Oscar Pistorius

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Oscar Pistorius

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

bobo the clown wrote:For an accusation of that magnitude it's amazing he got out, i suppose the view was that he wasn't a danger to anyone else. He hàs to be a flight risk tho.
No worries. Customs metal detector will have him in a flash. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:31 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:He's innocent until proven guilty.

That bond will be ginormous, and they'll have to be fairly confident he won't do one.

Don't see it's a huge problem mesen unless there's evidence he's likely to flit.
Hmm, in a court of law yes.

But he's deliberately killed someone. He's effectively pleaded guilty to that.

Considering odds are he's going to jail for at least some term, I'd say he's a pretty big flight risk.

And above and beyond that considering what he's done, he shouldn't be even fecking asking.
Well, he claims it was self defence thinking it was Big Leroy and he did shoot through a wall. If his story is believed he may be found not guilty. In Texas he'd probably get a medal. As for a flight risk where could he run (I mean to hide not to compete) and how could he hide? If he tried he could never leave a country that sheltered him even if he could find one. Finally, I see nothing wrong in asking and, given his request was granted, it was reasonable to ask.

I read a while ago that even if he is found not guilty of premed murder the downgraded charge he has effectively already admitted to, I forget the legal term, will more than likely carry a jail sentence.

Which is one of the arguments the prosecutor used to try and deny bail in the first place. That jail was likely even if on a downgraded charge so his flight risk was increased.

Not an expert in South African law by any means but that was definitely an argument the prosecution used in the original bail hearing.
Granted, but the prosecution lost that argument and the subsequent one.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:22 am

Nowt wrong with him, the lead-swinging arse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28080236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Nowt wrong with him, the lead-swinging arse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28080236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good. Maybe they can get on with it now.

Another few days of watching him cry and chuck-up a lot I guess.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:17 pm

And making it up as he goes along

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:10 am

See, the underpants on the head and the pencils up the nose....sure sign, we didn't see any of that.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:59 am

To be fair he or his defence team never claimed there was.

They claimed he had an anxiety disorder that they are using to try and explain his bizarre behaviour that night. Like someone hearing a noise then grabbing their gun and shooting is fairly bizarre without first checking what the noise was and who was in the house etc. But someone with an anxiety disorder might be more likely to react in an extreme way.

The investigation was as a result of them bringing the alleged disorder into play late in proceedings because once there is a mental disorder they have to check whether he was of sound mind on the night he shot (otherwise he would be off to the loony bin). It is possible they found he had an anxiety disorder but still was of sound mind. Or that he had no disorder and was of sound mind. We don't know.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:50 am

The GAD was intimated at by some defence witnesses. The prosecution then decided to get it investigated to prevent it being used as a back-stop or even the basis of an appeal. I think that was clever of him.

They have managed also to sew the seeds about his behaviour in Court being simple play-acting and, from some remarks made by the judge it seems she's already there.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:53 am

bobo the clown wrote:The GAD was intimated at by some defence witnesses. The prosecution then decided to get it investigated to prevent it being used as a back-stop or even the basis of an appeal. I think that was clever of him.

They have managed also to sew the seeds about his behaviour in Court being simple play-acting and, from some remarks made by the judge it seems she's already there.
Aye but primarily the defence wanted to show that how he reacted was somehow in accordance with his general behaviour. To try and negate the "unlikely" nature of his behaviour, to show it was in character. It backfired on them somewhat. Though they definitely will be relieved he didn't get diagnosed as properly mental, that would have been awkward for them.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:56 am

↑↑↑ The Prosecution will be relieved as if defined as crackers he'd be put in a hospital jail, treated and soon enough declared cured and released. That option has gone now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:58 am

bobo the clown wrote:↑↑↑ The Prosecution will be relieved as if defined as crackers he'd be put in a hospital jail, treated and soon enough declared cured and released. That option has gone now.
Yeah though I suspect him getting sentenced to a loony bin would be seen as a fail on the defence team's part.

I genuinely think he believes even going through a trial is unfair on him. Unpleasant character if you ask me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:10 pm

That is how it works. You pretend to be mental, they say it's fine and put you in a hospital, you give it a good six months so they don't think you're taking the piss, then tell them you're cured and they let you go.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:19 pm

Prufrock wrote:That is how it works. You pretend to be mental, they say it's fine and put you in a hospital, you give it a good six months so they don't think you're taking the piss, then tell them you're cured and they let you go.
Exactly this.

He's lost that opportunity now though.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:31 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Prufrock wrote:That is how it works. You pretend to be mental, they say it's fine and put you in a hospital, you give it a good six months so they don't think you're taking the piss, then tell them you're cured and they let you go.
Exactly this.

Or he keeps kicking off with the evil head nurse and ends up getting smothered to death by a large native american following his lobotomy.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Beefheart wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Exactly this.

Or he keeps kicking off with the evil head nurse and ends up getting smothered to death by a large native american following his lobotomy.
... in South Africa ???

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:01 pm

I see the clinical report whilst rubbishing the anxiety defence has been quite favourable to Pistorius.

"It also said he did not show signs of narcissism or explosive rage, which is usually seen in men who are abusive to their partners."

Makes the state's case that he was those things a bit dubious as they've had to accept the findings of the expert clinicians.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:29 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:I see the clinical report whilst rubbishing the anxiety defence has been quite favourable to Pistorius.

"It also said he did not show signs of narcissism or explosive rage, which is usually seen in men who are abusive to their partners."

Makes the state's case that he was those things a bit dubious as they've had to accept the findings of the expert clinicians.
How can anyone assess explosive rage in a clinical environment though? Narcissism might creep through without his realising it, but I can't see how capacity for rage could be properly assessed without the right triggers, or properly winding him up. That seems an unlikely clinical tactic.
I doubt that bit of the report will hold much sway.
How much longer is this likely to drag on for, does anyone know?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:41 am

LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I see the clinical report whilst rubbishing the anxiety defence has been quite favourable to Pistorius.

How can anyone assess explosive rage in a clinical environment though? Narcissism might creep through without his realising it, but I can't see how capacity for rage could be properly assessed without the right triggers, or properly winding him up. That seems an unlikely clinical tactic.
I doubt that bit of the report will hold much sway.
How much longer is this likely to drag on for, does anyone know?
A panel of psychiatrists and psychologists profiled him for a month. And he had various clinical tests too during that period. What they're saying is that he doesn't have the personality type typical of "rage criminals". Of course they aren't saying he didn't fly into a rage, they are saying that the personality type the state have based their case on isn't true. Which is after a thorough clinical assessment that the state have had to accept.

He isn't going to be found guilty of murder IMO.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:54 am

LeverEnd wrote:How much longer is this likely to drag on for, does anyone know?
Are you suggesting he's dragging his feet ?? :|

===================================

I think they're onto the final handful of defence witnesses now. They're currently trying to get more character witnesses to make, in honesty, pointless "he loved his gerbil" testimony.

So, I'm guessing this stage has another 3 or 4 weeks to run (sorry). Then all the summaries, decisions, sentencing (if appropriate ??!!) taking a further week or more.

THEN his inevitable appeal.

I read the following ...
Final defence witnesses
Pistorius's defence team has already resumed its case, with several more witnesses to be called. First up is Dr Gerald Versfeld, the orthopaedic surgeon who amputated Pistorius's legs. The Daily Telegraph suggests that another psychologist and potentially some friends of Pistorius and Steenkamp could also be called.

Final argumentsOnce the defence has brought its final witnesses and closed its case, both sides will have the opportunity to present their arguments as to why Pistorius should or should not be convicted. According to ABC News, the trial could be postponed for as long as six weeks to give the lawyers time to prepare their final written arguments. These documents will explain in detail each side’s version of events on the night of the shooting and how the evidence presented in court supports their account. The documents will be given to the judge, her assessors and the opposing sides. Both the defence and prosecution will also put their arguments verbally to the court.

Judgement
The case will be adjourned, possibly for a few weeks, to give Judge Masipa and her assessors time to consider the final written documents and the evidence they have heard in court. South Africa abolished jury trials under apartheid in 1969, due to fears of racial prejudice by white jurors. A judgement will therefore be passed by Masipa, who could take a day or more in court giving her summary and analysis of the evidence.

Sentencing
If Pistorius is found guilty then the court must consider an appropriate sentence. Both sides are entitled to present arguments or evidence for a longer or shorter sentence. If convicted of premeditated murder, the athlete faces up to 25 years in prison.

Appeal
If Pistorius is convicted, he could still appeal to the supreme court, where three to five judges would listen to his case, and even eventually to South Africa’s constitutional court.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/world-news/osc ... z36ORMnshF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The latest efforts are to say that he's a suicide risk and he needs psychiatric counselling before any further action is taken. The defence are hoping this could drag things along for another 6 months.

My cynical self .... & yes, you may be surprised to hear there is one ... says it'll drag on, one way or another, until his money runs out. This defence must be costing him an absolute fortune.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:07 pm

Unbelieveable. Is this type of trial just for people with lots of money for a defence team? I think BWFCI could be right, he'll get off.
IMO he will just buy his way out of it effectively, OJ style.