What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:34 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Well she hated it for a kick off, despised it, so the romanticised sobbing at the premier was a bit off. She also wasn't a snooty repressed loveless old wench - she was in fact much more contemporary, into acting, music and dance, she had a son, she had lovers of both sexes, and she a spoke with an Australian accent!
To be fair, she could have sobbed like that because she was upset regardless.

The accent point is interesting - did you stay until the end of the credits when they played some of the actual tapes? I didn't she sounded Australian?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:02 am

Yeah I've read that argument, that's she's sobbing because she hates it? But that's not how I deciphered it at the time. I did stay for the original recordings bit ( at Barbican nobody budges until the credits finish rolling and the lights come up!) I was penned in, but I can't quite recall how she sounded now...?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:14 am

General Mannerheim wrote:Yeah I've read that argument, that's she's sobbing because she hates it? But that's not how I deciphered it at the time. I did stay for the original recordings bit ( at Barbican nobody budges until the credits finish rolling and the lights come up!) I was penned in, but I can't quite recall how she sounded now...?
No, I'm not saying she's sobbing because she hates it - just that she could be emotional about her dad even if she didn't like it. They do show her shaking her head during the premier after all.

Also, you can imagine her losing herself in the moment but being determined not to like it once the lights came up.

As for the accent - she sounded more prim and English than Australian on those recordings to me. The fact that you can't remember suggests it didn't jar with you either?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:30 am

The PL Travers story was quite well known but had rarely been considered from her perspective before. She produced a story which was somewhat autobiographical but woven around a mystical imagery.

As someone of the generation which saw the film in its original release and through a child's eye it was a magical adventure. I have never tired of it .... despite the awful Dick van Dyke involvement (which, of course, aged about 8 didn't seem an issue at the time). I understand the needs of box-office but that doesn't excuse the God-awful performance and direction. (see David Putnam's interview regarding Burt Lancaster being shoe-horned into Local Hero for the best explanation of box-office economics).

To now see that she struggled with the film and how it failed to portray what she saw in her book or her mind's eye is revealing ... but I'm glad the film was made and sad that she felt so bitter about it. So bitter that no follow up films were made from her other books. (not that I know of, anyway). I can empathise with a writer seeing their baby being misinterpreted and so not being produced as they dreamt but I do feel that if she'd given just a little then she'd have actually won more.

Mind you she must have cried all the way to the bank.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:16 am

I listened to hear appearance on Desert Island Discs from 1977 after seeing the film, she definitely has an Aussie accent.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:45 am

A great excuse to spend an hour with Victoria Coren (I refuse to accept that she's married. I still feel I can win her over).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3sqRDqVEBE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At around 10.30 minutes and again in an interview at 13 min (& other moments) you hear her speak in what I'd take to be 'received English'. Also, at around 11.30 minutes, a woman who knew her says that 'no-one realised she was Australian'.

Maybe she was a chameleon-like character.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Ever asked yourself 'I wonder who would win a fight between Rocky Balboa and Jake La Motta?', well now you can find out! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25419098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Sounds like it'll be awful but I'll definitely be going to watch it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Is there a genre, or standard of script, that Robert De Niro would turn down? He literally goes for feckin' anything! He's a fantastic actor, but he doesn't half put some shit on his CV
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:29 pm

boltonboris wrote:Is there a genre, or standard of script, that Robert De Niro would turn down? He literally goes for feckin' anything! He's a fantastic actor, but he doesn't half put some shit on his CV
:lol: I avoided the 'Meet The....' movies, but otherwise I'll pretty much watch anything he's in. Worst I've seen is probably 'Righteous Kill' with Pacino. Truly awful film. He can still put in the good performances when he can be bothered though, Silver Linings Playbook and Everybody's Fine amongst others in recent memory.

He's worked with Stallone before in Cop Land, which I liked, so you never know!

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:35 pm

Watched 'Hide and Seek' with him in it, that was fecking terrible.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:57 pm

Beefheart wrote:
boltonboris wrote:Is there a genre, or standard of script, that Robert De Niro would turn down? He literally goes for feckin' anything! He's a fantastic actor, but he doesn't half put some shit on his CV
:lol: I avoided the 'Meet The....' movies, but otherwise I'll pretty much watch anything he's in. Worst I've seen is probably 'Righteous Kill' with Pacino. Truly awful film. He can still put in the good performances when he can be bothered though, Silver Linings Playbook and Everybody's Fine amongst others in recent memory.

He's worked with Stallone before in Cop Land, which I liked, so you never know!
Dreadful. Don't like the Meet the movies either, in fact don't like him in comedy roles at all.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:59 pm

The Family is his latest one, it's pure faeces too.

Fwiw, I thought the first 'Meet the...' was alright.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:29 pm

I thought Meet the Parents was decent too, but recently found out it's a remake of a British black comedy. Really want to see that! Was in an article about remakes. Bloody Wizard of Oz was a remake!

That's got to mess with Tango's head :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:I thought Meet the Parents was decent too, but recently found out it's a remake of a British black comedy. Really want to see that! Was in an article about remakes. Bloody Wizard of Oz was a remake!

That's got to mess with Tango's head :D
Remake of an American film....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_the_P ... (1992_film" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Rodin is one of deNero's best performances besides being a cracking film anyway.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Rodin is one of deNero's best performances besides being a cracking film anyway.
Ronin?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:01 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Rodin is one of deNero's best performances besides being a cracking film anyway.
Ronin?
No, the one where he's a muthafucking painter. :D

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Ronin?
Yeah, but what colour did he paint the boat house at Hereford? :wink:

Never heard of Rodin...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:02 pm

Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Ronin?

Never heard of Rodin...
Errr that would of course by a muthafuckin sculptor. :oops:

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Annoyed Grunt wrote:
Ronin?

Never heard of Rodin...
Errr that would of course by a muthafuckin sculptor. :oops:
Nope, no idea...