What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 am

jonnycooper wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:in stark contrast to La La Land, i noticed I Daniel Blake was finally 'available' to watch last night. been desperate to see it so i stopped what i was doing and stuck it on.

In a word, grim! classic Ken Loach, masterclass in acting, political, powerful, moving with a tiny dash of laughs. top film. no anamorphic colour palettes or huge dance numbers on an LA flyover here!
Absolutely nailed it there, General. I believe that the Foodbank scene even had one 50 year old, 6'2" 100 Kg bloke blubbing in the cinema. ;)
Watched this last night!! Have to agree,foodbank scene is indeed upsetting! Another Ken Loach masterpiece !
The only part of it that I found to be poor was the mass gathering of supportive types after he'd painted on the wall. which, to steal a General-ism, was much like a huge dance number on an LA flyover.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:06 pm

Went to watch the stage version of the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime on Saturday.

Absolutely fantastic. Wasn't sure the book would translate but they've done a fantastic job. Moving, funny, incredible spectacle, the set is fab. It finishes in London in June before going on tour. 10/10 reccomend.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:18 pm

All six episodes of Fleabag on iplayer in one go. very very funny!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Just watched the first of the new series of Inside No. 9. Absolute 4ucking genius, as you'd expect!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:52 am

what about that balls up at the oscars!? :mrgreen: Didn't really enjoy Moonlight personally, found it a bit slow and engaging. but i think i may have been a bit distracted at the time so will give it another go... hopefully now they will show it a few more cinemas!

watched John Wick last night, never bothered with it before, not really my cuppa tea but read a lot of good stuff about it and the sequel i gave it a go - bloody good fun!! can go see the 2nd one now....

great to have Inside No 9 back too!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:26 am

General Mannerheim wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:52 am
what about that balls up at the oscars!? :mrgreen: Didn't really enjoy Moonlight personally, found it a bit slow and engaging. but i think i may have been a bit distracted at the time so will give it another go... hopefully now they will show it a few more cinemas!

watched John Wick last night, never bothered with it before, not really my cuppa tea but read a lot of good stuff about it and the sequel i gave it a go - bloody good fun!! can go see the 2nd one now....

great to have Inside No 9 back too!!
Thought it was better than many in the genre...Fairly impressive corpse count too. :-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Latest Inside No.9 - absolute class. Love a cryptic crossword. I don't think they've made one yet that's even as bad as "average".

Ps. GM, Fleabag is fantastic! Thought I'd finally found a comedy the girl would like. No.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:45 am

Last night, re-watched Trainspotting then bazzed it down to Cineworld to watch Trainspotting 2. I can't remember the last time I made such fantastic use of a Thursday evening. Well done, me :)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:07 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:39 pm
Latest Inside No.9 - absolute class. Love a cryptic crossword. I don't think they've made one yet that's even as bad as "average".

Ps. GM, Fleabag is fantastic! Thought I'd finally found a comedy the girl would like. No.
Was a good one. Not overly impressed with week before. Still the funniest one I've seen was in S1, a quiet night in.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:59 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:07 am
Prufrock wrote:

Was a good one. Not overly impressed with week before. Still the funniest one I've seen was in S1, a quiet night in.
Yet to see a baddun. Superb stuff. I thought that 'The Bill' was also excellent. You just feel uncomfortable around anything that involves settling a bill, you skin-flinting c*nt. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:52 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:59 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:07 am
Prufrock wrote:

Yet to see a baddun. Superb stuff. I thought that 'The Bill' was also excellent. You just feel uncomfortable around anything that involves settling a bill, you skin-flinting c*nt. :D
I'm just going to call the au pair.

Oh and "wetter than a nun's cucumber"... :lol: :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:02 pm

Has anyone been watching 'This Country', by the way? It's a very decent comedy-mock-reality TV about the trials and tribulations of young adulthood in The Cotswolds. Funny.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Saw Get Out. it is an intensly dark, disturbing, and actually quite chilling dark comedy (i think) there were a few laughs from me anyway. great squirm in your seat stuff!!

New series of Judd Apatow's Love (netflix) not really living up to the first - that date episode in series 1 is still one of the funniest bits of tele ive seen!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:02 am

Watched the last episode of series three of Inside No. 9 last night. Possibly their most disturbing yet, but as ever - brilliant.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Watched Breakfast at Tiffany's on Monday for the first time. Wasn't sure what to expect but really enjoyed it. Then had lots of fun reading about how Truman Capote hated the casting of Hepburn. Will try to read the book soon and compare.

Christ, though, Mickey Rooney's part hasn't aged well, shall we say... What the f*ck was that?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:22 pm

Scandinavian night tonight. Just watched Shadows in Paradise, a 1986 Finnish art house comedy-drama film written and directed by Aki Kaurismäki. Very dry and emotionless (as I find the Finns to be in general).

Next up - Songs From the Second Floor. A Swedish black comedy from the excellent Roy Andersson
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:24 pm

Started watching OJ Simpson: Made in America on a recco. 7 hours of television that's taken over my life this week. Got the final hour and a half to watch tonight.

A brilliant documentary on race, stardom, domestic violence, policing and of course, an outrageous miscarriage of justice. Great TV
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:54 pm

We've coincidentally started watching that this week too. Enjoying it, but some of the dialogue is baaaaaad.

John Travolta looks like a live-action character from GTA: Miami Vice

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:10 am

Green Street is on now.

As far as football hooligan film experiences go it's OK in parts but can't compete with titles such as ID and The Firm. Better than Football Factory as the leading characters are more tolerable, and no Danny Dire in sight.

At times it's unintentionally hilarious such as when they pull an emergency cord in the middle of nowhere and the train stops right at a station when it would have been impossible. And is that what Manchester station actually looks like ? And what took the Police so long to arrive before the fight even got underway ?

Probably directed at an American audience such is the lead role in Elijah Wood. They probably won't know any different, but for British viewers who are painfully aware of the mistakes and oversights throughout the film, it's at times embarrassing to watch.

So bad it's good in actual fact. (What's with the lead firm members East End accent ?)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:01 am

Green Street is incredible. From Charlie Thingy's Australian cockney accent to the 80s soft rock played over the slow motion tear up at the end. Unintentional comedy gold.

Best line of dialogue ever written is Charlie jumping up hitting the wall above the door of the pub shouting "it's football day".

And they called the retired hooligan "the Major". Amazing.

It is a Manchester station tbf, but Victoria rather than the claimed Piccadilly.