Downloading Music

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Downloading Music

Post by Raven » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:29 pm

Whats the best legal site to use, itunes now use a funny format I can't convert and the Sony place has shut!

Don't mind paying per track but not per month etc all i want to do is download mp3 formatted music.

Not interested in file sharing either

Cheers again

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:33 pm

you didn't say cheers the first time.

mp3.com.ru used to be good.

love those ruskies

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:35 pm

Cor blimey. This is all new to me. I've just downloaded Charlatans' new album but I'm fecked if I know how to get it from individual tracks in Real Player to CD! :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:39 pm

Meant cheers cos its the second recent question :)

You put your card details on that russian site?

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:40 pm

yeah, never had any trouble with it.

their library isn't great though, might be worth checking they've got what you want before you commit.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Cor blimey. This is all new to me. I've just downloaded Charlatans' new album but I'm fecked if I know how to get it from individual tracks in Real Player to CD! :conf:
Do you have a CD burning facility? Normally you select tracks into a library section then hit the "burn CD" tab at the top and load a blank into the disc player.

Edit, that's with Windows Media player. Apologies.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:45 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Cor blimey. This is all new to me. I've just downloaded Charlatans' new album but I'm fecked if I know how to get it from individual tracks in Real Player to CD! :conf:
Do you have a CD burning facility? Normally you select tracks into a library section then hit the "burn CD" tab at the top and load a blank into the disc player.

You can select the tracks you want from the directory listing. Right click and select send to --> whatever drive letter is your CD writer. This should open them up in WMP...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

You can select the tracks you want from the directory listing. Right click and select send to --> whatever drive letter is your CD writer. This should open them up in WMP...
I have another system called Power2Go, it's a tower on my Desktop with four sections. You just click a file and drag it across, Documents, Videos, CD tracks to another CD or Audio files. Pretty usefull. I used Limewire a lot on my other pc and it repaid me by installing a corrupt file, ie virus.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:00 pm

Limewire is riddled with spyware and bugs, steer well clear.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Try Frostwire. It's the opensource version of Limewire and as far as I can tell dowsn't have any Spyware in it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Try Frostwire. It's the opensource version of Limewire and as far as I can tell dowsn't have any Spyware in it.
I might try it Worthy, but after Limewire it would be with the same caution as dipping a foot in sulphuric acid. :(

Muse
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:12 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Try Frostwire. It's the opensource version of Limewire and as far as I can tell dowsn't have any Spyware in it.
I might try it Worthy, but after Limewire it would be with the same caution as dipping a foot in sulphuric acid. :(
Or use torrent software, its quicker and safer plus there are loads of sites around that you can search through for just about anything.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:17 pm

mininova.org is good for albums

Muse
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Muse » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Batman wrote:mininova.org is good for albums
Yeah it is alright or piratebay.org , torrentz.com for music. Superfundo.org for films and series (mainly ripper axxo for top quality films) also rlslog.net is good for music/films/games/software.

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:39 am

they're also illegal, i think raven wanted legal sites

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:14 pm

runningonbravado wrote:they're also illegal, i think raven wanted legal sites
warprecords's bleep.com ? has no DRM

amazon might have one (poss no DRM)

that juno record shop ?

there was one called whippit or whippet or (spelling?).

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:20 pm

Isn't Tesco's digital download service DRM free?

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:50 pm

FD wrote:Isn't Tesco's digital download service DRM free?
It wasn't the last time I tried it - haven't been back since.

Here's the links for some of the ones a1 suggested:

http://www.juno.co.uk/
http://www.wippit.com/

I use this one a bit:

http://www.boomkat.com

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:33 pm

Thanks for the info, could not find an mp3 site that made sense so have given up, twas not for me anyway, I don't even have an mp3/4 whatever player :)

The ladies will have to sort it themselves ;)

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:27 pm

Raven wrote:Thanks for the info, could not find an mp3 site that made sense so have given up, twas not for me anyway, I don't even have an mp3/4 whatever player :)

The ladies will have to sort it themselves ;)
convert cds into mp3s (or if theyre mp4/acc files 'transcode' them into mp3s) using itunes/wmp or LAME .. if they aint drm-ed up.

s'all piss. it works. just takes a bit.. and you might need to read the manual ..

they usually release a new firmware that lets old players play new file formats (like acc/mp4) if they have - thats the 'best' way to solve yr problem .