Loss of expenses

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Loss of expenses

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:11 pm

I left my wallet at a friends house which was last night broekn into, my wallet being one of the things taken. I have a load of expense receipts in there amounting to a couple of hundred quid, which my comapny has said, If I don't show them receipts I don't het the money, is there anyway I'm covered without copies of them? My mate has been giving a crime reference number and reported my wallet as a stolen item. I know I can get bank statements to cover prove this but it'll probably put me back a month in claiming.

Any thoughts as to what I could possibly do?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Loss of expenses

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:26 pm

boltonboris wrote:I left my wallet at a friends house which was last night broekn into, my wallet being one of the things taken. I have a load of expense receipts in there amounting to a couple of hundred quid, which my comapny has said, If I don't show them receipts I don't het the money, is there anyway I'm covered without copies of them? My mate has been giving a crime reference number and reported my wallet as a stolen item. I know I can get bank statements to cover prove this but it'll probably put me back a month in claiming.

Knowing company expense procedures, I think you might have problems Boris. Could you not list the expense receipts as stolen property on the insurance claim? Either way, I think you'll have to wait that month and provide proof unless you have a very understanding accounts department, a rare item indeed. :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Knowing company expense procedures, I think you might have problems Boris. Could you not list the expense receipts as stolen property on the insurance claim? Either way, I think you'll have to wait that month and provide proof unless you have a very understanding accounts department, a rare item indeed. :(
Indeed not, at least in my sphere. "I didn't get where I am in the accounts-payable department by paying accounts!"
Best of luck Boris, hope there was nothing irreplaceable in there like a ladywoman's number, or the Turin Shroud.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:36 pm

boltonboris wrote:I left my wallet at a friends house which was last night broekn into, my wallet being one of the things taken. I have a load of expense receipts in there amounting to a couple of hundred quid, which my comapny has said, If I don't show them receipts I don't het the money, is there anyway I'm covered without copies of them? My mate has been giving a crime reference number and reported my wallet as a stolen item. I know I can get bank statements to cover prove this but it'll probably put me back a month in claiming.

tough one but if you paid on debit or credit card then you should be able to see what you spent and where. The problem is on specificity - essentially you could have bought anything at those places depending where they were. They're unlikely to accept them as the tax man won't.

Best thing to do is claim on your insurance for the maximum amount of cash covered by the policy, usually £250 or £500.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:39 pm

communistworkethic wrote:

tough one but if you paid on debit or credit card then you should be able to see what you spent and where. The problem is on specificity - essentially you could have bought anything at those places depending where they were. They're unlikely to accept them as the tax man won't.

Best thing to do is claim on your insurance for the maximum amount of cash covered by the policy, usually £250 or £500.
It was on a Solo debit card, so not sure if I'm covered - anybody know?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:34 pm

communistworkethic wrote:tough one but if you paid on debit or credit card then you should be able to see what you spent and where. The problem is on specificity - essentially you could have bought anything at those places depending where they were. They're unlikely to accept them as the tax man won't.

What he said.

If you can get copies, that will do it. Otherwise you're at their mercy. (& God bless you !!)

Alternative is, as said, add it to the robbery claim.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:35 pm

boltonboris wrote:

How come you're shelling out by way of your own personal debit card on company expenses?
May the bridges I burn light your way

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:41 pm

It happens, Bruce

Trust me
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:57 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:It happens, Bruce

Trust me
Debit card, though? I buy the car fuel on my own Visa and then charge it back to the company at pence per mile. As such, Az claimed mi brass back fust!

What we're looking at here is the fella shelling out his own hard earned first off, with seemingly nowt by way of recourse! :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:01 am

Aye, it happens
Sto ut Serviam

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:04 am

You could e-mail Joof, he is saying he's having similar problems on reimbursement of expenses with Senegal - perhaps he could give you good advise? (sorry that you lost em btw)

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:02 am

Make a mental note of the outstanding amount. Screw it out of your bastard employer by false claims and dodgy receipts over the next six months.

Twice.

8)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:09 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Make a mental note of the outstanding amount. Screw it out of your bastard employer by false claims and dodgy receipts over the next six months.

Twice.

8)
You're self employed aren't you, Zulu? :wink:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:10 am

boltonboris wrote:

no you're not per se.

Your home insuance will probably cover the loss of your wallet and contents, just claim the maximum allowed for cash in the wallet, that'll see you right.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:14 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Trust me
Debit card, though? I buy the car fuel on my own Visa and then charge it back to the company at pence per mile. As such, Az claimed mi brass back fust!

What we're looking at here is the fella shelling out his own hard earned first off, with seemingly nowt by way of recourse! :conf:
but it's not just petrol people might have as an expense, food, train tickets, taxis for example. Taxis are a big one if you're in london, unless you're part of a company contract you'll be paying in cash and claiming back. And not everyone is lucky enough to have company credit cards either.

Most company expenses are paid for by the individual and claimed back with evidence of a receipt.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:14 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Trust me

but it's not just petrol people might have as an expense, food, train tickets, taxis for example. Taxis are a big one if you're in london, unless you're part of a company contract you'll be paying in cash and claiming back. And not everyone is lucky enough to have company credit cards either.

Most company expenses are paid for by the individual and claimed back with evidence of a receipt.
Aye, thats how I've always had to do it. I thought that was the norm. :?
Businesswoman of the year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:55 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Trust me

Same for us, and it can take two or three months. "You don't like it? Then leave."

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:17 am

enfieldwhite wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Make a mental note of the outstanding amount. Screw it out of your bastard employer by false claims and dodgy receipts over the next six months.

Twice.

8)
You're self employed aren't you, Zulu? :wink:
:D
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:04 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Trust me

Same for us, and it can take two or three months. "You don't like it? Then leave."
Same over here, although it usually only takes a week after you file. I would think that most companies would eventually reimburse in this situation after some paperwork - perhaps an affidavit, sworn or otherwise might do. Mind you, leaving your wallet in a friend's house right before the burglary sounds a tad suspicious to me. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:06 pm

I think that there was a recent change in HM Custom rules that all expense claims had to be furnished with a relevant receipt. IIRC this rule change was due to EC law.