward and threw a devastating right hand over the top and Medjadi crumpled to the canvas. He managed to beat the count but was in no fit state to continue. An emphatic victory for Khan.

Whilst Medjadi is a limited fighter Khan's punching power and speed at this weight combine to devastating effect and he will be a world force very soon. Mitchell and Khan will be kept apart for a good while yet to extend the hype but I believe Khan would be the victor at this present moment.

On to the top of the bill, Harrison v Sprott. The winner would fight Skelton as preliminary bout before a potential world title shot. Sprott is an ex-sparring partner of Harrison who was made to sign a contract forbidding him from talking about the sessions - it has been alleged that Sprott once knocked Harrison out in sparring despite using the heavier 16oz gloves rather than the fight ones of 8oz or 10oz. Harrison was the bookies' favourite after his demolition of Williams last time out. It seemed that most people were glossing over the fact that the notoriously bad 'in-between' fight conditioned Williams had taken the bout at 8 days notice due to an injury to Skelton.

Anyway, the fight started with Harrison snapping his right jab into the lesser reaching Sprott and trying to follow up with his big left hand. Sprott seemed happy to take this and then charge to the inside and tie Harriosn up. Late in the first round Harrison caught Sprott with a spearing left straight and Sprott was floored. Harrison was also in control of the second round and seemed to be more techincally adept and stronger than Sprott. Round 3 began in the same manner with Sprott crouching and trying to work Harrison on the inside. Near the neutral corner Harrison jabbed with purpose and opened up for a big left hand, Sprott swung a huge left hook of his own and caught the advancing Harrison flush on the temple. Harrison collapsed to the canvas and appeared to be out cold as the referee didn't bother to count, merely removing his gumshield and putting him in the recovery position.

Sprott was jubilantly saluting the crowd whilst Harrison spent a good five minutes in a daze on the canvas. Thankfully he appears to be ok physically but his career has been dealt a fatal blow.

All in all a fantastic night of boxing - hopefully a prelude to a great year!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:12 pm

Khan showed he has the brain to go with his quick hands. he spotted that his opponent left his left hand low after a jab after being in the ring 30 seconds with him (plus i'm sure some vids will have shown this) and he exposed this weakness with one deadly smacker

was a great punch. prob would have floored anyone in his weight given the opportunity. he needs the chance to step up soon. the french guy was no walkover - had some good results behind him.

win it at the 'bok amir lad!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:13 pm

If Audley Harrison is "world-class" even in such a poor weight, then I reckon I have a shot at winning the title

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Excellent observation from Khan, even if it was highlighting in videos of Medjadi - to execute it like he did so early was phenomenal. I think he needs another step up in class - not for a world title yet though.

Harrison has the technique but not the heart. I think he has always known he has a suspect chin, hence his reticence to actually fight. I'm afraid the charade is over. As for the wider debate around the heavyweight division I genuinely think this is the worst state it has ever been in. Sad to see.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Idiot Wind wrote:Excellent observation from Khan, even if it was highlighting in videos of Medjadi - to execute it like he did so early was phenomenal. I think he needs another step up in class - not for a world title yet though.

Harrison has the technique but not the heart. I think he has always known he has a suspect chin, hence his reticence to actually fight. I'm afraid the charade is over. As for the wider debate around the heavyweight division I genuinely think this is the worst state it has ever been in. Sad to see.
Without a doubt mate, the standard is absolutely shocking in that weight, but the other weights seem to be flurishing, albeit with some top names in the 'twighlight' of their careers

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:44 pm

Saturday was the best nights boxing I'd seen in years. Khan & Sprotts KO punches were great shots. The Earl/Katsidis fight is the only time I can recall a ref throwing out the towel and letting the fight continue.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:46 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Idiot Wind wrote:Excellent observation from Khan, even if it was highlighting in videos of Medjadi - to execute it like he did so early was phenomenal. I think he needs another step up in class - not for a world title yet though.

Without a doubt mate, the standard is absolutely shocking in that weight, but the other weights seem to be flurishing, albeit with some top names in the 'twighlight' of their careers
'Tis true. Some greats fights this year:

De La Hoya v Mayweather Jnr
Hatton v Castillo
Hopkins v Wright

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Saturday was the best nights boxing I'd seen in years. Khan & Sprotts KO punches were great shots. The Earl/Katsidis fight is the only time I can recall a ref throwing out the towel and letting the fight continue.
I believe that the rules of the bout were that the corner could not stop the fight mid-round, only the referee. Earl almost pulled it out of the bag but was ultimately overpowered. I think Katsidis will definitely be a name to watch out for.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Fraudley Harrison - his ego writing cheques his body can't cash.

Wheether he wants to fight on or not, the British fight public have had enough.

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:35 am

I agree. He wasn't exactly flavour of the month anyway but redeemed himself a little by defeating Williams. Game over now I think.