Things to do in Greece (on a shoestring)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Things to do in Greece (on a shoestring)

Post by Verbal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:34 am

Okay doke, so on Thursday I fly out to Thessaloniki to meet up with some friends to backpack across the country for two weeks. Now the only ever times I have been to Greece are when I was a) very young or b) on a lads holiday. This time however we plan to do a bit of a tour, taking in the sights, island hopping etc. I was wondering if any body on here could recommend anything that is really worth doing from a tourists P.O.V?
Last edited by Verbal on Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:35 am

Err isnt it on fire at the moment?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:37 am

Slightly singed, but not as bad as it was.

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:54 am

Santorini is a beautiful volcanic island with fantastic sunsets and hot springs if that's your bag.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:25 pm

Lennon wrote:Santorini is a beautiful volcanic island with fantastic sunsets and hot springs if that's your bag.
expensive accommodation, recommend staying in olbia if you go...about half the price than the main town

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:02 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Lennon wrote:Santorini is a beautiful volcanic island with fantastic sunsets and hot springs if that's your bag.
expensive accommodation, recommend staying in olbia if you go...about half the price than the main town
we're looking at hostels mainly, and if worst comes to worst we are taking tents. Know of any on the island? Cheers for the tip though :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:12 pm

Things to do in Greece....on a shoestring.

Play conkers? :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:22 pm

Verbal wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
we're looking at hostels mainly, and if worst comes to worst we are taking tents. Know of any on the island? Cheers for the tip though :)
if i remember correctly there is camping. Don't know how much but I'd say it would be based on hotel and apartment cost (in proportion). I paid over £100 a night for a room with an ok view in September some years back. It wasn't anything special and the swimming pool was so cold me knackers still haven't recovered :shock: I preferred Olbia as it got loads of day trippers, but in the evening it was nice and lively but not mentally so.

Naxos was nice for a couple of days. Couple of nice beaches to chill and some nice walking/scenery/driving. Was a great bar there too, got absolutely hammered with some random Norwegian guy and the bar owner. can't remember exactly where it was though :doh:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:33 pm

are you staying around the 20th?
if so you could hop on the 7.10 train to Skopje....

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:20 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:are you staying around the 20th?
I was actually looking into that as I don't come back until the 23rd. shall have to look into it further though.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:24 pm

how about conkers? you do that on a shoestring, do they have conkers in greece?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:32 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Me and the mrs paid 20 euros a night back in May for a decent little b&b in Kamari. And you can get anywhere on the island within half an hour via bus. But yeah, Oia (the sunset place) is extortionate.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:56 pm

Verbal wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:are you staying around the 20th?
I was actually looking into that as I don't come back until the 23rd. shall have to look into it further though.
only costs 10EUR apparently. though the carriages may make first northern look like the space shuttle

that's actually how I'm looking at doing it, flying into thessal... place and and training it across

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:39 pm

On a shoestring, I would heartily recommend the Raki as opposed to the more expensive Ouzo....it doesn't take much....

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:15 pm

WikiTravel has this to say about links from Thessaloniki to Skopje:
Wikitravel wrote: To/From Skopje, - direct link: Skopje to Thessaloniki train is 20€ RT with young person discount, 20% more without. Train leaves for Thessaloniki at 3:10am or 4:00pm. Thessaloniki to Skopje train leaves at 9am or 7pm. Both trains take about 4 hours.
QUality, hop on the 9am train, have a day in Skopje, watch the match, catch the night train and be back in time for brekkie.

Any info on how far Rabotnicki is from Skopje?

EDIT: Rabotnicki do play in Skopje, well there you go.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:19 am

Worthy4England wrote:On a shoestring, I would heartily recommend the Raki as opposed to the more expensive Ouzo....it doesn't take much....
Or Chipero if in the west of the country. Did you know that they are not allowed to sell it? They have to give it away. Oh and don't light a fag up for a few minutes after drinking! :shock:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:57 am

One thing not to do is photograph sensitive installations aircraft/airports train stations, probably public toilets too. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:47 pm

Things to do in Greece....on a shoestring.

Follow Olivia Newton John up the stairs........oh, er Greece you meant. :P
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:03 pm

Hello, currently reporting from a internet cafe in epiduros (or something like that) about 40mins from Corinth. Been a cracking visit so far though somewhat soured by the fact I cannot make it to Skopje. Either way I will post some pictures up of the sights and wonders when i return at the end of the month

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:04 pm

Don;t start any fires