Trains/public transport is a shambles!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mich Caine

Trains/public transport is a shambles!

Post by Mich Caine » Wed May 09, 2007 9:00 pm

I don't usually travel by train, I have a Volkswagen Corrado, so prefer to travel in style and cruise.

But today I was meeting a friend in York for a few drinks, catch up, etc so took the train.

The train I was hoping to catch was delayed by 40 minutes. I had to pay £29.80 for a return from Durham to York - which is probably about 65 miles each way - probably £17 in the Corrado.

On the way back the train was delayed again by 20 minutes.

I know from other people that trains are so expensive and always seem to be delayed. Its an absolute shambles. And then I had to get a taxi back from the station which was another £6.

What really vexes me is that the government want people to use public transport, but where is the incentive to do so when its unreliable and so expensive. If they seriously want people to use public transport then they need to subsidise public transport and make it really cheap - like £8 return so that you are stupid to choose alternatives.
Don't get me wrong I vote labour, John Prescott is my idol, he has a right hand that Frank Bruno would have loved to have. But public transport is pathetic.
And have you noticed if you are ever on a bus, you end up having a tramp sat next to you?

Anyone else feel public transport is a joke?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed May 09, 2007 9:08 pm

i don't use public transport as a rule and when i do i travel 1st class, not an issue.

what is a con is heathrow to barcelona one way business class - £540

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Trains/public transport is a shambles!

Post by bobby5 » Wed May 09, 2007 9:12 pm

Mich Caine wrote: What really vexes me is that the government want people to use public transport, but where is the incentive to do so when its unreliable and so expensive. If they seriously want people to use public transport then they need to subsidise public transport and make it really cheap - like £8 return so that you are stupid to choose alternatives.
Yes, UK public transport is a shambles at best. I would never choose public transport over taking my car ( unless as Mich did for a piss up). Disgraceful. I bought a ticket for a concert in London last minute and I had to take the train. As I hadn't booked it was £59 return and this was in 2001. Only time I liked the train was when I had a student railcard. Newport to Manchester return £12. This is the sort of price to aim for to get people using it.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed May 09, 2007 9:16 pm

communistworkethic wrote:i don't use public transport as a rule and when i do i travel 1st class, not an issue.

what is a con is heathrow to barcelona one way business class - £540

You are a bus driver?

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed May 09, 2007 9:30 pm

Isn't the rail system privatised? Therefore, the govt. has fcuk all to do with it?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed May 09, 2007 9:42 pm

Nozza wrote:Isn't the rail system privatised? Therefore, the govt. has fcuk all to do with it?
Except they privatised it right? Course I wouldnt want Blair in charge of it either.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed May 09, 2007 10:07 pm

least you spent your lotto winnings wisely

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Wed May 09, 2007 10:11 pm

Nozza wrote:Isn't the rail system privatised? Therefore, the govt. has fcuk all to do with it?

haha! hilarious

the bloody tories insisted on privatising your public transport - those with brains bigger than peanuts knew what a total shambles it would be

although the rail system was shit before privatisation and its still shit after to be fair

only difference now is that people who own the rail companies are INCREDIBLY rich as a result

which is nice

sept, those fat tossers dont have to stand up on a train that stinks of stale piss
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed May 09, 2007 10:57 pm

cowdrill wrote:

haha! hilarious

the bloody tories insisted on privatising your public transport - those with brains bigger than peanuts knew what a total shambles it would be

although the rail system was shit before privatisation and its still shit after to be fair

only difference now is that people who own the rail companies are INCREDIBLY rich as a result

which is nice

sept, those fat tossers dont have to stand up on a train that stinks of stale piss
Is the fact the Conservatives privatised the public transport system hilarious, or the fact I asked a question about it?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Wed May 09, 2007 11:12 pm

Nozza wrote:
cowdrill wrote:

haha! hilarious

which is nice

Is the fact the Conservatives privatised the public transport system hilarious, or the fact I asked a question about it?

bit of both tbh mate
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed May 09, 2007 11:37 pm

Fair enough. :mrgreen:

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Thu May 10, 2007 12:01 am

Trains are a disgrace, my train into Wigan tonight (a 7-8 minute journey) was delayed 35 minutes! The journey from Southport to Appley Bridge is only about 20 minutes so to get delayed so long is ridiculous! :evil:
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu May 10, 2007 1:26 am

Really does depend where you live. London is absolutely awesome for transport (in my experience anyway) as are many other major cities.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Thu May 10, 2007 1:21 pm

oh well thats definately of some comfort to the rest of us

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Verbal wrote:Really does depend where you live. London is absolutely awesome for transport (in my experience anyway) as are many other major cities.
You wouldn't say that if you'd been stuck on the tube between Finsbury Park and Highbury & Islington for 2 hours in 40c heat at rush hour

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu May 10, 2007 9:16 pm

Verbal wrote:Really does depend where you live. London is absolutely awesome for transport (in my experience anyway) as are many other major cities.
Found that to be the case as well - £7 or so for all train & tube travel from Feltham (about 35 minutes journey from Waterloo) is an absolute bargain I reckon, shame it costs more than half of that just for a single ticket for an 11 minute journey from Wigan to Warrington!
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Thu May 10, 2007 9:51 pm

they have something called an Oyster card apparently

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu May 10, 2007 10:01 pm

cowdrill wrote:they have something called an Oyster card apparently
Pretty sure that's an initiative for regular commuters rather than tourists, but it's ridiculous that you can get such decent rates there when the rest of the country is a nightmare.

Got a train to Edinburgh last summer for a Hibs game in the Intertoto and it cost £52 on the day from Wigan. Not too bad compared to some other journeys, but if I'd have got on the same train at Preston (the next stop after Wigan) then it would have only been £24!
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
cowdrill wrote:they have something called an Oyster card apparently
Pretty sure that's an initiative for regular commuters rather than tourists, but it's ridiculous that you can get such decent rates there when the rest of the country is a nightmare.

Got a train to Edinburgh last summer for a Hibs game in the Intertoto and it cost £52 on the day from Wigan. Not too bad compared to some other journeys, but if I'd have got on the same train at Preston (the next stop after Wigan) then it would have only been £24!
Anyone can get an oyster card, and if you are going to use tubes, buses and DLR its worth getting one, even if only making a couple of journies.

e.g. Cheapest single on the tube £4. Same journey peak = £2, off-peak £1.50 (Zone 1-2 or similar). The problem arises when you want to use the train as part of a journey as you can't use pre-pay oyster. e.g £2 to get to Waterloo then £2.10 to get the train (after queuing for 20 minutes for a ticket) to Putney. Tube journey to Putney Bridge (10 min walk to train station) £2. It doesn't make sense!

Worse still, you have to exit Canary Wharf tube to connect with the DLR, this means you pay for 2 journeys and not one.

On the bus its £2 or a quid with oyster.

All very good, but get on the train and its just as shit as the rest of the country :whack:

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu May 10, 2007 10:20 pm

I'm a happy Oyster cardholder!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!