Who is your idol?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Super_Kevin_Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Who is your idol?

Post by Super_Kevin_Davies » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:01 pm

I was just wondering about this as I was lucky enough to meet my idol yesterday and was curious to know the idols of other TW members whom they would like to meet (or have met)?!

And what would you say to that person? It's a funny situation being faced with 30 seconds with which to speak to your idol and you can either turn to mush and say nothing at all, or babble rubbish!!!

I just talked about frogs with my idol..... :mrgreen:
:pray:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Tiger Woods

I'm really not sure what I would say to him, given the opportunity. I'm working in the locker room at the Open at Birkdale this summer, so maybe I'll find out....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:16 pm

He doesn't look much like #14 when you get close.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:18 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Tiger Woods

I'm really not sure what I would say to him, given the opportunity. I'm working in the locker room at the Open at Birkdale this summer, so maybe I'll find out....
I sort of met him at Royal Montreal when he sliced into the woods near me. He was only a couple of yards away, but his caddy told us to shut up and enjoy the moment (which we did). Actually I usually enjoy it when someone else slices into the woods.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I sort of met him at Royal Montreal when he sliced into the woods near me. He was only a couple of yards away, but his caddy told us to shut up and enjoy the moment (which we did). Actually I usually enjoy it when someone else slices into the woods.
I've been that close on a number of occasions, often for very similar reasons. I've also spoken with both his mother, and his wife. :stalker:

But actually shaking his hand and having a few words would be a big thing for me.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:21 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I was in the Clubhouse for the last Ryder Cup at the Belfrey. Pretty much the same situation - generally told to STFU if you got within 500 miles of him (and that was before and after the round). Was really the only player on either side that happened with. Miserable bastard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Miserable bastard.
Not true, but I haven't got the appetite for that discussion before I go to bed for the very early flight tomorrow.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:26 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Not true, but I haven't got the appetite for that discussion before I go to bed for the very early flight tomorrow.
Forgot - IMO ;-) good flight tomorrow mate :-)

Rated R Superstar
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rated R Superstar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:40 pm

I met Robert Englund a couple of years back. I think I just said hello and shook his hand, my girlfriend had a conversation with him about the muffin he was eating. :?

I was lucky enough to meet and photograph Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster when they played in Bolton last year. They were really nice guys.
Don't call it a comeback

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:04 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

I was in the Clubhouse for the last Ryder Cup at the Belfrey. Pretty much the same situation - generally told to STFU if you got within 500 miles of him (and that was before and after the round). Was really the only player on either side that happened with. Miserable bastard.
I went to school with two useful golfers - Malcolm Gregson and Brian Barnes. I think Brian won the senior British Open not that long ago. He was always good for a drink and a quick fag, but many pros are a bit standoffish. Sorry, PB, but I've heard Tiger can be too. Still, when everyone wants to shake your hand and say you the man, I suppose I can hardly blame him.

50sQuiff
Reliable
Reliable

Post by 50sQuiff » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:18 am

I spent Monday evening drinking in Copenhagen with Daniel Negreanu. He's an icon for anyone that's ever played or watched poker and a real gent too.
“Crime, once exposed, has no refuge but in audacity” - Tacitus

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:00 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Have to disagree there, everything I've read says he avoids the public at all costs.

As for an idol, I don't really have one, although there'd be tons of people it would be fascinating to meet, I suppose I'd especially like to "meet" Kylie :wink:

screech powers
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by screech powers » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:37 am

My idol is Billy-Joe Armstrong of Green Day fame . I think i would just be in awe of his presence if i were ever to be in his company.

He does a bit in the show where he invites 3 members of the audience who can play the instruments to come on stage , he then teaches them the chords to play and they play a song ( normally Knowledge ) , then the guy who does the guitar gets to keep it !!! If that were ever to happen to me , i dont think it could be topped by anything!!!
Life is not like a box of chocolates , it is infact , like a box of chuck norris roundhouse kicking you in the face. And if you recieve a box of chuck norris , you always know what your gonna get.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:17 pm

Shouldnt you (SKD) be putting a new picture up in the caption comp since you won it about 3 months ago, instead of meithering TV celebrities? :D

In answer to your question I can't think of anybody living who would be my idol. Ernest Shackleton, if we're also talking about folk who are long since dead.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Music;
Elvis, Freddie Mercury.

Motor Sport;
Schmaccher, Agostini

Football;
The Fonz, J Byrom

Politics;
Thatcher (and i never vote for that lot)

to name a few

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:09 pm

eddie vedder and theo epstein

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:59 pm

I once met Henrik Pedersen.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Luna wrote:I once met Henrik Pedersen.
When were you in Seattle?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:22 pm

I interviewed a certain S. Allardyce a few times, mostly over the phone but once in person for two hours. It worried me slightly - they say you shouldn't meet your heroes - but he didn't disappoint.

I was asked to interview Nat Lofthouse, but he wouldn't without payment (which I wasn't authorised to give). I can see his point of view, but I can't deny it was a disappointment not to speak to him.

Musically, Lennon, Weller and Harrison have been idols, but two are now dead and one effectively artistically so. I wouldn't say he's an idol, but I find Noel (not Liam) Gallagher an interesting bloke and would like to buy him a pint.

I've also interviewed Clive James, probably the closest I have to a writing hero, over the phone. He was also incredibly nice; perhaps aware of my nerves, he asked during a clunking gap between questions "how am I doing?"...

Oh and for the record (I respect but don't idolise them), Ruud Gullit and Martin Johnson are also very polished interviewees and pleasant chaps.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Who is your idol?

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Super_Kevin_Davies wrote:I was just wondering about this as I was lucky enough to meet my idol yesterday and was curious to know the idols of other TW members whom they would like to meet (or have met)?!

And what would you say to that person? It's a funny situation being faced with 30 seconds with which to speak to your idol and you can either turn to mush and say nothing at all, or babble rubbish!!!

I just talked about frogs with my idol..... :mrgreen:
:pray:
W.H Smith is your idol SKD?

Coat on and gone.. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?