US Elections

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:55 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
americantrotter wrote:Pure speculation alone for me would be that he worships at the feet of Bill. Like a lot of us do.
No, AT, tell me you don't...

Anyway, which of Obama and Clinton do you think would stand the greater chance of winning a presidential election? I get the impression, without following things all that closely, that Hilary is seen by the Republicans as being the more beatable....
I am a massive liberal, and I loved Bill Clinton. I became a US citizen so that I could vote for him in 96.

And people are right, there are many different Americas. It's just that the religous nice people among us get out and vote the most.

SuperWhiteWarrior
Promising
Promising

Post by SuperWhiteWarrior » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:00 pm

It be great if Barack Obama became president. That would piss alot of rednecks off!!!
Where The One And Only Wanderers

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:03 pm

SuperWhiteWarrior wrote:It be great if Barack Obama became president. That would piss alot of rednecks off!!!
So would a woman I expect.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
SuperWhiteWarrior wrote:It be great if Barack Obama became president. That would piss alot of rednecks off!!!
Not least THAT woman.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:50 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Not least THAT woman.
She'll never win. In the South she is less popular than Martin Luther King at a Klan rally.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:56 pm

americantrotter wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Not least THAT woman.
She'll never win. In the South she is less popular than Martin Luther King at a Klan rally.
Never win the democratic nomination or never win the presidency?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:18 pm

Presidency. She can definitely win the Party.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:26 pm

americantrotter wrote:Presidency. She can definitely win the Party.
Then this may depend on a number of factors, including her selection of running mate. It is generally believed that America is more ready to accept a woman president than a black one. She may not be as popular in the South as Obama (I don't know), but she would be going against a Republican who may be less popular. The Republicans won the South and middle of the country last time - but in the end it came down to Ohio. Bush's first term was stolen on hanging chads in Florida. I doubt it will be this close in 2008. Then again I thought the Patriots would beat the spread.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:40 pm

Kerry and Gore both uswed that theory and lost. It's too hard to give away half the country. We should be exploiting their complete lack of crdeibility, niot trying to skate by with our worst, two faced, divisive, career politician.

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by libreg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:27 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
libreg wrote:My initial thought is why so many of you care about the US elections?

But anyhow, this is my priority list:
If Obama wins, I'll be very, very happy.
If Clinton wins, I'd be content.
If any other Democrat wins, fine.
If a republican wins, I will cry.
If Mike Huckabee wins, I will jump of a cliff. I don't want the USA to turn into Jesus land.
Doesn't your president talk to god?

Isn't one of your mottos 'in god we trust'?

Isn't creationism still taught in some schools (and indeed, Darwinism banned in others?)

Forgive me, but the impression I got of you lot over the pond is that you were a bunch of god botherers, a frankly frightening thought in the country with the largest most sophisticated military machine the world has ever seen. Forget Jihad, just don't upset the preachers on 'pay-per-view god tv'. :help:

Am I wrong? :conf:
Eh, you're absolutely right. I'm atheist, but I don't really care about our current condition when it comes to religion. I just ignore it, don't give a ****, and live with it. I just don't want it to turn worse, thats all.

I'll admit, a TON of Americans are just pure idiots. They are completely lost when it concerns politics, or anything intelligent for that matter. People would rather vote for a president that is against abortion, against gay marriage, and heavily religious (ex: rednecks, many people in the "bible belt" states) than REAL issues, like foreign policies and even DOMESTIC policies. It's quite ridiculous, but I somehow still call myself an American.
Yeah.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:39 am

I'm not going to comprehend the thought that Huckabee will get the nomination, never midn office, as I will lose the already little faith in American's i already have.

Google/Twitter has Clinton and Obama having seven states each...gonna be neck and neck. California result will be interesting.

http://maps.google.com/maps/mpl?moduleu ... cision2008
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:15 am

Exit polls suggesting Obama is down by 6 points in California. Of course we won't know for sure for a while.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:50 am

Clinton has 582 delegates to Obama's 562. Gonna be close.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:57 am

When are these shenanigans over?

Would Hilary make Obama her vice-presidential running mate, and vice-versa?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:59 am

Verbal wrote:Clinton has 582 delegates to Obama's 562. Gonna be close.
Showing a larger gap on CNN if you count the "super delegates" - Clinton 825, Obama 732, but yes it does look like it's still going to be close.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Showing a larger gap on CNN if you count the "super delegates" - Clinton 825, Obama 732, but yes it does look like it's still going to be close.
WTF is a super delegate? Whats so super about a tuesday anyway?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:01 pm

fatshaft wrote:When are these shenanigans over?
I think there's about a year to go yet.
Businesswoman of the year.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:13 pm

The Presedential election is in November, but I don't know when the primaries will be wrapped up (obviously before then though).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:22 pm

Think the party "Conferences" are August. Republicans will probably be sorted out way before then, as they use Winner takes all. Democrats could come down to the Conference to "Elect" their delegate, but I suspect will be clearer after Texas. Just my two pennorth.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:33 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
WTF is a super delegate? Whats so super about a tuesday anyway?
Hmmm I could be wrong about some of this, but I believe within the Democrats nomination process, on a state by state bases, delegates are "awarded to a candidate based on their "share of the vote" - So state X has 100 delegates, Obama polls 50%, Clinton polls 50% they get 50 each. Super Delegates aren't attached to a particular state for the purposes of the nomination process, so you can win them over by offering sexual favors, bribes and/or use illegal force to get them to vote for you.

Super Tuesday, I believe came to some prominence in the 80's originally, States did their own thing wrt to the election process, Sometime in the 80's, a group of Southern states all decided to go on the same day with the nomination process (for Bush Snr iirc who hails from Tx) to give him a boost in the polls all at the same time. Since then other States have added and run their elections on the same day. There were that many this time around - 20 something that some people re-christened it Super Duper Tuesday.