What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 pm

benn wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
benn wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Was lent the DVD of 'Prometheus'. Cutting edge Sci-fi it is not. I loved Alien and Blade Runner but Prometheus is not worth the pixels it takes up on my screen: same old same old, right down to the android having his head ripped off and continuing to talk; even a pastiche of the alien erupting from the stomach only this time under do-it-yourself surgery. :zzz:
really? i thought it was an intriguing insight into the origin of the fossilised alien found in the ship in the first alien film. in finding those and the monster aliens did you expect them creatures to have suddenly become civilised and passed the chewing gum around?
[At no point was it 'explained' why, having created us, they now wanted to destroy us.]

Yes next film but what is wrong with that?

[Nor was it adequately explained why it was that the weapon they were going to use to destroy us actually destroyed them.]

Erm I thought it was clear that they set up a base on that planet to breed the creatures and it was not their home planet(s) So they were not actually destroyed, some of the creatures actually escaped and they were more or less wiped out

Beats bloody silly Star Wars by a mile but I suppose each to their own
:lmfao:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 pm

benn wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
benn wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:Was lent the DVD of 'Prometheus'. Cutting edge Sci-fi it is not. I loved Alien and Blade Runner but Prometheus is not worth the pixels it takes up on my screen: same old same old, right down to the android having his head ripped off and continuing to talk; even a pastiche of the alien erupting from the stomach only this time under do-it-yourself surgery. :zzz:
really? i thought it was an intriguing insight into the origin of the fossilised alien found in the ship in the first alien film. in finding those and the monster aliens did you expect them creatures to have suddenly become civilised and passed the chewing gum around?
[At no point was it 'explained' why, having created us, they now wanted to destroy us.]

Yes next film but what is wrong with that?

[Nor was it adequately explained why it was that the weapon they were going to use to destroy us actually destroyed them.]

Erm I thought it was clear that they set up a base on that planet to breed the creatures and it was not their home planet(s) So they were not actually destroyed, some of the creatures actually escaped and they were more or less wiped out

Beats bloody silly Star Wars by a mile but I suppose each to their own
You've got to ignore me... I'm just lashing out - I've had the plague for a week, I've got terminal ennui, and GtE is baiting me with sounds from the Quo. I agree Prometheus pisses on bloody silly Star Wars, but only just. Like Alien, some of the science is a little iffy too, for example in cryogenic sleep for two years to get to a star system with at least five suns! no way, there isn't a five sun system within 100 light years, never mind two (and that's assuming they travelled at the speed of light).
But that's not what I'm moaning about. My major moan is the predictability of the entire film, it was just a rehash of all the things that were fresh and original in the first Alien film. and then he goes and waters down that originality even more. What was startling about Alien/Blade Runner to a large extent was the dark dystopian vision he gave to the future - rusting industrial chains in a flow of dripping water inside a dank cavern-like bay on the Nostromo, for instance, grabbed the attention because up till then the future in all (sorry, almost all) films was silvery, bright, modern and shiny. Prometheus gives me nothing in the way of innovation, nothing at all, it's all been done before (by the the previously innovative Ridley Scott).
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

hi there, i'm chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by hi there, i'm chris » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:21 pm

Still not seen Prometheus, and I've skipped over the last few posts because there seems to be quite a lot of spoilering going on, but I find it very hard to believe that anything with Idris Elba in it, however small his part is in it, can be bad.
http://www.twitter.com/chrisbradish" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Tyrannosaur is on film4.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Like Alien, some of the science is a little iffy too, for example in cryogenic sleep for two years to get to a star system with at least five suns! no way, there isn't a five sun system within 100 light years, never mind two (and that's assuming they travelled at the speed of light).
But that's not what I'm moaning about.
Don't want to come across as a complete nerd but... You can travel to a star system a 100 light years away in 2 years, in fact you can travel practically any distance in any amount of time given enough speed. You might intuitively think that; given nothing can travel faster than light (actually all mass travels less than the speed of light (c)) the earliest you could get there is 100+ years, but in reality the faster you travel in the spatial dimensions, the less time you spend in the time dimension. If you were to travel at 99.9999% of c you could get there in 51days and 12hours.

If you were to return to Earth however, it would still be 200+ years older.

Really not critising just thought 'twas interesting.
Last edited by Spartan2 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:53 pm

Spartan2 wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Like Alien, some of the science is a little iffy too, for example in cryogenic sleep for two years to get to a star system with at least five suns! no way, there isn't a five sun system within 100 light years, never mind two (and that's assuming they travelled at the speed of light).
Don't want to come across as a complete nerd but... You can travel to a star system a 100 light years away in 2 years, in fact you can travel practically any distance in any amount of time given enough speed. You might intuitively think that; given nothing can travel faster than light (actually all mass travels less than the speed of light (c)) the earliest you could get there is 100+ years, but in reality the faster you travel in the spatial dimensions, the less time you spend in the time dimension. If you were to travel at 99.9999% of c you could get there in 51days and 12hours.

Really not critising just thought 'twas interesting. Prometheus was wank.
You're Professor Brian Cox and I claim my £5.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Wormholes, ffs. Do you guys know nothing ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Masterchef: The Professionals.

Blimey....not much good are they?

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Finally got round to watching Skyfall tonight, it was ace!

Definitely the best of the Daniel Craig era.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:39 am

Annoyed Grunt wrote:Masterchef: The Professionals.

Whilst not generally disagreeing with your point, I know a few guys who've been on telly. The context has to be taken into account, its a programme designed to take people out of their comfort zone and pressurise them. Some of them (in more honest moments) will admit to going completely to pieces when under the glare of the studio lights.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:06 am

keveh wrote:Finally got round to watching Skyfall tonight, it was ace!

Definitely the best of the Daniel Craig era.
:doh:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:33 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:Masterchef: The Professionals.

Whilst not generally disagreeing with your point, I know a few guys who've been on telly. The context has to be taken into account, its a programme designed to take people out of their comfort zone and pressurise them. Some of them (in more honest moments) will admit to going completely to pieces when under the glare of the studio lights.
Indeed. And the "skills test" they get them to do is prime example. Pick something and tell the camera that "this is a basic chef skill" like taking the meat out of a cooked lobster then making a salad.

Then ridicule the fecking pastry chef for not getting all the lobster meat out of the arm or sommat.....

I like masterchef in general, but this professional one really bugs the hell out of me.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:42 am

bobo the clown wrote:Wormholes, ffs. Do you guys know nothing ??
If you got wormholes in your spaceship all the air would escape :P
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:49 am

Spartan2 wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:

Really not critising just thought 'twas interesting.
Aye, you're talking time dilation at relativistic speeds - but, however, you still need to speed up and then slow down from that relativistic speed and the timel apse (for the observer on the spaceship as opposed to on the Earth) would be far greater than two years - for a 100 light year journey it would, given accelerations/decelerations that could probably be achieved by 2089, be in the region of 81 years elapsed.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

benn
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by benn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:15 am

Our understanding of science and maths is primitive. One of the most thought provoking things Cox said was that if somehow humanity were to survive until our Sun turns into a red giant, our current state of evolution would appear to them as the earliest single cell microbes beside the initial sulphurous pools 2 billion years ago.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:13 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
we've got wormholes in the pews... do I need to be very afraid??

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:17 am

watched the start of the second series of The Hour last night - Peter Capaldi has arrived as "Head of News" - in fact there are several well-drawn interesting characters... good stuff...

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:24 am

thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Nobody can hear you scream in Devon.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 am

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
thebish wrote:
Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Nobody can hear you scream in Devon.

No, but they can hear I scream.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:31 am

Gary the Enfield wrote: No, but they can hear I scream.
mmmmmmmmmmmm - we have it for breakfast every day...