They are knocking the Odeon down!!!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:00 pm

Porrohman wrote:I remember Budgies in the Arndale
:shock: I'd forgot all about them. Being dragged round the shops by my mum on a Saturday (before I was old enough to go to Burnden with mi dad) the budgies were the only highlight.

As for the Odeon I remember being turned away from the Blue Lagoon for not being old enough. It was certificate AA which meant no under 14s in them days. I saw the film a few years later - that bloody usherette had done me a favour - I'd have been happier watching the budgies!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:35 pm

Thanks for putting up those, Bruce. Not that I know many of them - only Burnden and the railway station (if that's Trinity Street, which doesn't look quite right).

Mind you it's been many years.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:38 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Porrohman wrote:I remember Budgies in the Arndale
:shock: I'd forgot all about them. Being dragged round the shops by my mum on a Saturday (before I was old enough to go to Burnden with mi dad) the budgies were the only highlight.

OH MY GAWWD!

i had completely forgotten about them too!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

wowwww

i can picture the big cages now...

fooooook

:shock:
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:22 pm

There was a time when Bolton had three swimming baths: High Street, Bridgeman Street and Moss Street, a Turkish baths on Great Moor Street, two good theatres, two railway stations, two roller-skating rinks, one of the best dance floors anywhere (The Palais) a decent night-club/restaurant (The Empress), a host of decent pubs and a multitude of cinemas. The Market place then was organised, had stalls selling just about everything (anybody remember the "Workshops for the blind" stall, selling woven baskets etc?) There was a lot less money about then, yet they all managed to do well enough. Evolution has really done well for the old town.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:46 am

communistworkethic wrote:does anyone else think it's odd Bruce takes random pics of bolton??
New camera and a Sunday morning full of nothing to do! :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:50 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:does anyone else think it's odd Bruce takes random pics of bolton??
New camera and a Sunday morning full of nothing to do! :oops:
sunday morning, digital camera, boredom. and you take pics of streets?

i can only assume the missus was out?!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:52 am

Aye. Bothering Denmark's amphibians!
May the bridges I burn light your way

susstudio
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by susstudio » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:48 am

Batman wrote:
susstudio wrote:Our Odeon in Leeds was shut down about five years ago and it's now a Primark, haha!!
:D

That's the inbred County for yer
Oi!!

KEVIN DAVIES FOR PRESIDENT!!

Bwfc in the bloodline
Promising
Promising

Post by Bwfc in the bloodline » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:14 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Unfortunately, Monty, where once there stood a magnificent red-brick building there now stands this monstrosity! :evil:

Good God! :shock:
Hey i live there, you can see my living room window. As for the building itself its ugly!!
Stay up

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:There was a time when Bolton had three swimming baths: High Street, Bridgeman Street and Moss Street, a Turkish baths on Great Moor Street, two good theatres, two railway stations, two roller-skating rinks, one of the best dance floors anywhere (The Palais) a decent night-club/restaurant (The Empress), a host of decent pubs and a multitude of cinemas. The Market place then was organised, had stalls selling just about everything (anybody remember the "Workshops for the blind" stall, selling woven baskets etc?) There was a lot less money about then, yet they all managed to do well enough. Evolution has really done well for the old town.
a young kid doesn't need such things when he can make a fake gun out of his fingertips and find old ladies on every street corner to mug for a laugh

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:07 pm

Don't forget White Lightening, they didn't have that back in the day

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:23 pm

Bwfc in the bloodline wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Unfortunately, Monty, where once there stood a magnificent red-brick building there now stands this monstrosity! :evil:

Good God! :shock:
Hey i live there, you can see my living room window. As for the building itself its ugly!!
Aye, they even have signs to direct you home after a Friday night.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:22 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:There was a time when Bolton had three swimming baths: High Street, Bridgeman Street and Moss Street, a Turkish baths on Great Moor Street, two good theatres, two railway stations, two roller-skating rinks, one of the best dance floors anywhere (The Palais) a decent night-club/restaurant (The Empress), a host of decent pubs and a multitude of cinemas. The Market place then was organised, had stalls selling just about everything (anybody remember the "Workshops for the blind" stall, selling woven baskets etc?) There was a lot less money about then, yet they all managed to do well enough. Evolution has really done well for the old town.
aye and you could take yourself down t chippie and buy ha`penny lot of chips with scraps or ya mum sent you with a big fook off dish that weighed a ton and they filled up with chips, fish and pea soup that dribbled down your hand me down grandad shirt and Nat Lofthouse baggie shorts,and then when you`ve almost got home face a battering off the local tough nuts because ya dad took their footy ball off them because his prize roses kept getting trampled on...ehhhh happy days.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:57 am

Porrohman wrote:
aye and you could take yourself down t chippie and buy ha`penny lot of chips with scraps or ya mum sent you with a big fook off dish that weighed a ton and they filled up with chips, fish and pea soup that dribbled down your hand me down grandad shirt and Nat Lofthouse baggie shorts,and then when you`ve almost got home face a battering off the local tough nuts because ya dad took their footy ball off them because his prize roses kept getting trampled on...ehhhh happy days.
Made me laugh if somewhat exagerated in my case. There were no roses in our area mate. No gardens either; maybe a few weeds growing up between the cracks in the backyard flags in summer, but that was it. Did get a few batterings off one or two of the local louts, but that's because you wouldn't hand over any marbles, sweets (when you had any) or conkers. Used to make "marps" out of the tar on the road in summer too. Chips were threepence and fourpence and fish was sevenpence. Soup and scraps free of course. Went out to the ice-cream man with one of those big fook-off dishes a few times, and the scout cart when they came round selling black peas. Even went round to the side door of the pub with a jug, for a pint of stout for my grandma a time or two. She used to stick a hot poker in it, claimed it put iron in you. Absolute truth. :mrgreen:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:21 am

There were no roses in our area mate. No gardens either; maybe a few weeds growing up between the cracks in the backyard flags in summer, but that was it. Did get a few batterings off one or two of the local louts, but that's because you wouldn't hand over any marbles, sweets (when you had any) or conkers. Used to make "marps" out of the tar on the road in summer too. Chips were threepence and fourpence and fish was sevenpence. Soup and scraps free of course. Went out to the ice-cream man with one of those big fook-off dishes a few times, and the scout cart when they came round selling black peas. Even went round to the side door of the pub with a jug, for a pint of stout for my grandma a time or two. She used to stick a hot poker in it, claimed it put iron in you. Absolute truth.
Tango ... you never mentioned the Rag 'n' Bone man who'd come along every couple of weeks, take your old shite & give yer mam a 'donkey stone' of pumice with which she'd clean her step before using Cardinal Red on it.
... & you tell the kids of today that ... & they won't believe you.
Not sure I believe it myself ... & I actually saw it !!
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:58 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Porrohman wrote:
Made me laugh if somewhat exagerated in my case. There were no roses in our area mate. No gardens either; maybe a few weeds growing up between the cracks in the backyard flags in summer, but that was it. Did get a few batterings off one or two of the local louts, but that's because you wouldn't hand over any marbles, sweets (when you had any) or conkers. Used to make "marps" out of the tar on the road in summer too. Chips were threepence and fourpence and fish was sevenpence. Soup and scraps free of course. Went out to the ice-cream man with one of those big fook-off dishes a few times, and the scout cart when they came round selling black peas. Even went round to the side door of the pub with a jug, for a pint of stout for my grandma a time or two. She used to stick a hot poker in it, claimed it put iron in you. Absolute truth. :mrgreen:
yeah but we used to live in a lake

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:08 am

bobo the clown wrote: Tango ... you never mentioned the Rag 'n' Bone man who'd come along every couple of weeks, take your old shite & give yer mam a 'donkey stone' of pumice with which she'd clean her step before using Cardinal Red on it.
... & you tell the kids of today that ... & they won't believe you.
Not sure I believe it myself ... & I actually saw it !!
Ah, Cardinal Red, remember it well. :D

My abiding memory of that era was the smell of "Lavendo" lavender polish. Mother used to polish the oilcloth with it and lavender is still my favourite smell on earth. Every winter, whether you needed it or not, you got dosed on Malt and Codliver oil, Scotts Emulsion and Fennings Little Lung Healers. There was some evil stuff in a blue bottle called "Fennings Fever Cure" tasted like paint-stripper and was strong enough to take the enamel off you teeth. Bunch of hypocondriacs parents were then. And God help you if you were constipated. Out with the Castor Oil....and worse, but I won't go into that. :mrgreen:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:16 am

Tango ... I owe you a bottle of Chateau de Chassilier.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:53 pm

Thanks, Bruce. I must admit things are scarecely recognizable so not a lot of nostagia there (bitterness perhaps at the loss of old things). However, at least the weather doesn't appear to have changed!

Tango, Cod liver oil of malt was really good - it was the cod liver oil that was foul.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Wasn't that malt thingy called Virol?

Gone the way of duffle coats, balaclavas and duffle bags......
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?