What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:35 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
I'll readily agree Cruise is both a good actor and does a lot of his own stunts. He was excellent in "The Last Samurai", top class in fact. Had this film not been about a character many of us know very well, fair enough, a decent enough film. My particular beef is why he had to take on as well known a character as Reacher as opposed to half a hundred other action options he could have taken. I've read all Lee Child's book, some more than once. Tom Cruise isn't in any of them..... :wink:
In answer to the bolded part......$$$$$$$$
Any Cruise franchise would make a packet. I definitely thik it's Cruise overcompensating for his lack of height. He bought the rights for himself, wasn't handpicked by a studio. He read the books and thought, I'm going to play this guy, because I'm rich and I can.
Dick.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:24 pm

looking through his filmography I dont think ive seen a Tom Cruise film since 2002 Minority Report ? ive seen him make a few small appearances; Magnolia, Tropic Thunder (which were great) but i have no interest in seeing what he has become of a leading man looking at that list. do love all the old classics tho... but it says on there he has announced TopGun 2 ffs...

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:28 pm

nobody watched any of the new Black Mirror yet? seen 4 out of the 6 and they're fecking outstanding!

Loving Westworld too but ive no idea whats going on...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Watched an oldie last night I hadn't seen before. "Quiz Show" is a film based on true story of a fixing scandal on T.V in the 1950's.
Thought it enoyable with Ralph Feines playing a decent central figure.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
I'll readily agree Cruise is both a good actor
I do like Rich Hall's take on Tom Cruise films :)

May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:15 pm

:lol: I do like Roch Hall. Saw him live once, nearly as funny at Stewart Lee.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
I'll readily agree Cruise is both a good actor
I do like Rich Hall's take on Tom Cruise films :)

Aw, what a pity he didn't get on to Jack Reacher films... :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:55 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
I'll readily agree Cruise is both a good actor and does a lot of his own stunts. He was excellent in "The Last Samurai", top class in fact. Had this film not been about a character many of us know very well, fair enough, a decent enough film. My particular beef is why he had to take on as well known a character as Reacher as opposed to half a hundred other action options he could have taken. I've read all Lee Child's book, some more than once. Tom Cruise isn't in any of them..... :wink:
In answer to the bolded part......$$$$$$$$
Any Cruise franchise would make a packet. I definitely thik it's Cruise overcompensating for his lack of height. He bought the rights for himself, wasn't handpicked by a studio. He read the books and thought, I'm going to play this guy, because I'm rich and I can.
Dick.
Right, but since any will do, why not the Reacher series?

Not a fan or a hater of his, but clearly he's good at self promotion and takes the view that no publicity is bad publicity.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:36 pm

Yes he is, and I'm not that bothered. Iwould just have rather seen the character brought to life on the screen properly than hijacked by an ego trip.
This has been discussed a lot but his physical attributes play a big part of his characterisation in the books, and there has long been reader discussions about who would portray him best.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:40 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Yes he is, and I'm not that bothered. Iwould just have rather seen the character brought to life on the screen properly than hijacked by an ego trip.
This has been discussed a lot but his physical attributes play a big part of his characterisation in the books, and there has long been reader discussions about who would portray him best.
I generally take the view that any film adaptation of a book I like will be terrible until proven otherwise...99% of the time I'm not proven otherwise....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:59 pm

^ had that very discussion today. Lass at work reckons the girl on the train film is as good as the book. I couldn't think of a time I'd ever heard that said before and I've never experienced it.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:54 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:^ had that very discussion today. Lass at work reckons the girl on the train film is as good as the book. I couldn't think of a time I'd ever heard that said before and I've never experienced it.
The English Patient, preferred the film.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:19 pm

:lol: oh my.

Tom Hanks will never be my Robert Langdon either.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:30 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:^ had that very discussion today. Lass at work reckons the girl on the train film is as good as the book. I couldn't think of a time I'd ever heard that said before and I've never experienced it.
certainly never heard it about that film, everything/body ive seen/heard has said the book is miles better.

racking my brains here to think of a film thats better than the book, but ive read so few books in comparison its hard, the ones i have have been nowhere near. Misery perhaps?

googled it. some films there i didnt even know were based on books, the only one mentioned that ive both read and seen is No Country For Old Men but i dont agree with that at all...

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:57 am

General Mannerheim wrote:
certainly never heard it about that film, everything/body ive seen/heard has said the book is miles better.

racking my brains here to think of a film thats better than the book, but ive read so few books in comparison its hard, the ones i have have been nowhere near. Misery perhaps?

googled it. some films there i didnt even know were based on books, the only one mentioned that ive both read and seen is No Country For Old Men but i dont agree with that at all...
The Godfather.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:46 pm

Prufrock wrote::lol: oh my.

Tom Hanks will never be my Robert Langdon either.
I'm sorry I'll try to shift it back to a more intellectual plane. :spank:
How did you fnd Day Lewis' portrayal of Tomas in the adaptation of Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being?

PS A bemulleted Hanks is perfect for Langdon. The pair of nice people.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Tom Hanks is THIS cool. :)

:pray:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Tom Hanks is THIS cool. :)

Jesus. It's not John Barnes and World in Motion but not bad. I did like Big to be fair, but don't really get the fuss about Tom Hanks.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:34 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Tom Hanks is THIS cool. :)

Jesus. It's not John Barnes and World in Motion but not bad. I did like Big to be fair, but don't really get the fuss about Tom Hanks.
I've never seen Big, although I have walked on some big piano keys that are in this toy shop up by The Lincoln Centre in New York, which I was told appear in the film. I'm just quite impressed that he could, at the drop of a hat and 28 years on, remember it perfectly. How many lines has he had to remember in all that time? Also, I thought that he was absolutely outstanding in Captain Phillips.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:36 pm

Not seen it.
I watched Eye In The Sky last night. Not brilliant, but tense and interesting.