RUGBY WORLD CUP THREAD

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:Going to get battered tonight!! Watch the 'Boks last weekend and they looked mighty impressive.
Think you're prolly right DLH...but on occasion, the Bok's have been known not to "turn up" for the odd game here and there...
Aye but we havent turned up since the last world cup.
bit of an over-simplification....but broadly correct...

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:45 pm

Just to point out to the southern biased media, this is actually the Rugby Union World Cup and not Rugby World Cup, as the endless use of that title implies that the superior version of the game played in the smelly north doesn't count as proper rugby.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:54 pm

Dear oh, dear. 20-0 at half time and we can't see where a score is coming from. We look like a schoolboy bunch and are getting shown up. Come on England, where's the grit and the passion? Buck up lads and get back in there. World Champs, not at this rate.

Edit. Can we give RSA a 20 point lead and come back? No chance, we got smashed to bits; 36-0 and Jason Robinson out of it. Fraid it's looking early bath time for this World Cup. I'd love to be wrong but we got outplayed all over the park and never looked like scoring. RSA just sat back second half and still racked up another 16 points. One to forget.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:16 am

Aye, a bit of a battering that one. Combined with the 20/20 vision currently being played out in S.A. not a good day at all.

If I remember correctly England play Samoa next in a game that will seal its fate in the competition. Good luck.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:34 am

It was on in the bar I was in last night in town, now I don't know the first thing about this 'sport' but the look on Robinson's face when he went down made me wince

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:07 am

a torn hamstring is really painful. did it myself a few years back. Looks like thats it for him with him retiring at the end of the world cup. Sad end to a career for one of the best players we've had in recent years in both codes :(

England were shocking last night, it was like schoolboys v men. No ideas and years behind in terms of skill. Our forwards aren't powerful enough to play the way we tried to and the backs had no imagination. Samoa is going to be a tough game and even if we get through Australia will do the same to us as the Boks did <shakes>

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:56 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:a torn hamstring is really painful. did it myself a few years back. Looks like thats it for him with him retiring at the end of the world cup. Sad end to a career for one of the best players we've had in recent years in both codes :(

England were shocking last night, it was like schoolboys v men. No ideas and years behind in terms of skill. Our forwards aren't powerful enough to play the way we tried to and the backs had no imagination. Samoa is going to be a tough game and even if we get through Australia will do the same to us as the Boks did <shakes>
Look - we're just lining up an easier win in the final, by needed to beat Australia (job done) and (New Zealand - errr oops) - France on the way there.....

It'll be reet.

For the Paterson is better than Wilko brigade - England's top tackler yesterday was? England's top point scorer was? The new Rugby World Cup points record holder is? Oh and which of the two currently possesses a World Cup Winners medal? I've kept it simple for you - it's the same person in each case.

Answer below:

WILKO
Last edited by Worthy4England on Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:51 am

love the optimism but that sounds a bit spud like :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:28 pm

Bottom line is we haven't got the players we had last time. No younger Martin Johnstones, Lawrwnce Dalaglios, Thompsons, Dawsons....and Johnny Wikinson out of it, Bartley out of it, now Robinson out. We had a golden era, will be hard to get anywhere near it for a while.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:55 am

If England beats Samoa and then comes up against Australia I wouldn't be worrying too much as the 'Wallaby' team is far and away a lesser combination than it was a few years ago.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:58 am

Dujon wrote:If England beats Samoa and then comes up against Australia I wouldn't be worrying too much as the 'Wallaby' team is far and away a lesser combination than it was a few years ago.
Not to the extent that that is true of us though, Dujon.

It's not really about management in our setup, in my opinion. Every single one of those South Africans was tall, muscle-bound and very athletic - we just don't have the athletes to compete at the moment, and that would be true against Australia too.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:50 am

except that the management picked 2 number 10's who have brittle bone disease and make Ricky Gardner look injury-free, and no cover. He also picked Andy Farrell, who's played less rugby union than me, and has been also been injured most of the last 4 years. Add in to that a pack which is about as mobile as Lisa Riley and a couple of wingers who couldn't tackle a sudoku puzzle let alone an oncoming opponent.

The captain is out of form, the previous captain is lacking the heart of a captain and the man who should be captain has seen his form drop off.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:36 pm

ratbert wrote:Just to point out to the southern biased media, this is actually the Rugby Union World Cup and not Rugby World Cup, as the endless use of that title implies that the superior version of the game played in the smelly north doesn't count as proper rugby.
And, ridiculously, the RFL apparently actually holds the copyright to 'Rugby World Cup'.

I've been watching the odd game and I do at least try to get in to it, but watching Wigan-Saints last Friday was always likely to be so much more entertaining than watching England get stuffed again.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm not into Rugby at all, but can anyone answer me this.

I thought the tournament was being held in France, yet Scotland played at Murrayfield and Wales playet at Cardiff?

How does that work?

Why don't England play at Twickenham?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I'm not into Rugby at all, but can anyone answer me this.

I thought the tournament was being held in France, yet Scotland played at Murrayfield and Wales playet at Cardiff?

How does that work?

Why don't England play at Twickenham?
France awarded them games as bribes for backing their bid to host it
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Better, better, and Wilkinson IS the difference. Anybody who thinks he's just a glamour-boy figure who can kick should take a big look and change their minds. He was immense today, into everything and tackiling like a demon. Cueto was great and the whole team showed some guts and passion against a decent Samoan side. Much better and we're still in with a chance. Our defence was terrific, we won more of our linouts (and a few of theirs too) and all-round looked much better.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:31 pm

Much improved showing and some real guts against serious muscle from Tonga. Good win and a quarter-final place. Oh, and Andy Farrell scored a nice try, almost as good as Paul Sackey's. :wink:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:06 am

Jonny had better find his kicking boots if the report I read was correct. It seems there's a bit of speed in the team so it'll be interesting to see how the Wallabies handle it or even if England exploit it to its advantage. It could be a good game.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:25 am

Dujon wrote:Jonny had better find his kicking boots if the report I read was correct. It seems there's a bit of speed in the team so it'll be interesting to see how the Wallabies handle it or even if England exploit it to its advantage. It could be a good game.
There's not too much wrong with the boots he's currently wearing if you watch the game (two dropped goals and pinpoint chip to the corner for a try). England's big weakness seems to be in the backs at 12 and 13. Barkley is out of position and out of form and Tait looks a little lightweight at that level. Hipkiss looked good when he came on but he's probably a bit too inexperienced to be picked for the next game. I reckon Australia will win next week but I wouldn't put the royalties from SOTWA's book on it.

Anyway, enough of egg-chasing - get it right up them Rams!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:31 pm

Great game today when the Welsh were knocked out...soon to be joined by Scotland and Ireland tomorrow