Oscar De La Hoya vs Floyd Mayweather.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Oscar De La Hoya vs Floyd Mayweather.

Post by Nozza » Thu May 03, 2007 9:58 pm

Should be a cracking fight, but I find Mayweathers "mindgames" cringeworthy.

He is constantly letting his mouth go, and just today said "I'm the best fight in the world", which is just silly. (Everyone knows it's Amir Khan)

Thankfully Sky have decided to use common sense and not put it on Pay-Per-View.

Nozzas Prediction - De La Hoya to win by KO in the 7th, but to bring an end to his superb career.

Anyone else have any views on this?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu May 03, 2007 10:20 pm

I don't like De La Hoya. Should've stuck to being a Ricky Martin impersonator.

Only fighter I like now that Lewis is retired would be our boy Khan.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu May 03, 2007 10:37 pm

I want Mayweather to lose so much, I read an article today in the Guardian and he came across as a absolute turd.

But i still think he'll win. Will be a mammoth fight though.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu May 03, 2007 11:09 pm

Verbal wrote:I want Mayweather to lose so much, I read an article today in the Guardian and he came across as a absolute turd.
Oh well, if that's what The Guardian says, despite me not knowing either of these guys from Adam, I want this Mayweather one to win as he'll doubtlessly be the salt of the earth!
May the bridges I burn light your way

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri May 04, 2007 9:17 am

Not the worlds biggest boxing fan but I am tempted to stay up to watch thios - or ratehr set an alarm and ge tup should be a belter
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 04, 2007 9:25 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Verbal wrote:I want Mayweather to lose so much, I read an article today in the Guardian and he came across as a absolute turd.
Oh well, if that's what The Guardian says, despite me not knowing either of these guys from Adam, I want this Mayweather one to win as he'll doubtlessly be the salt of the earth!
Trust me, he's not salt o' the earth mate, he's a c*ck if he wasn't so hard I'd knock him out myself!! :wink:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri May 04, 2007 12:14 pm

mayweather should win this one, de la hoya is not the fighter he was, but he is "box office" and win or lose he'll take home the biggest payday in fight history.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 04, 2007 12:49 pm

Mayweather isn't the fighter he once was either, should be intruiging but I'm backing FM

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Fri May 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Really looking forward to this one. Hopefully it will be a belter.

De la Hoya isn't quite the boxer he was in his prime but will be psyched up for this as there is genuine dislike between the two of them. De la Hoya doesn't believe he gets the respect he deserves from Mayweather Jr and Mayweather Jr thinks De la Hoya has earned the money he has through being Hispanic and having a large following rather than his boxing ability.

How do I see it going? Not sure. Mayweather Jr is undefeated and often lauded as the greatest pound-for-pound boxer in the world. De la Hoya has had some titanic fights and is a 6-weight world champion (Mayweather Jr a 4-weight world champion).

Mayweather Jr is undefeated and has amazing fitness and hand speed, although he has had to suffer questions about who he has actually fought (quite harsh considering many fighters avoided him). De la Hoya is a superb technical boxer and very durable. However, he has 4 defeats in his career. These have been at the hands of much bigger boxers than Mayweather Jr though, legends such as Bernard Hopkins and Shane Moseley.

If they were both natural light middleweights I would go for Mayweather Jr. However, Mayweather Jr is stepping up a weight and may lose some of his hand speed and may not be the over-powering force he was (similar to when Hatton stepped up). De la Hoya is stepping down a weight and may have lost muscle mass and some of his power.

If I had to put money on it I'd go for De la Hoya on points.

I can't wait for this one!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri May 04, 2007 1:27 pm

Ah the so called fight to save boxing. Unfortunately the way the sport is ran nothing will save boxing from itself or perhaps even MMA, who compete for similar markets.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 pm

Athers wrote:Ah the so called fight to save boxing. Unfortunately the way the sport is ran nothing will save boxing from itself or perhaps even MMA, who compete for similar markets.
To save boxing in the US - it's thriving over here again.

It's simple to restore the sport in the US as well - an American undisputed heavyweight champion......shame they haven't got any decent contenders.

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Oscar De La Hoya vs Floyd Mayweather.

Post by Idiot Wind » Fri May 04, 2007 1:30 pm

Nozza wrote:Should be a cracking fight, but I find Mayweathers "mindgames" cringeworthy.

He is constantly letting his mouth go, and just today said "I'm the best fight in the world", which is just silly. (Everyone knows it's Amir Khan)

Thankfully Sky have decided to use common sense and not put it on Pay-Per-View.

Nozzas Prediction - De La Hoya to win by KO in the 7th, but to bring an end to his superb career.

Anyone else have any views on this?
Tongue in cheek I presume?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri May 04, 2007 1:58 pm

Idiot Wind wrote:
Athers wrote:Ah the so called fight to save boxing. Unfortunately the way the sport is ran nothing will save boxing from itself or perhaps even MMA, who compete for similar markets.

It's simple to restore the sport in the US as well - an American undisputed heavyweight champion......shame they haven't got any decent contenders.
Thriving is a bit strong I think.. Apart from Calzaghe and Hatton's large audiences your general Frank Warren show with Khan and the crap heavyweights gets less people in attendence than a Cage Rage event!

Problem in America is that their potential heavyweight contenders are playing wide receiver these days.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Fri May 04, 2007 2:10 pm

Athers wrote:
Idiot Wind wrote:

Thriving is a bit strong I think.. Apart from Calzaghe and Hatton's large audiences your general Frank Warren show with Khan and the crap heavyweights gets less people in attendence than a Cage Rage event!

Problem in America is that their potential heavyweight contenders are playing wide receiver these days.
Well there are more amateur boxers now in the UK than at any point in the past. Bodes well for the future I would have thought.

Khan fights should be getting small audiences to be fair, the guy has had 12 fights! Ultimate Fighting has mass hype at the moment, it'll be interesting to see what the attendances will be like in 5 years - although I don't think the two sports are necessarily mutually exclusive.

You're not wrong about the US. The money is made in sports outside of boxing these days. It doesn't help that the teens there have no fighter to aspire to - who wants to be a Tyson or a Holyfield (last seen being denied a licence in 40 states)?

In the 80s kids had the likes of Foreman, Ali and Frazier to apsire to and it brought Tyson, Holyfield et al to the sport. I fear that until there is another great US heavyweight then it'll be a while before boxing is big again in the US.

You only have to look at the increase in young Asians boxing in the local clubs to realise the impact an aspirational figure can have.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri May 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Idiot Wind wrote:
Athers wrote:
Idiot Wind wrote:

Well there are more amateur boxers now in the UK than at any point in the past. Bodes well for the future I would have thought.

Khan fights should be getting small audiences to be fair, the guy has had 12 fights! Ultimate Fighting has mass hype at the moment, it'll be interesting to see what the attendances will be like in 5 years - although I don't think the two sports are necessarily mutually exclusive.

You're not wrong about the US. The money is made in sports outside of boxing these days. It doesn't help that the teens there have no fighter to aspire to - who wants to be a Tyson or a Holyfield (last seen being denied a licence in 40 states)?

In the 80s kids had the likes of Foreman, Ali and Frazier to apsire to and it brought Tyson, Holyfield et al to the sport. I fear that until there is another great US heavyweight then it'll be a while before boxing is big again in the US.

You only have to look at the increase in young Asians boxing in the local clubs to realise the impact an aspirational figure can have.
Boxing is still big in the gyms of the inner city. It's a dry patch, not helped by how corrupt the boxing orginizations are. It's truly the spectators that hvae become disgusted.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri May 04, 2007 4:39 pm

Mayweather will almost certainly win. I believe Oscar is also the promoter of this bout so he is in for a big payday - and he has mentioned a possible rematch. I'm beginning to think that boxing (at the professional level) should probably be banned as a sport - too brutal, too corrupt, too many serious head injuries amongst the alsorans, etc.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Fri May 04, 2007 4:40 pm

[quote="Montreal Wanderer"]Mayweather will almost certainly win. I believe Oscar is also the promoter of this bout so he is in for a big payday - and he has mentioned a possible rematch. I'm beginning to think that boxing (at the professional level) should probably be banned as a sport - too brutal, too corrupt, too many serious head injuries amongst the alsorans, etc.[/quote]

Yawn.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri May 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Boxing is on the whole awful. You rarely get a match like this one where it is not easy to call the winner.

UFC is much better.

Idiot Wind
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Idiot Wind » Fri May 04, 2007 4:50 pm

daxter15 wrote:Boxing is on the whole awful. You rarely get a match like this one where it is not easy to call the winner.

UFC is much better.
It's not as good as wrestling mind......

Boxing is an art form......at the highest level anyway and requires phenomenal stamina and determination. UFC is entertaining but not as skilled - they're handy lads no doubt!!!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri May 04, 2007 10:17 pm

Idiot Wind wrote:UFC is entertaining but not as skilled
Misconception, all competitors at the UFC level have belts in several martial art disciplines, some of them to the standard where they win World Championships or Olympic medals. The days of street fighters and such lasted about 5 minutes (or more accurately under 1 minute) until everyone realised they have no chance against a skilled opponent.
It's not fair to compare the competitors as they are different animals and wouldn't stand much chance in each other's environment but the sports are competing for a share of the same demographic and unfortunately for boxing it's in a state that has people trying to make money, while MMA is trying to promote itself.

That said, looking forward to the fight and hopefully it won't be a letdown. Mayweather to win on points.