RUGBY WORLD CUP THREAD

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nobby7
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by nobby7 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:01 pm

"soon to be joined by scotland"....good one mate....shame our goal kicker is betterr than wilkjinson could ever dream of being.....yes chris paterson does still have a 100% kicking record for the world cup....johnny ain't so good now

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:16 pm

He is a good goal kicker, but him and Jason White is about all that the Jocks have got.

Good performance from them last night, handled the occasion much better than the Italians.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:32 pm

nobby7 wrote:"soon to be joined by scotland"....good one mate....shame our goal kicker is betterr than wilkjinson could ever dream of being.....yes chris paterson does still have a 100% kicking record for the world cup....johnny ain't so good now
No - Paterson still has a long way to go to be considered in the same breath as Wilkinson. His form in this world cup has been excellent though.

nobby7
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by nobby7 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:17 am

all ive seen from wilkinson is a load of whining about the balls being used at the world cup affecting his kicking, some missed kicks and a couple of predictable drop goals.....

And Jafka....simon taylor would walk into the england team and rory lamont is a better player than lewsey who have been poor for a few years now...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:39 am

nobby7 wrote:all ive seen from wilkinson is a load of whining about the balls being used at the world cup affecting his kicking, some missed kicks and a couple of predictable drop goals.....

And Jafka....simon taylor would walk into the england team and rory lamont is a better player than lewsey who have been poor for a few years now...
dream on. :roll:

and anyone else mention the match balls not being kicked in, anyone say wearing all black??
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:05 am

I was at Twickers for the game in February of this year, when England did indeed win by 42-20. It has to be said in this game that Wilkinson did miss more than Paterson - Paterson missed one kick against Wilko's 3. On the arse end of the conversation though, Wilko did get 27 points to Paterson's 10, including a superb score in the corner - which in the scheme of things means I could live with his kick % on that occasion :-)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:45 am

nobby7 wrote:all ive seen from wilkinson is a load of whining about the balls being used at the world cup affecting his kicking, some missed kicks and a couple of predictable drop goals.....

Well looks like we will have to agree to disagree on who has got the best players.

However do you think that Scotland would have qualified from England's group or indeed France's group?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:05 am

jaffka wrote:

Well looks like we will have to agree to disagree on who has got the best players.

However do you think that Scotland would have qualified from England's group or indeed France's group?
Guess that would all depend on which team "dropped out" to accommodate Scotland - I assume you're talking about the home nations dropping out? I think they would have qualified from England's group probably, but France's group (assuming Scotland were swapped for Ireland) might have been a bit tougher - for England too. Argentina have played well this RWC and beating the hosts on their own midden was no mean feat.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:24 am

A straight swap Scotland for England.

nobby7
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by nobby7 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:54 am

i genuinly think we could have qualified from englands group...probably not frances...as argentina have been outstanding
i'm sorry but i just feel the need to defend our team coz they are so constantly under-rated
On a lighter note...i'm gonna be in argentina for the scotland argentina quater final...gonna be absolutely awesome....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:59 pm

Aye - I think you would have probably qualified from Englands group too. But a bit like England these days, you never know which Scotland team is turning up - the good one or the not-so-good one...Although England ended up winning fairly comfortable against Samoa, there were moments when it was difficult to judge. Did think the boys put in an impressive display against Tonga though.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:45 pm

nobby7 wrote:i genuinly think we could have qualified from englands group...probably not frances...as argentina have been outstanding
i'm sorry but i just feel the need to defend our team coz they are so constantly under-rated
On a lighter note...i'm gonna be in argentina for the scotland argentina quater final...gonna be absolutely awesome....
It's not that they are under-rated but always at the same level, neither world beaters or total chumps. With the present difficulties of Scottish RU, Frank Hadden has done a marvellous job getting the team to the quarter finals. However if things don't improve that job is going to get harder and harder.

Now look at the Irish on the other hand before the tournament started they were touted as possible finalists, however their big guns bar Brian O'Driscoll didn’t fire, and they looked totally ordinary, a shadow of the team that blitzed England at Croke Park.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:04 pm

back to % kicking success, just one question were all teh kicks taken from identical places in identical conditions? No? Thought not. Dumb ass comparison.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Paterson is as good a kicker as wilkinson. His all round game however is not as good as Wilkinson in his pomp.

However, they do play in different positions. Fullback/Wing Vs Full-back, cannot realy compare the 2. Give me the option of who I'd have in my team, and I'd have neither, although Wilkinson would make my bench as cover for Carter, Paterson wouldn't make the squad for me.
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:11 pm

David Lee's Hair wrote:Paterson is as good a kicker as wilkinson. His all round game however is not as good as Wilkinson in his pomp.

However, they do play in different positions. Fullback/Wing Vs Full-back, cannot realy compare the 2. Give me the option of who I'd have in my team, and I'd have neither, although Wilkinson would make my bench as cover for Carter, Paterson wouldn't make the squad for me.
Not picking you up or being sarcy but I think you meant fullback/wing Vs fly half.

There are some calls to play Patterson at fly half due to the dearth of talent in that area in Scottish Rugby.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:20 pm

jaffka wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:Paterson is as good a kicker as wilkinson. His all round game however is not as good as Wilkinson in his pomp.

Not picking you up or being sarcy but I think you meant fullback/wing Vs fly half.

There are some calls to play Patterson at fly half due to the dearth of talent in that area in Scottish Rugby.
not picking you up or being sarcy but surely you meant :roll:

:-)

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
jaffka wrote:

not picking you up or being sarcy but surely you meant :roll:

:-)
Did mean that (fly-half not full-back).

Hasn't he played there in the past though? Shame really, as the Scots have a lot of talent at Scrum half, I'm a big fan of Cusiter, and Blair isn't bad at all. Would be interesting to see how they'd have done with a decent fly-half like townsend.
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:49 pm

Sod all this England vs Scotland banter. Its the Aussies I'm worried about, just hoping we can turn them barstewards over for a change ( or like 4 years ago )
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:15 pm

i'm all set for saturday, hope that we perform

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by jonnybwfc » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:04 pm

wovlad wrote:Sod all this England vs Scotland banter. Its the Aussies I'm worried about, just hoping we can turn them barstewards over for a change ( or like 4 years ago )
Was thinking the same thing ... comparing England and Scotland in Rugby is like comparing Derby and ... uh ... Bolton in the Prem.

As a Wallaby supporter I'm confident we'll win, unless it turns into a kicking duel (like 4 years ago).
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!