What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by clapton is god » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:54 pm

Just got back from of Bridge of Spies.

What a really excellent film! Spielberg back to his very best and Tom Hanks as good as I have ever seen him. I can just about remember the events of 1960 portrayed in the film, and the tension of the times, and that might be a part of my enthusiasm for it, I suppose, but well worth viewing!

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:35 am

The most amazing film I've seen in absolutely ages. 'Wild Tales' from Argentina. 6 short very dark, very clever and very funny stories. Brilliant.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:23 am

General Mannerheim wrote:The most amazing film I've seen in absolutely ages. 'Wild Tales' from Argentina. 6 short very dark, very clever and very funny stories. Brilliant.
Sounds good! I'll put it on the list.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:28 am

Little lad has got me into watching "Impractical Jokers" (although he watches the pre-watershed version), really childish but properly laugh out loud funny.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:40 am

wigan white wrote:Little lad has got me into watching "Impractical Jokers" (although he watches the pre-watershed version), really childish but properly laugh out loud funny.
Walking Dead aside, that show is the best show on television. FACT.
Businesswoman of the year.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:23 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
wigan white wrote:Little lad has got me into watching "Impractical Jokers" (although he watches the pre-watershed version), really childish but properly laugh out loud funny.
Walking Dead aside, that show is the best show on television. FACT.
Its definitely one of the funniest TV series I've watched, thoroughly recommend it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:05 pm

The American version is ace. The British version is awful.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

wigan white
Reliable
Reliable

Post by wigan white » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:The American version is ace. The British version is awful.
Yep, Should have said its the American one I watch.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:52 pm

I've never played a game of chess in my life. If anybody had told me I'd watch a film about chess I'd have laughed. I just watched Pawn Sacrifice - apparently based on true events about the rivalry between Boris Spasky and Bobby Fischer - and it was absolutely fascinating. I won't say anymore about it except I really enjoyed the suspense and background story immensely. Recommend.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:I've never played a game of chess in my life. If anybody had told me I'd watch a film about chess I'd have laughed. I just watched Pawn Sacrifice - apparently based on true events about the rivalry between Boris Spasky and Bobby Fischer - and it was absolutely fascinating. I won't say anymore about it except I really enjoyed the suspense and background story immensely. Recommend.
I watched that too. Not bad at all except Tobey Maguire was totally miscast as Fischer.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:05 pm

jmjhb wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:I've never played a game of chess in my life. If anybody had told me I'd watch a film about chess I'd have laughed. I just watched Pawn Sacrifice - apparently based on true events about the rivalry between Boris Spasky and Bobby Fischer - and it was absolutely fascinating. I won't say anymore about it except I really enjoyed the suspense and background story immensely. Recommend.
I watched that too. Not bad at all except Tobey Maguire was totally miscast as Fischer.
Have I dreamed this up? Wasn't there once a Chess player who complained that his opponent was being given cryptic messages via pots of yogurt? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:22 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Have I dreamed this up? Wasn't there once a Chess player who complained that his opponent was being given cryptic messages via pots of yogurt? :?
Don't know, but after seeing Bobby Fischer's story I could believe anything.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think I probably need to watch that film, Tango. It's just.......... you know, putting an evening aside to watch a film about a couple of blokes playing chess :?

But then I read this! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Che ... nship_1978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
jmjhb wrote:
I suspect that he was making excuses, as he was Muller-ed in every game. Sorry, that's the best/worst that I can do. :oops:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think I probably need to watch that film, Tango. It's just.......... you know, putting an evening aside to watch a film about a couple of blokes playing chess :?

But then I read this! :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Che ... nship_1978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My initial view too, but I think you should have a watch anyway. I enjoyed it. :D

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:05 pm

We watched Spooks last night, an enjoyable spin off from the TV series. Three of the finest actors were in it. Tim, Mac and Ernie I think they were called.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:51 am

Watched Gran Torino last night. Very enjoyable. If a little obvious.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:17 am

always look forward to Kermodes top 10 films of the year to see what new titles i need to add to the list. pretty obscure bunch this year tho. a black and white iranian vampire flick, a couple of japanese anime's and a pixar blockbuster! couple do look good tho, esp looking forward to seeing The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson. No mention of Wild Tales either!

1. Inside Out - Pixar’s perfectly realised psychological animation is a joy.
2. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night - Ana Lily Amirpour’s Iranian vampire western.
3. Girlhood -  Vibrant tale of girls in the Parisian hood from Céline Sciamma.
4. Carol - Todd Haynes’s note-perfect Patricia Highsmith adaptation.
5. The Falling - Swooning tale of mass fainting, written and directed by Carol Morley.
6. Song of the Sea - Tomm Moore’s timeless blend of musical and visual magic.
7. Brooklyn John - Crowley directs the flawless Saoirse Ronan.
8. Sunset Song - Ravishing Lewis Grassic Gibbon adaptation from Terence Davies.
9. The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson - Julien Temple tackles a matter of life and death.
10.The Tale of the Princess Kaguya - Sublime Studio Ghibli fable from Isao Takahata.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:44 am

Kermode is a gobshite.

Go off Metacritic or something.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:02 am

i enjoy listening to his reviews. i dont blindly obey his ramblings tho, and he slates a lot of stuff i like. however he does bring the odd gem to my attention.