What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:41 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:Started Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue on the train down to London on Sunday. Quite enjoyable so far.
Read it years ago. Thought it was excellent. Recently tried reading his history of America in the 20s but struggling to maintain interest in it.
Am about 10 pages from the end of Thunderbolt Kid. A superb read. I'm sure that many a lily was gilded in its creation, but a really good read, and very funny. Not sure which to do next: Shakespeare, At Home or Little Dribbling?!
Haa. Told ya !!

'Little Dribbling' is vg.

Shakespeare is good but barely 2 evening's read.

Frankly it's all good by him.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:49 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:Started Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue on the train down to London on Sunday. Quite enjoyable so far.
Read it years ago. Thought it was excellent. Recently tried reading his history of America in the 20s but struggling to maintain interest in it.
Am about 10 pages from the end of Thunderbolt Kid. A superb read. I'm sure that many a lily was gilded in its creation, but a really good read, and very funny. Not sure which to do next: Shakespeare, At Home or Little Dribbling?!
Haa. Told ya !!

'Little Dribbling' is vg.

Shakespeare is good but barely 2 evening's read.

Frankly it's all good by him.
Indeed. Just finished it. There's so much similarity between growing up Des Moines and growing up in Bolton. In Latvia next week so will try to do Shakespeare on the out and back.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:30 pm

That was my thought about the 'Thunderbolt Kid'. 6,000 miles, maybe a decade older but his childhood antics were damn near identical to mine. A real 'laugh out loud" book..
Last edited by bobo the clown on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:03 pm

bobo the clown wrote:That was my thought about the 'Thunderbolt Kid'. 6,000 miles, maybe a decade older but his childhood antics were damp near identical to mine. A real 'laugh out loud" book..
I'll tell you of a cracking book for a 'this was me growing up' read - The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman by Bruce Robinson. I'll lend it to you if you like, but you must read it.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:That was my thought about the 'Thunderbolt Kid'. 6,000 miles, maybe a decade older but his childhood antics were damp near identical to mine. A real 'laugh out loud" book..
I'll tell you of a cracking book for a 'this was me growing up' read - The Peculiar Memories of Thomas Penman by Bruce Robinson. I'll lend it to you if you like, but you must read it.
Do. I'd be happy to.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Boarding school, was it? :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:37 pm

Got about a third of the way through Little Dribbling today. Written in Bryson's usual entertainingly intelligent style, but up to now the books largely comprised tales of the demise of our town centres and local businesses. I could have told him that!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Got about a third of the way through Little Dribbling today. Written in Bryson's usual entertainingly intelligent style, but up to now the books largely comprised tales of the demise of our town centres and local businesses. I could have told him that!
But not half as well !!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:31 pm

I've read most of Michael Connelly's books but The Burning Room I'm reading now. Love Harry Bosch.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:20 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Got about a third of the way through Little Dribbling today. Written in Bryson's usual entertainingly intelligent style, but up to now the books largely comprised tales of the demise of our town centres and local businesses. I could have told him that!
But not half as well !!
Oh undoubtedly. Only I think that really appeals re Small Island is Bryson"s bewilderment at stuff we take for granted.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:02 pm

Just finished Agent of the State, a Security Service novel by Roger Pearce who was the former commander of Special Branch. Worth a read for the inside view on our security services, EM EYE FIVE/SIX (just in case they're tracking me)etc. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:04 am

I've just finished reading The Stone Man. Sci Fi novel set in the UK. Decentish read, intriguingly makes you wonder "what if", wasn't convinced by the ending though. Didn't seem to be setting it up for a sequel yet left some plot threads unresolved.

Starting a non fiction book next. Wild: From Lost to Found got recommended to me by Amazon at some point so giving it a go. I may regret it but I'll see how it goes! Trying to be open-minded :D.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Rjs37 wrote:Starting a non fiction book next. Wild: From Lost to Found got recommended to me by Amazon at some point so giving it a go. I may regret it but I'll see how it goes! Trying to be open-minded :D.
I was definitely not prepared for Chapter 1.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:11 pm

Rjs37 wrote:
Rjs37 wrote:Starting a non fiction book next. Wild: From Lost to Found got recommended to me by Amazon at some point so giving it a go. I may regret it but I'll see how it goes! Trying to be open-minded :D.
I was definitely not prepared for Chapter 1.
There's usually a page, that has Chapter 1 written on it. That's usually a fair indication, it's on its way. Glad to have been of service. :-)

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:18 pm

Rjs37 wrote:I've just finished reading The Stone Man. Sci Fi novel set in the UK. Decentish read, intriguingly makes you wonder "what if", wasn't convinced by the ending though. Didn't seem to be setting it up for a sequel yet left some plot threads unresolved.

Starting a non fiction book next. Wild: From Lost to Found got recommended to me by Amazon at some point so giving it a go. I may regret it but I'll see how it goes! Trying to be open-minded :D.
I think I recommended Wild on here, if not as a book then certainly the film version. With the possible exception of Bridge of Spies my favourite film of 2015.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:40 am

Dracula.
Bought an old kindle for my travels and downloaded a load of freebie classics. Enjoying it so far. Just finished Wells' The Time Machine which was also very good.
Sherlock Holmes next up.

Rjs37
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Rjs37 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:47 am

clapton is god wrote:I think I recommended Wild on here, if not as a book then certainly the film version. With the possible exception of Bridge of Spies my favourite film of 2015.
I'm definitely enjoying it so far, just not my typical sort of book. Probably will check out the film too once I'm done :).
Worthy4England wrote:There's usually a page, that has Chapter 1 written on it. That's usually a fair indication, it's on its way. Glad to have been of service. :-)
haha cheers! Though I was talking about the content within Chapter 1. It hit a little bit too close to home, and that came unexpectedly.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:00 am

clapton is god wrote:
I think I recommended Wild on here
Just ordered it on your say so. If it's shit................ so on and so forth ;)

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:49 am

Finished The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith last night. Part of a series of detective novels about a PI called Cormoran Strike as he solves weird deaths while the author namedrops every tube station in London. Not going to blow your mind but it's well paced, keeps you interested and thought the pay off was good. Ideal for a beach read, commuting or if you like whodunits.

Ended up googling who the author was while I read it, didn't realize it was JK Rowling's pseudonym!
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:36 am

anyone got a copy of High Fidelity knocking about?

been looking for Rob's top five records list from near the end but i can only find the film version on google....