no black managers = racism??

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

no black managers = racism??

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:25 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6376121.stm

I have to say that this article really offers little to the argument. It fails to substantiate its "facts" with the full evidence, ok there are only two black managers but how many have appplied for jobs? The fact there are only a dozen qualified black coaches in itself would suggest that there aren't that many applying in the first place. And of those qualified, which has played at a decent level? Surely the bigger question is why aren't they getting qualified? Has anyone asked former players if they wanted to be a manager?

As for the fact that John Barnes didn't get another chance as a manager, it wasn't because he was black it was because he was crap. Carlton Palmer is terrible and he's had 3 or 4 chances. Fulham had Tigana, Gulllit was at Newcastle, just because it's quite low now it doesn't mean recism is the reason. It's only 30 years since black players even really got a chance playing, have the numbers come through from playing and wanting to manage?

I think much more research needs to be done before the finger pointing starts. Football's certainly not perfect but without supporting evidence claims like this risk setting the cause back not advncing it.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:44 am

certainly the examples cited as black coaches with qualifications is a remarkably short list. compare that with the total no of coaches and they are but a minute drop in an ocean. so it is very unlikely that some will rise to the top

they'll be moaning about lack of women coaching next

I think the Paul Ince v Roy Keane comparison is an unfair one. They were two very different opportunities. Keane has a fair formiddable reputation as a person, not just a player and there's now a big Irish connection at that club

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:47 am

Up to the fifties when the first Jamaican immigrants started landing here, the country was predominantly white. All that has had to evolve gradually into integration and co-existance between races. Members of any race who excel at what they do usually make it. The percentage of black and other players in all forms of sport shows this evelovement. Their will be black and Asian managers in every branch of life; it already exists in most areas of business. In time, it will in football. If black coaches and managers prove good enough they will get in there. To do it any other way could one day see a situation reversed instead of equalised, one race trying to outdo another. Equality comes slowly; if it didn't it would be conquest.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:42 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Up to the fifties when the first Jamaican immigrants started landing here, the country was predominantly white. All that has had to evolve gradually into integration and co-existance between races. Members of any race who excel at what they do usually make it. The percentage of black and other players in all forms of sport shows this evelovement. Their will be black and Asian managers in every branch of life; it already exists in most areas of business. In time, it will in football. If black coaches and managers prove good enough they will get in there. To do it any other way could one day see a situation reversed instead of equalised, one race trying to outdo another. Equality comes slowly; if it didn't it would be conquest.
I'm just loving this new word TD ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:54 am

communistworkethic wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Up to the fifties when the first Jamaican immigrants started landing here, the country was predominantly white. All that has had to evolve gradually into integration and co-existance between races. Members of any race who excel at what they do usually make it. The percentage of black and other players in all forms of sport shows this evelovement. Their will be black and Asian managers in every branch of life; it already exists in most areas of business. In time, it will in football. If black coaches and managers prove good enough they will get in there. To do it any other way could one day see a situation reversed instead of equalised, one race trying to outdo another. Equality comes slowly; if it didn't it would be conquest.
I'm just loving this new word TD ;)
Not bad is it. Course it will have to go through a course of evolvement before the Oxford Dictionary accept it. :mrgreen:

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:00 pm

Garth Crooks is the worst non-footballer in football.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:33 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Garth Crooks is the worst non-footballer in football.
was an average striker for Tottenham Hotspur so I suppose non-footballer is about right

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:08 pm

Aside from football I cant think of any other profession (other than Minicab drivers) where black or Asian people make up such a high percentage of an overall workforce. I dont think football has anything to be ashamed of.

The comparison between Keane & Ince is ludicrous. Ince probably could have had a far better job than the Macclesfield one if he'd bided his time but he isnt held in anything like the high regard Keane was held in.

I recall the Premier League being branded as racist a few years ago because there weren't any Asian players. Do some people really think that if an outstanding footballer or outstanding coach is available a club would turn them down because of their ethnicity? I just dont see it.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:13 pm

anyone know how many black managers there are in the world? Not many i'd guess, even in Africa when you get to the higher levels. Are they all racist?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:22 pm

communistworkethic wrote:anyone know how many black managers there are in the world? Not many i'd guess, even in Africa when you get to the higher levels. Are they all racist?
indeed, nigeria just hired berti vogts. case concluded

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:55 pm

The NFL has dealt with this and is finally coming through it. Mainly it is a timing issue. As many have pointed out there hasn't been a substantial minority presence in the game until recently. While I believe there will be a bias against minority managers in the beginning, I dont think you've actually gotten to the point of that happening yet. Just not enough candidates yet. Time will tell.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 pm

hmm, how many english black players are there in english football compared to english black people in england?

if theres [a guess probably wrong] 3% of black english people in the country , i'll bet the black to white english player ratio is about 15-20% to 85-80% , no honky english players go "black are taking our jobs as footballers , put limits on it so its 3% inline with how many of them there are" theyre just better .. if they "manager" better then the same ratio evenually come true , and even if it doesnt, so what?

theres no white linebacker / fullback 'equality rule' they dont go "hmm, weve got a 300+ pound black man whos awesome , but this 'equality rule' sez weve got to take that 120 pound when wet white guy with glasses on ... different folk are better at different things ..

i'm not a premier league footballer , but i dont moan that theres 60 million people in the country better than me at football , in my way ..

why doesnt paul ince do something like this- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106611/ or become an ice hockey player or 100metre swimmer .. he'd get in the papers even more then ...

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:35 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:certainly the examples cited as black coaches with qualifications is a remarkably short list. compare that with the total no of coaches and they are but a minute drop in an ocean. so it is very unlikely that some will rise to the top

I think the Paul Ince v Roy Keane comparison is an unfair one. They were two very different opportunities. Keane has a fair formiddable reputation as a person, not just a player and there's now a big Irish connection at that club
So, are we saying that's acceptable racism?
Sto ut Serviam

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:03 am

Owt to do with Garth Crooks = pile of shit

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:53 am

Batman wrote:Owt to do with Garth Crooks = pile of shit
I think you'll find that it's 'a mounded stack, possibly, nay probably the direct result of exhaustive, manual, erg-exerting, shovel-wielding toil of one or more fellows, impressively exhibiting an enthusiastic and somewhat committed collection of excrement, emitting a putrid and wholly unpleasant odour'. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:44 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:certainly the examples cited as black coaches with qualifications is a remarkably short list. compare that with the total no of coaches and they are but a minute drop in an ocean. so it is very unlikely that some will rise to the top

eh?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:50 am

Racism wouldn't be such an issue if there wasn't always somebody somewhere ready to play the race card at any and every opportunity. It get's dragged into all sorts of arguments where racism has no real part. Will for a long time yet.

youngmc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by youngmc » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:06 am

My step son is black and i can say is colour has not been an issue during his recent trials at Manu and Bury.He as obviously been picked on his ability to play football and nothing else. If and when his colour becomes an issue on the pitch i hope he just lets is football do the talking.
CHOO CHOO CHOOCHOO TRAIN!

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:34 am

Good luck to your step-son hope he gets on with his trials.

Interesting (to me anyways) that the England ladies team is coached by a black woman, Hope Powell. Is football racism only restricted to men??
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:49 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:

eh?
Oh, do keep up

Keane got the job because he's Irish
Sto ut Serviam