Ian Brown - Anti-Christ?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:03 pm

hahahahaha - I just opened this thread and one of the google ad's was "Stone Roses Ian Brown" :lmfao: maybe Kylie isn't popular enough yet ;-)

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:07 pm

try entitling a thread "Kylie Minogue - perfect pocket pop poppet"....
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:back to the Q Awards... y'have to titter at a magazine giving an award to the "Artic Monkeys". All hail the truck-driving banana-botherers!
Well, after years of loyally subscribing to Q, since around 1989, from the days when very few had heard of it and any award that they chose to dole out meant nish, I finally stopped reading it around two years ago having seen my favourite, wittiest, most intelligent and factually based musical read morph into this 'The bestest 100 Gigs ever 'according to us', the bestest 100 albums ever 'according to us', the bestest 100 tracks to return your gerbil's library books to 'according to us', oh and by the way, each month's copy has to be half-filled with how the world is about to cease without the most over-rated feck* ever to do us all a favour 'according to me' Curt Cobain. Sadly, when I picked up last months copy of my now preferred tipple (FFT) I saw that it came replete with 'The hundred bestest footie boys ever 'according to us'. It was with a heavy heart that I placed it back on the rack! :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:back to the Q Awards... y'have to titter at a magazine giving an award to the "Artic Monkeys". All hail the truck-driving banana-botherers!
Well, after years of loyally subscribing to Q, since around 1989, from the days when very few had heard of it and any award that they chose to dole out meant nish, I finally stopped reading it around two years ago having seen my favourite, wittiest, most intelligent and factually based musical read morph into this 'The bestest 100 Gigs ever 'according to us', the bestest 100 albums ever 'according to us', the bestest 100 tracks to return your gerbil's library books to 'according to us', oh and by the way, each month's copy has to be half-filled with how the world is about to cease without the most over-rated feck ever to do us all a favour 'according to me' Curt Cobain. Sadly, when I picked up last months copy of my now preferred tipple (FFT) I saw that it came replete with 'The hundred bestest footie boys ever 'according to us'. It was with a heavy heart that I placed it back on the rack! :(
Interesting words. Firstly, sorry you didn't like our 100-players issue, there were various reasons for it but you'll notice there's none o'that this month or at any point in the future, as far as I know (and that's most of the way to this time next year). Those top-100 things are now endemic among magazines because they fill the pages, they're a matter of opinion and thus can't be wrong, and they also provoke reaction and thus coverage - I notice Batman brought it up for discussion on this very board. These things all tick boxes with publishers (as in the blokes in suits who count the money at magazine companies).

However, it's gone way too far at Q, a magazine I too used to regard as something approaching holy scripture. Of course, this was in the pomp of Mark Ellen (editor of the first 52 Qs) and his benign boss David Hepworth (managing editor), who later set up Mojo and Empire (films aren't my thang, but I understand it was a fine magazine). They later tired of the constant corporate grind at Emap, the huge company which produces those mags and a thousand others, and fled to independently set up The Word magazine; it's still the only monthly I shell out my hard-earned on (despite the fact I could legitimately claim it back on expenses...) and I heartily recommend you try it if you haven't already.

Q's problem, beside a tangible lack of innovation, is that it's being squeezed out. It's always aimed to be 'adult', even compared to the inkie weeklies that were still going strong when it set up two decades ago, but the likes of Mojo (its own stablemate!), Uncut and The Word are now far better suited to the likes of, eh, me and you than Q is. And we're more likely to be targeted by the advertisers - indeed The Word was explicitly set up to cater for "The £50 Guy", who's reasonably cash-rich but time-poor and will pop to the shops in his lunch hour and buy the three CDs he's heard about which most tickle his fancy.

Moreover, and more worryingly for the mag, bands (even as young as the Monkeys) are now expressing a preference for appearing on the cover of Mojo rather than Q. Cynics might say this is the management pushing them toward greater sales, but someone of Alex Turner's ilk will probably be more inclined to share pages with CCR than CSS.

Anyway, enough from this bum, more of Kylie's.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 pm

your wish........

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 pm

Now THAT's a page lead.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:32 am

Which show were Hepworth and Ellen on

Come on, its gonna annoy me
Sto ut Serviam

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:21 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:Which show were Hepworth and Ellen on

TOGWT

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:09 am

communistworkethic wrote:again worthy - she is an idol, whether it be a force for good or she's satan incarnate, she is nothing if not an idol.
What?

How on earth is she an idol????????????

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:36 am

Lennon wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:again worthy - she is an idol, whether it be a force for good or she's satan incarnate, she is nothing if not an idol.
What?

How on earth is she an idol????????????
Idol. Role model.

Whatever, she portrays a very positive image. The music isn't my taste but I admire the person she appears to be. Strong, focussed and fun.

not gay :mrgreen:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:58 am

communistworkethic wrote:your wish........

:help:

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:14 pm

communistworkethic wrote:

TOGWT
Cheers, though it took me two minutes to work it out!
Sto ut Serviam

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:06 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
TOGWT
Sorry CAPS, I'd logged off. Aye, they took over from whisperin' Bob in the early 80s.

I believe it was also Hepworth whose 'running total' announcement to Geldof at Live Aid provoked the famously furious "Is that it?" reaction.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:16 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:

TOGWT
It took me two minutes on Google and I'm still none the wiser - old grey whistles mean nothing to me I'm afraid. :oops:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:10 pm

I once worked security in the VIP area of an Ian Brown gig, he's cool as feck to be fair to him.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Athers wrote:I once worked security in the VIP area of an Ian Brown gig, he's cool as feck to be fair to him.
M'chum interviewed him and found him to be very personable and pleasant (for a rag) but somewhat away with the fairies. Not surprising for someone whose diet for half a decade appeared to consist of chips and weed.