The Rock

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

The Rock

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:47 pm

To the Yanks it’s Alcatraz, to the Brits it’s Gibraltar, but to Canadians it is our tenth and strangest province. It is bigger than the other Rocks, but then again Canada is much bigger than the USA and the UK would fit comfortably in one of our lakes. Newfoundland is closer to Sweden than Vancouver Island. Its inhabitants are descended from the Irish and Scots (because everyone else had more sense) and they speak with an unusual accent that sometimes leaves their meaning obscure. The weather is very uncertain – usually cold in summer and often foggy, it is also subject to high winds (their anemometers are said to be primitive – they hang a heavy chain out of the window and, if it is horizontal, they advise against sailing). The Vikings lived there for a century before heading back to the warmer climes of Iceland. It also proved the theory of continental drift – the West part belongs to North America geologically, the East part to Africa and the middle bit was once ocean bottom. Their time zone is half an hour before Atlantic time – where else are time zones anything other than hours? It joined Canada in my lifetime. The local beverage is called screetch and abstinence is recommended. Altogether an odd place.

On Saturday I begin the long trek to go there with three of my children (a day and a half drive, then a 14 hour ferry ride). Hopefully I will get there Monday night. As you will doubtless be relieved to hear, I will be unlikely to appear on the pages of TW for the next couple of weeks. I don’t know if they have the internet or what they call it if they do. However, I will try to keep abreast of things if fortune smiles.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:04 pm

Sounds like an interesting place, Monty. May you travel in safety and return with photographs!
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:16 pm

Is it in Bury? :mrgreen:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Spaced
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Spaced » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:40 pm

sounds like Dingles country...
"It's a subtle blend of lateral thinking and extreme violence."

"What, like It's A Knockout?"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:27 pm

InsaneApache wrote:Is it in Bury? :mrgreen:
I'm not sure, IA - does Bury look like this?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Re: The Rock

Post by blurred » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:42 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Their time zone is half an hour before Atlantic time – where else are time zones anything other than hours?
India/Pakistan are on a half-hour timezone aren't they? Somewhere around there is :D

And I've actually been to Newfoundland, for all of a couple of hours, for a plane to refuel. The place we landed was called 'Gander'. It had a small-ish airport. That's all I know :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:51 pm

blurred wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:Their time zone is half an hour before Atlantic time – where else are time zones anything other than hours?
India/Pakistan are on a half-hour timezone aren't they? Somewhere around there is :D

And I've actually been to Newfoundland, for all of a couple of hours, for a plane to refuel. The place we landed was called 'Gander'. It had a small-ish airport. That's all I know :D
Gander was a military airport during the war I think and is still the closest North American landing strip to Europe. You could be right about India - it just strikes me as daft.

edit: And you are right. India, Iran, Afghanistan, Northern Territory (Aust.) and South Australia are all offset time zones.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:57 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
InsaneApache wrote:Is it in Bury? :mrgreen:
I'm not sure, IA - does Bury look like this?
Well it didn't when I left Radcliffe 27 years ago, however I do believe that there has been a fair bit of developement near to the Two Tubs. :mrgreen:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:32 pm

Have a great time Monty - keep us posted if you can!

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:08 pm

A happy and safe trip to you Monty.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Aye - enjoy Monty :-) it's nowt like Bury...

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:11 pm

Have a great trip, Monty!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:30 pm

Image?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:05 pm

Wow, very nice, have a great time!

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:08 pm

And I've actually been to Newfoundland, for all of a couple of hours, for a plane to refuel. The place we landed was called 'Gander'. It had a small-ish airport. That's all I know :D[/quote]

Ditto. In 1990. They let us of the plane to have a wonder around and after a couple of mins you'd seen it.

The airport building looked like a large shed & probably was a large shed
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:41 pm

Have a good one Monty :D weather reports make it sound like over here!
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:06 pm

Nah nozza, this is THE Rock!