Call to cancel Streisand Rome gig

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Call to cancel Streisand Rome gig

Post by bobby5 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:30 am

Barbra Streisand's concert in Rome next month should be cancelled because of excessively high ticket prices, consumer groups in Italy have said.

The Adusbef and Codacons groups urged the city and the Italian Olympic Committee to deny Streisand use of the Stadio Flaminio on 15 June.

Prices, ranging from 150 euros (£100) to more than 900 euros (£600), were "absurd and shameful", the groups said.

Streisand's Rome concert will kick off her European tour.

The 24,000-seat stadium "is public property and cannot be used for immoral deals that are shameful to a civilized country", Adusbef and Codacons said.
Link
Quite a bit of talk about the price of tickets for concerts recently, with even MP's getting involved regarding booking fees etc. But it seems to me that people are usually willing to pay whatever to be at that "must see" concert.

Would you pay stupid prices to see your idol?
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Call to cancel Streisand Rome gig

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 25, 2007 8:24 am

bobby5 wrote:Would you pay stupid prices to see your idol?
To be honest, Bobby, upon realising that I was being had for a mug they'd fast stop being my idol.
May the bridges I burn light your way

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Call to cancel Streisand Rome gig

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri May 25, 2007 8:36 am

bobby5 wrote:
Barbra Streisand's concert in Rome next month should be cancelled because of excessively high ticket prices, consumer groups in Italy have said.

The Adusbef and Codacons groups urged the city and the Italian Olympic Committee to deny Streisand use of the Stadio Flaminio on 15 June.

Prices, ranging from 150 euros (£100) to more than 900 euros (£600), were "absurd and shameful", the groups said.

Streisand's Rome concert will kick off her European tour.

The 24,000-seat stadium "is public property and cannot be used for immoral deals that are shameful to a civilized country", Adusbef and Codacons said.
Link
Quite a bit of talk about the price of tickets for concerts recently, with even MP's getting involved regarding booking fees etc. But it seems to me that people are usually willing to pay whatever to be at that "must see" concert.

Would you pay stupid prices to see your idol?
Gertie already has.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri May 25, 2007 8:57 am

OK I'll bite thanks to superjohn!!

This year I've paid £50 + booking fee for a Take That gig in November at the NEC in Birmingham so by the time I've factored in travelling and poss hotel cost, (but I might come back home after the show not decided yet)... Anyways, food, tour t-shirt and wee Markie badge it's going to be easily well over £100. I saw them twice last year at the MEN Arena and CoMS and tickets were around £30ish. I was a bit pished off that we had stood by them and supported them on their comeback so they said thanks to the fans by sticking an extra £20 on each ticket cheers boys!!!

Last year my cousin and I spent £150 each on tickets for Robbie Williams he was supposed to be on at Wembley so we were really excited because it would be our first show at Wembley, of course the nobbers didn't build it in time and we ended up at Milton Keynes bowl which I've been to before so wasn't as exciting. However, I didn't begrudge a penny. He was brilliant, the show was amazing and also had Basement Jaxx they were totally fabby. And as Robbie is having some troubles at the mo, he won't be touring for a while so I'm glad I saw him when I did.

I saw Girls Aloud on Sunday for £26 and there is 5 of them!! They were suprisingly very very very good, and I'd love a body like Sarah's I couldn't take my eyes off her.... Wowzers!!!!!! (I don't think I should have admitted this bit).
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri May 25, 2007 9:03 am

Lets go through that again - Gertie paid £150 to see a fat, talentless, closet homosexual port vale fan.

There ya go.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Fri May 25, 2007 9:04 am

I saw my favourite band for a fiver in a Manchester pub :mrgreen:

Ah the joys of indie!
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri May 25, 2007 9:25 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Lets go through that again - Gertie paid £150 to see a fat, talentless, closet homosexual port vale fan.
You can't blame him for being a closet port vale fan, can you?
Businesswoman of the year.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 25, 2007 10:05 am

For £29 I saw the whole Halle Orchestra playing Ravel's Bolero at the state-of-the-art Bridgewater Hall . That's value for money. wink:

ps: Robbie Williams is so kind to his fans that when his Saturday concert sold out a couple of years ago, he immediately jumped up the tickets by £25 a head for the Sunday one. Ah, how he loves and appreciates those fans of his. So does his bank manager.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri May 25, 2007 10:14 am

The likes of Williams and Steisand really need the money don't they?

Such contempt for the people that put these 'stars' where they are deserves the appropriate response - a pickaxe usually does the trick.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 25, 2007 10:15 am

TANGODANCER wrote:For £29 I saw the whole Halle Orchestra playing Ravel's Bolero at the state-of-the-art Bridgewater Hall . That's value for money. wink:

ps: Robbie Williams is so kind to his fans that when his Saturday concert sold out a couple of years ago, he immediately jumped up the tickets by £25 a head for the Sunday one. Ah, how he loves and appreciates those fans of his. So does his bank manager.
I have also seen the Halle Orchestra at the Bridgewater hall, took my dad and his missus for Chritmas, I didn't fancy but I was well and truly blown away! cost me a grand total of £66 and it covered two crimbo presents! :mrgreen:

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 am

Gertie wrote:I saw Girls Aloud on Sunday for £26 and there is 5 of them!! They were suprisingly very very very good, and I'd love a body like Sarah's I couldn't take my eyes off her.... Wowzers!!!!!! (I don't think I should have admitted this bit).
On the contrary. The prospect of a bit of girl on girl action goes down well with most blokes.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri May 25, 2007 11:10 am

Henrik's fan club wrote:I saw my favourite band for a fiver in a Manchester pub :mrgreen:

Ah the joys of indie!
Second that.

Seen some of my favourite bands around Manchester for less than a tenner. Peter Bjorn and John at the Roadhouse, Spinto Band at Academy iForward, Russia!, Art Brut, The Go! Team....although that was more thanks to an XFM competition:mrgreen:

Compare that to the £25 quid I forked out for Franz Ferdinand and Foo Fighters each, the 40 quid + train fare (meaning it had cost me £70 queens heads before I even stepped foot in East London, which is unnervingly still stuck in the past) and it just aint worth it. Smaller gigs are better in my opinion anyway because its more intimate and personal. Where else would you have the headliners mingling with the fans during the support acts?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Fri May 25, 2007 5:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:For £29 I saw the whole Halle Orchestra playing Ravel's Bolero at the state-of-the-art Bridgewater Hall . That's value for money. wink:

Nice. I thought the Halle Orchestra disbanded after the Free Trade Hall closed. Good to see them still active :)
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Fri May 25, 2007 5:24 pm

that is a ridiculous ammount of money. fair play to italy.

i paid 45 quid to see Rush this October at the MEN, then i paid 45 quid to see them again in Sheffield. Why? Because they shit talent. 6 hours of QUALITY live music I'll probably not see until they tour again (and lets face it, they're old)...but 100 bones for Streisand? Get out.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri May 25, 2007 6:29 pm

warthog wrote:
Gertie wrote:I saw Girls Aloud on Sunday for £26 and there is 5 of them!! They were suprisingly very very very good, and I'd love a body like Sarah's I couldn't take my eyes off her.... Wowzers!!!!!! (I don't think I should have admitted this bit).
On the contrary. The prospect of a bit of girl on girl action goes down well with most blokes.
Too right.

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Fri May 25, 2007 6:32 pm

Verbal wrote:
Henrik's fan club wrote:I saw my favourite band for a fiver in a Manchester pub :mrgreen:

Ah the joys of indie!
Second that.

Seen some of my favourite bands around Manchester for less than a tenner. Peter Bjorn and John at the Roadhouse, Spinto Band at Academy iForward, Russia!, Art Brut, The Go! Team....although that was more thanks to an XFM competition:mrgreen:

Compare that to the £25 quid I forked out for Franz Ferdinand and Foo Fighters each, the 40 quid + train fare (meaning it had cost me £70 queens heads before I even stepped foot in East London, which is unnervingly still stuck in the past) and it just aint worth it. Smaller gigs are better in my opinion anyway because its more intimate and personal. Where else would you have the headliners mingling with the fans during the support acts?
You going seeing Art Brut at the academy in June? Should be brilliant!
Also Mute Math are playing in June too, not your run-of-the-mill indie but still bloody good...definitely recommended
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri May 25, 2007 6:34 pm

I saw (LEGEND) Tony Bennett at Tivoli in Copenhagen. It was like $15 to get into the park. The concert was free once you were in, but I paid $10 to get into the seating section (9th row). So that's $25 to see one of the great artists of our time. Owned.

Last concert I went to was Morrissey in Seattle. He was awesome. Tickets were $75 and worth it but luckily I got mine as a birthday present.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 25, 2007 7:33 pm

bobby5 wrote:
Nice. I thought the Halle Orchestra disbanded after the Free Trade Hall closed. Good to see them still active :)
The Bridgewater has been their home for a while now. Seen two or three of their concerts there, but the Spanish Night doing Bizet's Carmen and other stuff and ending by nearly taking the roof off with Bolero was tremendous. The accoustics in the Bridgewater are just amazing. Thing is, the conductor (forgot his name but he's American) was no classical music stuffed shirt. Came on in a flat hat and black waistcoat with a big red bull on the back and joked all the time. There was no joke about the music though. Brought the house down. Absolutely awesome.

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Fri May 25, 2007 7:53 pm

I thought tickets to see The Police where a rip off until I saw the prices for the ugly bint with the big nose.
Genesis are playing at the shithole...why?
They could have played at the MEN for a couple of nights or three and given a better performance to their fans and charged less.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Porrohman wrote:I thought tickets to see The Police where a rip off until I saw the prices for the ugly bint with the big nose..
They all start off with good intent but the fame and lifestyle makes them all greedy eventually. Then they want the fans to fund their party-going, several homes, half a dozen cars,booze and cocaine habits, constant shopping and the rest. Then of course there is the ego thing that makes them forget where it all started and allows them to think no one can live without them.

There's a website somewhere that list all the ridiculous demands that have to be met before they'll condecend to appear. Fair opens the eyes and makes you realize just what mugs they take their fans for.