What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:38 pm

Had a re-watch of the late Heath Ledger's whacky A Knight's Tale, tonight. Great entertainment of the no-brains -needed type..Loved the mix of medieval nonesense, dance and pop music. The "We will Rock You" crowd version was superb and brought back visions of Lofty winding up the Wimbledon faithful on the Burnden embankment in a night match years back. Put me in a good mood. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:35 am

marvelous return of Peep Show last night! Tim Key cracks me up.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:Spectre - they've just made the last film again, but worse. So dully formulaic that it was boring.
I agree entirely. The rest in white so no spoilers: We saw it on the imax yesterday at the Trafford Centre and the more I think about it the less substance there was to it and the more like a series of set-piece events strung together it becomes. There's the most pathetic car chase, through the streets of Rome, that I have ever seen! Its no good filming the speedo showing 85 only then to see the two cars doing no more than 30. The fight on the train with Bond and this heavy set bloke knocking 7 shades out of each other through sets that Neighbours would have been ashamed of. There's a huge top secret Spectre lair out in the desert that one small explosion barely strong enough to scratch then inexplicably sets off a chain reaction and totally destroyed the whole complex. There was Bond waggling his hips and walking about like some woman on a catwalk. Need I go on! It was poor and the plot was stretched paper thin. Daniel Craig has had his day and its time for him to move over.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Any of you runners ever watched the Tom Courtney film "The Loneliness of the long-distance runner" ? . Granted, it's as much about youthful opposition to authority as running, but I seem to remember it as a good watch with running the main theme. Fair while since I saw it. Just a thought.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:17 pm

New in from LF. Gangs of New York (Whose idea was that? :conf:) and Mike Leigh's High Hopes. I'm really looking forward to that one.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:56 pm

We were away in Northumberland this week and decided to try a couple of the films left in the cottage.

Inspector Harrington 'starring' Stephen Tomkinson as a no nonsense hard copper in Newcastle in the 1970s. Talk about mis casting. Terrible acting, script and plot. Avoid like the bloody plague
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Any of you runners ever watched the Tom Courtney film "The Loneliness of the long-distance runner" ? . Granted, it's as much about youthful opposition to authority as running, but I seem to remember it as a good watch with running the main theme. Fair while since I saw it. Just a thought.
Classic film of Brit social realism of the early 1960s. And a very good example of the genre. Couple it with Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The L Shaped Room, This Sporting Life, Billy Liar and a good half dozen others and you'll see what an interesting period this was as the cameras moved 'up north' to investigate working class life.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:23 pm

William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Any of you runners ever watched the Tom Courtney film "The Loneliness of the long-distance runner" ? . Granted, it's as much about youthful opposition to authority as running, but I seem to remember it as a good watch with running the main theme. Fair while since I saw it. Just a thought.
Classic film of Brit social realism of the early 1960s. And a very good example of the genre. Couple it with Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The L Shaped Room, This Sporting Life, Billy Liar and a good half dozen others and you'll see what an interesting period this was as the cameras moved 'up north' to investigate working class life.
Aye, now you've set me off: Room at the Top, Life at the Top, I'm all right Jack, Spring and Port Wine, The Family Way, Whistle Down The Wind, Kes and later Billy Elliot all proved the noth has much to offer in storylines and were great examples of good acting and filming.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Yes Tango, I've both seen and read Loneliness, try to sample all films and books involving running, geek that I am. Love them both. Keep meaning to watch more of those 1960s British films too, enjoyed what I've seen.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Just seen Alan Bennett's " The Lady In the Van".

Very good and amazing that it's a true(ish) story. Maggie Smith as ever is wonderful.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:48 am

bobo the clown wrote:Just seen Alan Bennett's " The Lady In the Van".

Very good and amazing that it's a true(ish) story. Maggie Smith as ever is wonderful.
recommendation enough for my money! DVD, Netflix, TV?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:47 am

thebish wrote:

It opened at the flicks yesterday, Bish. An evening out for you and Mrs Bish, ;)

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:52 am

thebish wrote:

Yep .... Odeon/Vue/CineWorld.

It's a very good .... though not fantastic ... film. But we'll worth the trip and, as said, the Dame is terrific.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:03 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:

Yep .... Odeon/Vue/CineWorld.

It's a very good .... though not fantastic ... film. But we'll worth the trip and, as said, the Dame is terrific.

ahhh - it's actually a fillum at the pictures! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Really looking forward to seeing it.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Talking about possible fake passports on the French bombing thread struck a memory and sent me looking for this old British classic. May have mentioned it on here in the past, but a cracking low budget wartime film that Brits do so well.
The Man who never was. I watched t here: Just click the ads off and the quality is pretty good.

http://vidzi.tv/mq14a2uyipc3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

proudfoot
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by proudfoot » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:34 pm

Started watching GoT season 3...a little behind but glad I've got a lot to watch! :P

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Simply Nigella. To be honest, she could be cooking fecking anything for all I care. :oops:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:26 pm

family movie night tonight... the fillum that came in the post had a huge crack in it - so we were forced to find one on Amazon Prime

watched "Another Earth" which was engaging is a weird and very odd way!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:23 pm

Watched The Contender a 2000 film about Presidential duplicity in the good old Oval Office. A slow-burner with not a Glock automatic in sight but that got its point over in a slow and steady fashion. Good performances from Gary Oldman, Jeff Bridges, Sam Elliot and Joan Allen. As ever, ends with a rousing presidential speech about the great American Dream, but basically a decent film.