Work

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

Work

Post by Batman » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:13 pm

I'm deeply unhappy at work, and want to move on, but am constrained by the shifts I work (Mon Fri 9-5) in finding alternative employment.

It is not easy to arrange interviews etc around such rigid shifts so I need the advice of TWers to find a solution.

At the mo my idea is to just resign and force myself to look elsewhere without the obligation of organising interviews around work........

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:23 pm

why dont you book holidays and use them to go to the job centre ?
Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:24 pm

Perhaps I should have said that I used all my holidays to go on holidays.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Work

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:25 pm

Batman wrote:I'm deeply unhappy at work, and want to move on, but am constrained by the shifts I work (Mon Fri 9-5) in finding alternative employment.

It is not easy to arrange interviews etc around such rigid shifts so I need the advice of TWers to find a solution.

At the mo my idea is to just resign and force myself to look elsewhere without the obligation of organising interviews around work........
As a manager I have been known to interview people on nights or weekends if their cv looks good. People have also come to interviews with me during their vacations (they do not all have to be spent in Florida), even lunch hours. Possibly you are allowed sone personal time (presumably you go to the doctor or the dentist on occasion). Before quitting I would ask myself at what kind of work would I not be deeply unhappy, what would I like to do? Then I would check the market out (looking at want ads, web sites and asking around). Think first therefore of what you would like to do, before forcing yourself to find another job that would make you deeply unhappy. I hear there is a vacancy at CTU Aberdeen.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:26 pm

Batman wrote:I'm deeply unhappy at work, and want to move on, but am constrained by the shifts I work (Mon Fri 9-5) in finding alternative employment.

I have always found it easier and better to negotiate salaries when you are still employed. Managers will obviously think you are desperate if you are without a job and will try to get you on the cheap.

I don't know what you are doing at the moment but I would advise you to stop in your current job and book the day/morning off (Holiday, Sickness, Dentist, Doctor etc) for the interview. If your shifts are very rigid and you will struggle to get them off, throw a sickie. It always worked for me. :wink:

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:28 pm

I work for www.airline-network.co.uk in their problem solving department (ie-when someone wants to change a booking, or is stuck abroad following a crisis such as terrorsit attacks or a political emergency).

It is mind numbingly dull and I want to enjoy my work for once.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:48 pm

Batman wrote:I work for www.airline-network.co.uk in their problem solving department (ie-when someone wants to change a booking, or is stuck abroad following a crisis such as terrorsit attacks or a political emergency).

It is mind numbingly dull and I want to enjoy my work for once.
Question about your (and others) websites

Why can't we have an 'all northern england airports' search option?

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:01 am

Hell yes

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:16 am

Batman wrote:I work for www.airline-network.co.uk in their problem solving department (ie-when someone wants to change a booking, or is stuck abroad following a crisis such as terrorsit attacks or a political emergency).

It is mind numbingly dull and Iwant to enjoy my work for once.
Works not meant to be enjoyable.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:18 am

wait until i start at this new place and come work there

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:57 am

Batman wrote:Perhaps I should have said that I used all my holidays to go on holidays.
And into work! :D
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:06 am

Batman, if it's a serious question PM me & I could discuss the problem with you.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:46 am

as you've not responded to my pm for help on a flight I hope you're stuck there rotting forever with the joker constantly prodding you with a shitty stick.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:49 am

communistworkethic wrote:as you've not responded to my pm for help on a flight I hope you're stuck there rotting forever with the joker constantly prodding you with a shitty stick.
http://www.skyscanner.net

pretty good

ifeelgoodiknewiwould
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ifeelgoodiknewiwould » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:17 pm

Last edited by ifeelgoodiknewiwould on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:19 pm

ifeelgoodiknewiwould wrote:

Do what I did - just pack in your present job and f*ck off up to the North East. It's only temporary but the pay's fantastic! I've made lots of new mates already and I even got a new suit with my job.

Haway the Lads!

:oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:01 pm

I personally would give my Right (and Left) arm to work 9 to 5.

I work a 48 hour week (7am till 5.30pm) in an Engineering factory with survailance cameras pointing over my work bench, with the Evil Yorkshire Deputy M.D. watching the TV screen making sure I dont have a minute to myself.

9 to 5 ......................
Please God YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

YOU DONT KNOW YOU ARE FECKING BORN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

gaiser
Promising
Promising

Post by gaiser » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:44 pm

davroduk wrote:

I work a 48 hour week (7am till 5.30pm) in an Engineering factory with survailance cameras pointing over my work bench, with the Evil Yorkshire Deputy M.D. watching the TV screen making sure I dont have a minute to myself.
You lycky bast**d :D :D

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:10 am

Just pack it in. Get 5 lasses up the duff and become a lay about. Works for most of the country.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:09 am

Nozza wrote:Just pack it in. Get 5 lasses up the duff and become a lay about. Works for most of Sunderland.