New Golf Season - The Majors

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

New Golf Season - The Majors

Post by fatshaft » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:26 am

So the azaleas are ready to bloom, and the top guns are heading for Augusta.

What's your hopes and predictions for the big 4 this season?

For me I'd love to see Garcia break his duck, and as I'll be at Birkdale for the Open, I'd love Monty to give it a go, but if he's his usual self, another Garcia charge like he had at Hoylake would be a good second best.

2008 Predictions:

Head says

Masters - Goosen
US Open - Tiger
Open - Tiger
USPGA - Tiger

Heart wants

Masters - Rose
US Open - Garcia
Open - Monty (or Garcia if Monty is predictably poor)
USPGA - Darren Clarke

(and a bump for the fantasy golf league http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... hp?t=13179 )
Last edited by fatshaft on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:51 am

I've been given special Open visiting rights during honeymoon period. My future wife is wonderful.

Don't think this season will be the major cakewalk many are expecting for Tiger, though he'll bag a couple.

Masters: Tiger ought to win, though a sneaking suspicion suggests Ernie Els will be up for this... with Garcia having a pop as well.
US Open: Tiger definitely to grab this one, Torrey Pines he knows like the back of his hand.
Open: I suspect Justin Rose will finish the job he started in 1998 here. He should peak nicely for it. In fact, I reckon there could be big British challenge here.
USPGA: usually good for a shock, this - so Boo Weekley's the choice!

And don't forget... the Ryder Cup, which is really the fifth major. Think we'll be up against it and have a tied match.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:35 pm

I would love Lee Westwood to grab a major this year. Can't see beyond Tiger though.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:00 pm

haha Boo Weekley, My Hero.

I think Tiger is a cert for the U.S. Open and the PGA.

The Open and the Masters I'm not so sure about.
I think a 'name' will win the Masters though, not like Zach Johnson last year.
Hopefully a couple of European Tour players will prevail like last year.

Masters: Henrik Stenson
U.S. Open: Woods
Open: Adam Scott
PGA: Woods

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:48 pm

me n my mates are having a bet on the old "decent enough to win the masters but probably wont" players. whoever does best wins the pot

so far i'm all over Podraig Harrington, one mate has plumped for Jim Furyk, and another has gone for Spanish Cigar smoker Jiminez....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:33 pm

runningonbravado wrote:me n my mates are having a bet on the old "decent enough to win the masters but probably wont" players. whoever does best wins the pot

so far i'm all over Podraig Harrington, one mate has plumped for Jim Furyk, and another has gone for Spanish Cigar smoker Jiminez....
Don't write Jimenez off. He's a steady player and an experienced pro. Wouldn't surprise me to see him up there in a few.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:35 pm

http://bitcast-d.bitgravity.com/justint ... gsgorveatt if anyone's bored and fancies a bit of golf...

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:30 pm

Bloody hell, I wouldn't put money on a golf tourney any more than I would on a horse. There are too many variables for mine: weather, lucky bounce, unlucky lie etc..

I'd like to see three Aussies in the top ten of those competitions - probably Ogilvie, Scott and, well, then take your pick. We've had little success since the days of Kel Nagle and Peter Thomson so I'd like the locals to make some sort of mark on the international scene.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:25 am

Dujon wrote:Bloody hell, I wouldn't put money on a golf tourney any more than I would on a horse. There are too many variables for mine: weather, lucky bounce, unlucky lie etc..

I'd like to see three Aussies in the top ten of those competitions - probably Ogilvie, Scott and, well, then take your pick. We've had little success since the days of Kel Nagle and Peter Thomson so I'd like the locals to make some sort of mark on the international scene.
You must be forgetting Graham, Norman, Grady, Baker-Finch & Ogilvie then :mrgreen: :wink:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:36 pm

No, not really, fatshaft. Each of those players is/was top drawer for a while. Norman was class but was unlucky or let the pressure get to him too often for my liking. Australia has had nothing like Thomson (5 British Opens, if memory serves) and Nagle - both playing at the same time - since that late fifties and early sixties era.

I used to enjoy watching Baker-Finch, who also came across as a 'good bloke', and was saddened when he gave away the game. It's terrible what the 'yips' can do to you. Then again I also liked Roger Davis and Craig Parry. They both are great golfers but I don't think either tried on the international scene (though I could be wrong) preferring to compete in the local competitions. Davis usually played in plus-fours and had his name embroidered on or woven into his socks.

As far as egos go, Norman and Davis have got to be up there with the best. Current player Aaron Baddely is also up there - mainly because after his two Australian Open wins he (or his backers) carried on like boxing promoters. At one stage it was mooted that shares would be sold to investors, dividends to be paid on his earnings. I don't know whether it happened.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:49 pm

Dujon wrote:No, not really, fatshaft. Each of those players is/was top drawer for a while. Norman was class but was unlucky or let the pressure get to him too often for my liking. Australia has had nothing like Thomson (5 British Opens, if memory serves) and Nagle - both playing at the same time - since that late fifties and early sixties era.

I used to enjoy watching Baker-Finch, who also came across as a 'good bloke', and was saddened when he gave away the game. It's terrible what the 'yips' can do to you. Then again I also liked Roger Davis and Craig Parry. They both are great golfers but I don't think either tried on the international scene (though I could be wrong) preferring to compete in the local competitions. Davis usually played in plus-fours and had his name embroidered on or woven into his socks.

As far as egos go, Norman and Davis have got to be up there with the best. Current player Aaron Baddely is also up there - mainly because after his two Australian Open wins he (or his backers) carried on like boxing promoters. At one stage it was mooted that shares would be sold to investors, dividends to be paid on his earnings. I don't know whether it happened.
Remember Nagle and Peter Thompson well, mainly Thompson. Great golfer and well-liked by everyone. Probably because of the Commonwealth angle Brits treated Aussies almost as their own. Same with Gary Player of South Africa, another brilliant golfer and nice guy. Remember well his historic match with Tony Lima where he was something like eight down with nine to play and won. That really was the great escape. Great era that. I still have a Dunlop Roberto de Vicenzo driver to this day.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New Golf Season - The Majors

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:00 am

Masters - Woods
US Open - Els
Open - Donald 8)
USPGA - Woods
May the bridges I burn light your way

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:13 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Dujon wrote:No, not really, fatshaft. Each of those players is/was top drawer for a while. Norman was class but was unlucky or let the pressure get to him too often for my liking. Australia has had nothing like Thomson (5 British Opens, if memory serves) and Nagle - both playing at the same time - since that late fifties and early sixties era.

Remember Nagle and Peter Thompson well, mainly Thompson. Great golfer and well-liked by everyone. Probably because of the Commonwealth angle Brits treated Aussies almost as their own. Same with Gary Player of South Africa, another brilliant golfer and nice guy. Remember well his historic match with Tony Lima where he was something like eight down with nine to play and won. That really was the great escape. Great era that. I still have a Dunlop Roberto de Vicenzo driver to this day.
For me, David Grahams' final round to win the US open was the best, most commanding round to win a major that I have ever seen.

His iron play was such that virtually every putt he had was uphill from holeable distance. (Yes - In a US open - incredible)

An absolute masterclass - shame he never repeated it.

And that puts him on a par with Nagle, at least.

And what about Steve Elkington - or have you disowned him for playing all his golf in the states?

FWIW - the Official US open History seems to agree with me about Graham

" Graham is the first foreign-born champion since Jacklin. Graham's final round 67, three under par, was one of the finest ever played in the Open. It brought him from three strokes behind 54-hole leader George Burns when the fourth round began to three strokes ahead when the Championship ended"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm liking the look of Stricker 66-1, Rose 40-1 or Scott as an each way effort.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:33 pm

bw@bw wrote: For me, David Grahams' final round to win the US open was the best, most commanding round to win a major that I have ever seen.

And what about Steve Elkington - or have you disowned him for playing all his golf in the states?
Much to my chagrin bw@bw I had forgotten Graham and Elks. Mind you I wasn't trying to make up a comprehensive list. You'll note that I didn't mention Allenby or Appleby - two quite competent Aussies. There is no doubt that this country has produced some very good golfers, just none that have really scaled the heights (I'm thinking of Palmer, Arnold, Woods, Player and their ilk) for some time. Norman von Nida might be remembered by many; he played before and after WWII, which left a big hole in his career. Unfortunately he was forced to retire from the game due to eye problems. He did though move into coaching - his pupils included such luminaries as Player, Thomson and Graham. Sadly he died in May last year.

Anyway, I'm dragging this thread off its intended path - sorry - I'll shut up now. :)

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:27 pm

Just so that we have covered several bases - and since there is no fun backing even money favourites

Our family fivers have gone on

Me - KJ Choi and Westwood

Golf mad son -- Adam Scott and Luke Donald

Hope we get a run for our money

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:39 pm

I have got to turn away when Jim Furik swings a golf club. Just when you think you have a mental picure, from watching the pros, to cure all your faults, along comes the weirdest looping dipping wallop in professional golf. Trouble is, he always hits what he's aiming at and is a damn good golfer...........help.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I have got to turn away when Jim Furik swings a golf club. Just when you think you have a mental picure, from watching the pros, to cure all your faults, along comes the weirdest looping dipping wallop in professional golf. Trouble is, he always hits what he's aiming at and is a damn good golfer...........help.
golf's oldest saying -

it's not how, it's how many.

Furyk is living proof

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:06 pm

It's all about Stephen Ames' smile. His gnashers could brighten up any day!

Nice to see my Rose prediction looking good after day 1!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:08 pm

jimbo wrote:It's all about Stephen Ames' smile. His gnashers could brighten up any day!

Nice to see my Rose prediction looking good after day 1!
Most Canadians (and all Canadiens) smile at Stanley Cup playoff time (outside of Toronto of course).
Three Brits in the top ten is impressive on the first day.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.