Setanta - Avoid

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Setanta - Avoid

Post by fatshaft » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:39 am

**Warning Long**

Took Sultana up on their no contract deal in August as it's the only way to see the Dons, who knows maybe by the end of the season they'll even have shown a Bolton game?

Anyway, I had trouble with them when I took out their service a couple of years ago, when they first took the SPL. I was assured at that time that they would show every game that the BBC covered live. I asked specifically if this was the case as previously they only showed the game if one of the Old Firm was involved. Categorically I was told that this would be the case. 6 weeks into the season, and we come to Aberdeen v Hearts, first BBC game not involving the Old Firm - you guessed it - no coverage. This was at the time the service was aimed at Ireland, and they forgot that the rest of Scotland doesn't watch the Old Firm unless their own team are playing, we've had donkeys years of that on terestrial TV, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for the same nonsense.

Anyway, after that I cancelled with them immediately.

So now, I give them a second chance and ................................

fatshaft wrote:To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, 8 August, 2007 1:30:09 PM

Subject: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

Hi,

I'm thinking of subsbcribing to your service, however having taken individual games in the past from you, I realise your customer service can be a hassle.

If I wanted to stop my subscription, how easy is it?

Also, it's £9.99 per month, say I order this on 12th August, but decide to cancel on 20th August giving you 30 days notice, how much do I owe you?

Finally, how would I cancel, phone/email?

Any help appreciated.
All emails receive the following automated response, promising a five day turnaround at most. Take it as read you receive one of these every time.
[email protected] wrote:From: "[email protected]" <customerservices>
Sent: Wednesday, 8 August, 2007 1:34:22 PM
Subject: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

Thank you for contacting Setanta Sports. Your email has been received by
our Customer Service team.

If your enquiry is of an urgent nature, please contact us on one of the
following numbers:

SETANTA SPORTS:
Great Britain customers - 08712 00 33 22 or 08700 50 69 44(RUK)
ROI customers - 0818 20 30 40 or 0818 71 99 92 (RUK)
Northern Ireland customers - 08700 50 69 50 or 08700 50 69 44(RUK)

Kind Regards
Setanta Sports Customer Service
After waiting for a couple of weeks, on the morning of Saturday 19th August I phone them to sign up as Aberdeen v Celtic are on, as that's the first game I wanted to see. I ask specifically if their monthly fee only, no contract service needs a connection fee every time you cancel and rejoin? I am told and clarify with the girl that it is a one-ff and only applies the first time that you join.
Setanta wrote:From: Setanta Customer Services <customerservices>

Sent: Sunday, 26 August, 2007 9:49:51 AM

Subject: Re: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

Dear Sir

Thank you for your e-mail and please accept my apologies for the delay in response.

Providing you have Sky digital equipment and a viewing card number we can send the signal to, it is possible to subscribe to our service. You can do this by calling a member of our sales team, over the Internet via our web site or by the red button on Setanta Sports on your television. Setanta Sports is £9.99 a month with a one off £10 connection fee for all nine channels and a wide variety of sport.

Setanta Sports is no longer a 12 month channel and you can pay monthly. However it is in the terms and conditions that we require 30 days notice of your cancellation. Once you have cancelled your subscription and wish to subscribe again you would be subject to the connection fee. We could accept your notice any time after your first 30 days.

At this time all cancellation requests have to be made in writing to Setanta Sports, PO Box 800, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland, KY2 6WD, or by calling our Customer Services team on the number below. Our cancellation lines are open from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm, Monday to Friday.

Yours sincerely

Vikki Forrester
fatshaft wrote:To: Setanta Customer Services <customerservices>
Sent: Monday, 3 September, 2007 6:19:24 PM

Dear Vikki,

Thank you for replying to my email AFTER I had subscribed, indeed nearly three weeks after I wrote to you.

Unfortunately for Setanta, your operator made it quite clear to me (you record calls I believe?) that there is NO CONNECTION FEE for subsequent connections.

I fully expect that you therefore will not charge me on future rewconnections if I cancel your service.

I look forward to this being confirmed, as sadly I would not have taken your servioce in the first place if the correct terms had been applied.

If this is not possible, I would like a 100% refund of subscription and connection fees already paid and immediate cancellation of my service.

I look forward to a reply in less than 18 days!

Setanta wrote:From: Setanta Customer Services <customerservices>

Sent: Tuesday, 4 September, 2007 1:03:02 PM

cancelations

Dear Mr fatshaft.
Thank you for your e-mail. I can confirm that I cannot accept cancellations via e-mail, all cancellation requests require 30 days notice and must be made in writing to Setanta Sports, PO Box 800, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland, KY2 6WD, or by calling our Customer Services team on the number below. Our cancellation lines are open from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm, Monday to Friday.
tel no:08712003322
yours sincerey Jamie Donaldson
Sent: Tuesday, 4 September, 2007 1:34:41 PM

Dear Jamie,

Can you please re-read my email.

Having sent the original 18 days prior to the reply, I got fed up waiting and phoned CS to order Setanta sports. The operator confirmed that there was a one-off connection fee, and that this was not to be charged if there was any subsequent re-connection.

Finally I got the reply below saying this was incorrect AFTER I had been informed otherwise, AFTER I had ordered and paid for Setanta, and within the email it also states that there is a ONE-OFF connection fee. One-off means exactly that, not a repeat fee every time you re-connect.

Can you therefore confirm that I will not be charged on future reconnections, and that if this is not the case, and you are willing to renege on the information provided by the operator who took my fees, then I wish to cancel my subscription completely, including a FULL REFUND of monies paid to date.

I expect a full reply to the questions contained in this email, and not a general stock template answer.

I look forward to your early reply.
Sent: Thursday, 13 September, 2007 4:30:02 PM

Subject: Fw: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

I have not received a reply to this as yet.

If you prefer to call, you can get me on xxxxx xxxxxx
Sent: Friday, 14 September, 2007 11:53:04 AM

Subject: Fw: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

It has been ten days since I got an auto reply stating I would be contacted within 5 days.

Can you please call me on xxxxx xxxxxx to resolve this issue please?
Sent: Saturday, 22 September, 2007 10:04:31 AM

Hi,

It's now 18 days without a response. Could you please call me on the number provided.

Thanks
Sultana Sports wrote:From: Setanta Customer Services <customerservices>
Sent: Monday, 24 September, 2007 4:22:03 PM

Dear Mr fatshaft

Thank you for your e-mail, please accept my apologies for the delay in response.

I can confirm that cancellation requests cannot be accepted via email, cancellations can be carried out after the first months subscription with a minimum period of 30 days cancellation notice either via telephone by calling the Customer Services team on 08712 003322 between 9am and 9pm, 7 days a week or in writing. All cancellation requests being made in writing are to be sent to the following address:

Setanta Sports
PO Box 800
Kirkcaldy
Fife
Scotland
KY2 6WD

If further information or assistance is required, please call our Customer Services team on the number below. Our lines are open from 8.00 am to midnight, seven days a week.

Yours sincerely

Wendy Falconer
Sent: Tuesday, 25 September, 2007 9:09:19 AM

Subject: **7th E-Mail** - Re: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

Dear Setanta Sports,

This is NOT a cancelation request. You sent me the same standard email before.

I want clarification on my question, as it appears you have signed me up under a false pretense. If you are not holding to the contract I agreed on the phone when connecting, then I want a FULL REFUND of ALL my subscription and connection fees to date.

My emails are all below, however as none of you can read, I will repost here for you.

I look forward to a relevant reply, once again you can call me directly on xxxxx xxxxxx
Sent: Monday, 1 October, 2007 11:55:05 PM

Subject: Fw: **8th E-Mail** - Re: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

Hi,

7 days have passed since my last email without further response. I will wait until Saturday 6th October, if I do not receive a phone call to discuss this mess I will charge back my fees so far as you have clearly breached your own terms and appear to be attempting to claim as many fees as you can before I cancel.

Your service so far has been worse than abysmal.
Sent: Wednesday, 10 October, 2007 4:30:27 PM

Subject: CANCELATION OF SERVICE **9th E-Mail** - Re: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

To Whom It May Concern.

I have today cancelled all payments that may be charged from yourselves, as it appears that no-one is prepared to answer the simple questions I have posed, or even give me the courtesy of a phone call after all the time I have spent calling/trying to call you, and the 8 previous emails which are all listed below.

Please do not provide any further service to my addres, your customer service can only be described as appaling.
Note here that after failing to meet their own five day deadline on just about every occassion so far, they miraculously respond in under 24 hours to this email!
Sultana wrote: From: Setanta Customer Services <customerservices>
Sent: Thursday, 11 October, 2007 9:02:35 AM

Subject: CANCELATION OF SERVICE **9th E-Mail** - Re: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

Dear Mr fatshaft

Thank you for your e-mail and please accept my apologies for the delay in response.

I can confirm that I cannot accept cancellations via e-mail, all cancellation requests require 30 days notice and must be made in writing to Setanta Sports, PO Box 800, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland, KY2 6WD, or by calling our Customer Services team on the number below. Our cancellation lines are open from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm, seven days a week.

If further information or assistance is required, please call our Customer Services team on the number below. Our lines are open from 8.00 am to midnight, seven days a week.

Yours sincerely

Jackie Kettrick
Sent: Thursday, 11 October, 2007 9:11:17 AM

Subject: Re: CANCELATION OF SERVICE **9th E-Mail** - Re: Monthly Fee and Cancellation policy

Hi,

Astonishing, you managed to send a reply in less than 24 hours when I mentioned the "C" word. Well guess what, it's too late. My credit card will no longer accept request for funds from Setanta.

I called your phone lines to sign up, was told there was a one-off connection fee after specifically asking if this was indeed a true one-off,, ie. not repeated in future at any time, so I signed up. When i received a reply to my original email 3 weeks after I sent it, and after I had given up waiting and signed up via your phone support, I am told that what I signed up to in person over the phone is not valid.

If you will not stand by your verbal contract, but rather by your email, and no-one will phone me despite numerous requests, then I will also deal by email, so my previous instructions still stand.

I will also be seeking a full refund of payments already made form my Mastercard provider.

Once again, I thank you for your pathetic service. It is istill as poor as the last time I signed a contract with you about 3 years ago. I won't make the same mistake a third time.
I await their latest response. But have blocked all payments to Setanta on my credit card.

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:01 am

who knows maybe by the end of the season they'll even have shown a Bolton game?
They`ve already shown a Bolton game the UEFA Cup match :roll:
The voices in my head may not be real...but they have some great ideas!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:29 am

Porrohman wrote:who knows maybe by the end of the season they'll even have shown a Bolton game?
They`ve already shown a Bolton game the UEFA Cup match :roll:
learn how to use the quote function :roll:

I am sure despite your sarcastic response, you were aware I was talking about the Premiership :roll:

Porrohman
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Porrohman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:41 am

Ermm no I wasn`t aware that you was banging on about the premiership,hence the remark in the first place :roll:

But thanks for the info on Setanta.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:40 pm

After listening to that dreadful woman on their adverts shouting, they can get stuffed :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:18 pm

I think thats the funniest thing I've read all year.

Fatshaft, I understand you were doing this as a point of principle, but does it really matter?

I agree that being told the wrong information over the phone is annoying.

But personally I'd expect to pay a connection fee every time I connected to the service.

You can understand Setanta's POV as well because they are trying to offer people a "flexible" subscription service, but a subscription service non-the less.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:45 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I think thats the funniest thing I've read all year.

Fatshaft, I understand you were doing this as a point of principle, but does it really matter?

I agree that being told the wrong information over the phone is annoying.

But personally I'd expect to pay a connection fee every time I connected to the service.

You can understand Setanta's POV as well because they are trying to offer people a "flexible" subscription service, but a subscription service non-the less.
It is a bit petty, but there's been two issues lately with different things that have cost me over £1000 because I didn't clarify exactly what the terms of an offer were before I took them up, so now I make a point of knowing exactly what I'm getting no matter what. I am also sick of shoddy service provided by the likes of NTL and this crowd for example. If they're not going to get it right, then they'll work for it.

As it is I seriously would not have taken out the service if I had to pay a reconnection fee every time, as I don;t want to wade through endless old firm matches, and I get enough NEghlish games on Sky. If there were a few Bolton games scheduled then that may have been different, but now they can do one :wink:

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Having run several businesses they aren't offering any sort of service. As is the case with most big corporations these days it's an attitude of "We've got your money, now piss off"

Did I ever mention my spat with PC World? :mrgreen:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:23 pm

fatshaft wrote:It is a bit petty, but there's been two issues lately with different things that have cost me over £1000 because I didn't clarify exactly what the terms of an offer were before I took them up, so now I make a point of knowing exactly what I'm getting no matter what.
Clearly not, as you subscribed before they answered your query. It's your own fault.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:25 pm

two things - whatever she said in the call is basically irelevant, they're not obliged to offer those terms.
Secondly - yes it's a one -off connection fee when you connect, the next time you connect.i.e new contract, you are charged just the once.

And Lennon raises the killer blow.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:40 pm

If the dreadful woman on their adverts is not enough to put you off, be aware that the dreadful customer service and the poor quality commentary and picture quality they provide.

They must have paid Virgin Media a hell of a lot of money to let them provide their sports news service.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:38 pm

finlayson wrote:If the dreadful woman on their adverts is not enough to put you off, be aware that the dreadful customer service and the poor quality commentary and picture quality they provide.

They must have paid Virgin Media a hell of a lot of money to let them provide their sports news service.
#

you are kidding???

Thaila Zucchi, dreadful?

If you want to name ads that should put you off using a company - phones4u- "phones 4 inbred retards"

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

scottishlad
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scottishlad » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Ive had no problem with shitanta they provide a good service free of charge.
"It's the carrot at the end of the rainbow"

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:57 pm

scottishlad wrote:Ive had no problem with shitanta they provide a good service free of charge.
aye, who wants to pay to watch scotch football?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:02 pm

scottishlad wrote:Ive had no problem with shitanta they provide a good service free of charge.
I thought that it was £10:00 a month or so?! :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Free with the XL package on Virgin Media.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:36 am

Raven wrote:After listening to that dreadful woman on their adverts shouting, they can get stuffed :)
She's fair fit though

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Daxter wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Free with the XL package on Virgin Media.
It isn't actually free though is it when you think about!

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:45 pm

Should have figured out the Chief Exec's email address and sent it directly to them, threatening to go to the press. Usually get someone with a brain to help you.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:46 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Raven wrote:After listening to that dreadful woman on their adverts shouting, they can get stuffed :)
She's fair fit though
correct