What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by William the White » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:24 pm

Spent a very stimulating 90 minutes watching the first 3 eps of the brilliant 1972 BBC series Ways of Seeing on youtube. Here John Berger, the critic, novelist and art historian and general all round genius condenses a Marxist-inspired view of Art History into two hours (I'll be looking to catch the last 30 mins tomorrow).

I'm hard-wired to enjoy this stuff, of course. And loved it. Even more than I did 40 years ago.

The book the series spawned was, I'm very pleased to say, still on my daughter's reading list when she studied Creative Arts at Lancaster Uni three years ago...

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:49 pm

Watched a documentary on BBC iPlayer called "Fear Itself", its clips from Horror genre films, whilst exploring what makes them scary (not gory) whilst the narration is a full thesis/personal account of things in the writers life, whilst not addressing the clips its on but the actual emotions felt watching these films. Its a bizarre but captivating watch into how the films work to scare the viewer. Definitely a good watch, especially for any horror fans (but again no gore in it), oh and very very atmospheric.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:32 pm

family fillum night... just watched Inglorious Basterds... great fun! :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:17 am

Had another watch of Once upon a time in the West. Without a doubt the best Western genre film ever made. Charles Bonson, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, Claudia Cardinale and a cast of thousands (well, maybe hundreds) :) If you haven't seen it it's well worth a watch. Tense and slow building but full of suspense.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:45 am

^ Seen it many times, Tango. One of the very best westerns. "Once Upon a Time In America" is also a brilliant film, but on a mafia theme.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Still Life. Good job I'm a tough nut, so as not to have to roll back a tear or fend off a cricket ball in the throat. Eddie Marsan as brilliant as ever. Surely nobody's life ends with nobody, does it? :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Still Life. Good job I'm a tough nut, so as not to have to roll back a tear or fend off a cricket ball in the throat. Eddie Marsan as brilliant as ever. Surely nobody's life ends with nobody, does it? :(

sadly, all too frequently. Most years I do a couple of funerals where nobody is expected - and nobody comes - nobody notices a person has died...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:44 pm

i have been enjoying a BBC drama on netflix called "Line of Duty" - two short series' centreing on a police anti-corruption unit... both distinct stories that end up being linked - and some well known faces...

apparently there's a third series out - but that's not on netflix yet.. yay - summat to look fwd to!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:06 pm

thebish wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Still Life. Good job I'm a tough nut, so as not to have to roll back a tear or fend off a cricket ball in the throat. Eddie Marsan as brilliant as ever. Surely nobody's life ends with nobody, does it? :(

sadly, all too frequently. Most years I do a couple of funerals where nobody is expected - and nobody comes - nobody notices a person has died...
Please tell me that's not true. Please.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:

I'm afraid not... it's very sad - those occasions always seem so bleak. :(

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
thebish wrote:

You might be interested in the documentary Dreams of a Life, Bruce. It's about a simlar sort of thing.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:41 pm

apparently there are about 8 funerals in the UK every day (presumably 5 days a week) - where the council pays and organises it because there are no known relatives or nok - and nobody comes forward...

so - that's just over 2000 a year...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:00 pm

"Death of a gentleman". A documentary style film about the behind the scenes world of international cricket. It's cricket chaps, but not as we know it. Had to watch it through.

Nicko58
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nicko58 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:"Death of a gentleman". A documentary style film about the behind the scenes world of international cricket. It's cricket chaps, but not as we know it. Had to watch it through.
Where did you watch it, Tango?

It was on in Manchester a few weeks ago but I missed it and I've been dying to see it.
'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.'

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Nicko58 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:"Death of a gentleman". A documentary style film about the behind the scenes world of international cricket. It's cricket chaps, but not as we know it. Had to watch it through.
Where did you watch it, Tango?

It was on in Manchester a few weeks ago but I missed it and I've been dying to see it.
I watched it on a site I was given, Putlocker. Looked it up on Google and it seems legit enough. You have to be quick deleting the pop-up ads but after that it's fine.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:27 pm

Amazing film.

Watched Eddie in Disappearance of Alice Creed which was on iplayer the other day. Nothing like as good as Still Life but decent.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:17 am

General Mannerheim wrote:
Amazing film.

Watched Eddie in Disappearance of Alice Creed which was on iplayer the other day. Nothing like as good as Still Life but decent.
Yeah, but Gemma Arterton!! 8)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:34 am

Nicko58 wrote:
You might be interested in the documentary Dreams of a Life, Bruce. It's about a simlar sort of thing.
Thanks, Nicko. Not sure that I'm ready for more of the same just yet, but I'll put it on the list.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:36 am

General Mannerheim wrote:
Amazing film.

Watched it a while back, General. Really difficult to comprehend that it's a true story. How fortunate we are to have loved ones!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:39 am

Tonight's viewing is Begin Again. Just noticed though that it has James Corden in it, so it's starting from a low point!