Best opening line to a song?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:26 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:
David Lee's Hair wrote:Yep, although the original and not the god forsaken mess GnR made of it!
Agreed, love G'n'R but not their cover versions. 'Knockin on heavens door' is pure sh*t. Even Dylan sings it better! :mrgreen:
Watch it!!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Aw come on. He sounds like a cat being strangled.
Who, Dylan or Rose? Dylan always sounds like a hoover to me. Great lyricist and all, but like Springsteen, if his words were as flat as his music you'd never have heard of him.
No-one signs a Dylan song as well as Dylan.

He has a style, some people don't like it.

But to call his music "flat" is just plain insulting and ignorant. Christ. I don't think anyone would pretend Dylan has the greatest male solo voice ever, but to claim he is an awful singer is pretty ludicrous.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:No-one signs a Dylan song as well as Dylan.

But to call his music "flat" is just plain insulting and ignorant. Christ. I don't think anyone would pretend Dylan has the greatest male solo voice ever, but to claim he is an awful singer is pretty ludicrous.
Yes, ludicrous, from the Latin for 'playful'. You seem to get awfully upset if anyone has a view which doesn't fit with yours, and often resort to words like "wrong" and "ignorant", which are odd things to use when discussing opinion rather than fact. It's not a personal slight, and you'll note I praised Dylan's lyricism. Time to tether the high horse, honcho.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:43 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:No-one signs a Dylan song as well as Dylan.

Yes, ludicrous, from the Latin for 'playful'. You seem to get awfully upset if anyone has a view which doesn't fit with yours, and often resort to words like "wrong" and "ignorant", which are odd things to use when discussing opinion rather than fact. It's not a personal slight, and you'll note I praised Dylan's lyricism. Time to tether the high horse, honcho.
Maybe but you did just say Dylan sounded like a hoover! Which riled me. I apologise.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Maybe but you did just say Dylan sounded like a hoover! Which riled me. I apologise.
"like a hoover to me" :mrgreen:

Twas meant more as a joke than a poke. No offence taken or need to apologise, I'm just worried that you're building up ulcers! :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Maybe but you did just say Dylan sounded like a hoover! Which riled me. I apologise.
"like a hoover to me" :mrgreen:

Twas meant more as a joke than a poke. No offence taken or need to apologise, I'm just worried that you're building up ulcers! :wink:
Nah I just say what I feel.

Thing is many people try to copy Dylans singing style and fail miserably. The gallagher brothers for instance. They always sound like they are singing through their nose. Mind I do my very best to not listen!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:54 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Thing is many people try to copy Dylans singing style and fail miserably. The gallagher brothers for instance. They always sound like they are singing through their nose. Mind I do my very best to not listen!
I've never heard it said that Liam and Noel are aping the Bob. I always took their singing voices (particularly Liam's) as extensions of that peculiarly nasal Manc accent. Liam's singing voice is essentially Ian Brown's but a lot nearer the tune (and before I get death threats for dissing another artist, I should point out that the Stone Roses are well up there among my favourite bands...)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Thing is many people try to copy Dylans singing style and fail miserably. The gallagher brothers for instance. They always sound like they are singing through their nose. Mind I do my very best to not listen!
I've never heard it said that Liam and Noel are aping the Bob. I always took their singing voices (particularly Liam's) as extensions of that peculiarly nasal Manc accent. Liam's singing voice is essentially Ian Brown's but a lot nearer the tune (and before I get death threats for dissing another artist, I should point out that the Stone Roses are well up there among my favourite bands...)
I think that there is a large element in the Gallaghers voices that are trying to sing a bit like Bob Dylan. They also try to act like him. Again quite embarrassingly. Mind lets face it Dylan is the inspiration for the majority of British music as without him the Beatles would have been "just another pop group".

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:03 pm

I'm with BWFCi here.

Not necessarily re: the Gallaghers but, Dylans voice is fantastically bad, if that makes sense :?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
I've never heard it said that Liam and Noel are aping the Bob. I always took their singing voices (particularly Liam's) as extensions of that peculiarly nasal Manc accent. Liam's singing voice is essentially Ian Brown's but a lot nearer the tune...
I think that there is a large element in the Gallaghers voices that are trying to sing a bit like Bob Dylan. They also try to act like him. Again quite embarrassingly. Mind lets face it Dylan is the inspiration for the majority of British music as without him the Beatles would have been "just another pop group".
True, but that's taking it back as far as you want to and no further. Just as Lennon and Harrison in particular acknowledged their debt to Dylan, Bob himself noted his own influences; by that rationale, can the blame for Just Jack be placed with Woody Guthrie?

I'm not convinced that Oasis want to sound or act like Dylan; if they're trying to, they're doing it all wrong, as Bob tends toward the enigmatic sound-bite rather than the energetic ear-bite. There's no doubt that Liam thinks he's Lennon, but after wearing out his Weller infatuation Noel seems quite content being himself.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:56 pm

Didn't mean my comment to upset you, BWFCi. I just personally feel Dylan's a better Songwriter than singer.

Same could be said for Dolly Parton, or Johnny Cash. Absolutely fantastic songwriters, but sometimes their songs are improved by (technically) better singers.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:59 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:Didn't mean my comment to upset you, BWFCi. I just personally feel Dylan's a better Songwriter than singer.

Same could be said for Dolly Parton, or Johnny Cash. Absolutely fantastic songwriters, but sometimes their songs are improved by (technically) better singers.
I don't think I've heard a Dylan song sang by anyone else that I preferred over the Dylan own version.

I accept he isn't "the greatest technical singer" BUT for me thats half the appeal.

Never been a massive fan of "overpolished" voices.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:Didn't mean my comment to upset you, BWFCi. I just personally feel Dylan's a better Songwriter than singer.

I don't think I've heard a Dylan song sang by anyone else that I preferred over the Dylan own version.

I accept he isn't "the greatest technical singer" BUT for me thats half the appeal.

Nor I, but as a (former) singer myself, I find Dylan hard on the ear. But then, I love Johnny Cash, the Ramones and Motley Crue :conf:

Not forgetting W.Axl Rose, who started all this off!

Isn't it a great world to live in? :wink:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

One thats not sang better (cos you cant understand him) but overall sounds better IMO is Ministry's version of Lay Lady Lay - it just sounds fooking great. I was never that big a fan of the original.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 am

I wanted to add this one in, remembered it last night.

Ladies you're damn right You can't read a man's mind
We're living in two tribes And heading for war
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:09 pm

You were up all night on t’internet downloading naughty films
But there’s one vital thing you didn’t do
A momentary lapse of concentration left a gap
And now your whole hard drive is up the wall

:cool:

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:29 pm

jmjhb wrote:You were up all night on t’internet downloading naughty films

Chippy tea??? :mrgreen:

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:34 pm

Gertie wrote:

The Firewall Song!

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:38 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Gertie wrote:

The Firewall Song!
Yup download one for free.

In fact, I can't keep a straightface when confronted with shopmobility scooters now. :twisted:

SuperWhiteWarrior
Promising
Promising

Post by SuperWhiteWarrior » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:56 pm

This is just one from to of my head:

Hey, hey mama said the way you move,
Gon' make you sweat, gon' make you groove.

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog
Where The One And Only Wanderers

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:21 am

Now let me welcome everybody to the Wild Wild West,
As state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness.