What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 pm

This Country is so, so fecking good.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:15 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 pm
It absolutely is. Was talking with a colleague yesterday about how they dealt with the death of Michael Sleggs (Suggs). The easiest thing to do would've been to ignore it, clearly, but they met it with absolute class. Brilliant stuff.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Bruce's endorsement too means I'll give this a try.

I think it was you who recommended the excellent Nighty Night, still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

You did blot your copybook with Fleabag though. I sat through a series and a half of that over rated shite and got nowt more than a smile!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:12 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:11 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I think it was you who recommended the excellent Nighty Night, still one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

You did blot your copybook with Fleabag though. I sat through a series and a half of that over rated shite and got nowt more than a smile!
Fleabag is the best TV programme I've seen for years. But you don't like Iron Maiden so all your opinions are invalid. Been meaning to give This Country a whirl.
Anyone seen White Gold?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:39 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Nah sorry I thought it was absolutely brilliant....no accounting for taste I guess.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:58 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:39 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Nah sorry I thought it was absolutely brilliant....no accounting for taste I guess.
Thought it was a bit "meh" - I did watch it all which is better than most "funny" programmes get. It won't be going down in the annals alongside Fawlty Towers anytime soon.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:02 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:58 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Thought it was a bit "meh" - I did watch it all which is better than most "funny" programmes get. It won't be going down in the annals alongside Fawlty Towers anytime soon.
I have Fawlty Towers as my second best comedy series of all time - behind the Office.

But Fleabag is really good in my view - I'd agree its not an all time classic that will last the test of time. But still.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am

Last thing that had me crying laughing was "a quiet night in" - one of the first series Inside No9 episodes...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:43 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

I'm glad others enjoyed Fleabag anyway :D.

If you liked Nighty Night would strongly recommend you watch Sally4ever, JD's latest effort. Now *that* is not going to be for everyone but might be my favourite thing she's ever done. I watch it on Now TV (it's Sky) but might be tricky to get hold of if you don't have Sky. Would recco highly to any fan of Nighty Night, though.

This Country is much broader in appeal but it's so beautifully observed. Slightly different tone but it reminded me of the Detectorists with more gags.
Last edited by Prufrock on Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:44 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:02 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:58 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

I have Fawlty Towers as my second best comedy series of all time - behind the Office.

But Fleabag is really good in my view - I'd agree its not an all time classic that will last the test of time. But still.
The Office, Peep Show and Always Sunny are my top 3 without a doubt. Couldn't pick a fav though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:45 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:43 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

I'm glad others enjoyed Fleabag anyway :D.

If you liked Nighty Night would strongly recommend you watch Sally4ever, JD's latest effort. Now *that* is not going to be for everyone but might be my favourite thing she's ever done.

This Country is much broader in appeal but it's so beautifully observed. Slightly different tone but it reminded me of the Detectorists with more gags.
That was magical. Hugely underrated. Not laugh out loud or even really a comedy in the traditional sense but an absolutely brilliant show for my money. In a similar vein (sort of) the Trip is also complete genius. Not sure how you'd categorise it though!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:43 am

Spot on. Absolutely love both.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:00 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:12 am

Fleabag is the best TV programme I've seen for years. But you don't like Iron Maiden so all your opinions are invalid.
I've no strong opinion on Iron Maiden as the last thing I heard of theirs was about 1981. Run to the hills, number of the beast? I assume they've done something else since then as aviation fuel ain't cheap.

Fleabag - Mmm. I really tried with it, only giving up halfway through the 2nd series when i realised I'd not laughed since the opening 5 minutes of episode 1. With the little asides to the camera I'd say it's an unfunny Miranda with anal sex references.

Peep show & The Office. Now you're talking! Blackadder 4, 3, 2 and 1 in that order, Lead Balloon, Seinfeld and Curb. Proper comedy!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:48 pm

I'll take Blackadder out of that list and maybe add The Young Ones, Spitting Image, Not the Nine O'clock News, Drop the Dead Donkey :-)

I have to admit, I really struggle with Peep Show, Office and anything US side since "Soap"- all a bit "the lead is a cock" type scenarios - ...I like a few of the US stand-ups, Reginald D Hunter, George Carlin and Rich Hall.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:00 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:12 am

Fleabag is the best TV programme I've seen for years. But you don't like Iron Maiden so all your opinions are invalid.
I've no strong opinion on Iron Maiden as the last thing I heard of theirs was about 1981. Run to the hills, number of the beast? I assume they've done something else since then as aviation fuel ain't cheap.

Fleabag - Mmm. I really tried with it, only giving up halfway through the 2nd series when i realised I'd not laughed since the opening 5 minutes of episode 1. With the little asides to the camera I'd say it's an unfunny Miranda with anal sex references.

Peep show & The Office. Now you're talking! Blackadder 4, 3, 2 and 1 in that order, Lead Balloon, Seinfeld and Curb. Proper comedy!
Seasons 1-3 only though. But yes. And blackadder - though I feel its hugely dated now. Its cutting satire feels very old hat in cynical 2020 world....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:06 pm
. And blackadder - though I feel its hugely dated now.
Only insofar as Series 1 was set in 1485, Series 2 during the reign of Queen Elizabeth I (1558–1603), Series 3 during the Regency period of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, and Series 4 in the 1917 trenches of the 1st World War. ;)

My order of preference, by the way, is 3 - 4 - 2 - 1. I still find them funny to this day. My favourite ever episode btw, being the Dr Samuel Johnson episode in Series 3 :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:02 am

Blackadder 1 is awful, barely watchable. It might as well be a totally different programme.

The other 3 are all excellent. I'd just about to with Bruce on the order: 3-4-2------------------------1.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:02 am
Blackadder 1 is awful, barely watchable. It might as well be a totally different programme.

The other 3 are all excellent. I'd just about to with Bruce on the order: 3-4-2------------------------1.
Agreed, the first is poor. Surprised that it was successful enough to continue.
Except for the Witchsmeller Pursuivant episode, which was funny, especially when Percy spotted a strange and fantastical creature...

Percy: Only this morning in the courtyard I saw a horse with two heads and two bodies.
Blackadder: Two horses standing next to each other? :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:19 am

Just finished watching the first series of Sunderland 'til I Die. A really interesting take on what was going on behind the scenes, pitched against the blind levels of expectation amongst their supporters.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:55 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:19 am
Just finished watching the first series of Sunderland 'til I Die. A really interesting take on what was going on behind the scenes, pitched against the blind levels of expectation amongst their supporters.
It's very good isn't it? Season 2 is a good watch too but not as in depth as S1 imo. Wait until you see the negotiations to land Will Grigg :lol: