What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LILYCOOL
Hopeful
Hopeful

hm....

Post by LILYCOOL » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:37 am

I enjoy reading fairy story.
I love FASHION BOOTS MOST.
Fantasy is the destination. Logic is the journey.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:50 pm

Winner's Dinners. Absolutely superb, and a thumb to the nose of any restaurateur that thinks the customer should fellate them in return for the privilege of being overcharged for poor service and poor food.

:pray:
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:04 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Just read the chapter 'Lunch with Bethany' in American Psycho.

Ouch - poor Bethany!
Love that book.

Am about to finish "From Russia With Love" and will then make a start on the Red Riding Quadrilogy I got for Xmas

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:19 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:Just read the chapter 'Lunch with Bethany' in American Psycho.

Ouch - poor Bethany!
Love that book.

Am about to finish "From Russia With Love" and will then make a start on the Red Riding Quadrilogy I got for Xmas
is that the one with the three bears? and are you suggesting there was a fourth??? :shock:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Just before Christmas i finally finished Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels, which has lingered on the Shelf of Shame for about ten years.

It is dense, poetic, lyrical, emotionally powerful, sad and, in the end, places its hope -as ever - in the redemptive power of love to overcome the pain, barbartity and cruelty of a lifetime's journey - in this case, for her central character, who is a Polish Jew who, at the age of six, loses, in a Nazi atrocity, his parents and, closest of all, his sister Bella who haunts him throughout a long life.

It is a very tough and very beautiful book, that i kept laying down until i found spaces in my life to give it the concentration it really requires. You have to like 'literary' fiction to stay with this - but I know that I'll read it again - maybe ten years on. But it is now shifted from the shelf of shame!

Next up - Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. But not tonight. Tonight I'm at the Reebok. COYW!!!
Last edited by William the White on Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:59 pm

William the White wrote:
Next up - Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh. But not tonight. Tonight I'm at the Reebok. COYW!!!
...reading Gary Megson's programme notes? ...dense, poetic, lyrical, emotionally powerful, sad and, in the end, places its hope -as ever - in blind luck!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:01 pm

thebish wrote:
William the White wrote:
...reading Gary Megson's programme notes? ...dense, poetic, lyrical, emotionally powerful, sad and, in the end, places its hope -as ever - in blind luck!
I only have to watch his football to know that he is a poetry-free zone... :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:42 pm

bought the missus "Story of the Scene: The Inside Scoop on Famous Moments in Film" by Roger Clarke - which "takes a famous movie moment - such as the Singin' in the Rain dance sequence, the Alien eruption scene or the 'you talkin' to me?' Taxi Driver sequence - and tells the unique story of the circumstances of its creation."

anyway - browsed it myself...

did you know... the famous motorbike scene at the end of the Great Escape - Steve McQueen was just too good a motorcyclist for the "Germans" even to keep up - so for parts of the scene he was actually the pursuer rather than the pursued...

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Took some of the Christmas books on holiday with me. Steig Larsson's 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' was fantastic. The other one I took was 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre which turned out to be an interesting piece little light revision for the holidays! Both worth a look!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:54 pm

jimbo wrote:Took some of the Christmas books on holiday with me. Steig Larsson's 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' was fantastic. The other one I took was 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre which turned out to be an interesting piece little light revision for the holidays! Both worth a look!

good stuff -am waiting for the third to appear in paperback

bad science -also a great read!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Just ordered Jeffery Bernard is Unwell, recommended by a pal, and Soho Society, recommended by the guy that wrote it!
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:53 pm

Having had enough of the Turkish delightfuls flooding of the Trotters forum, I return to the current reading. Richard dawkins, The God Delusion. Picked it up almost without thought the other day, and found myself reading with concentration.

Good stuff.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:50 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:

Ouch - poor Bethany!
Love that book.

Jesus Christ - Bethany had it pretty easy compared to poor Torri & Tiffany!!!

never thought it possible to squirm so much at just words!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:04 pm

\\bought a copy of 'when saturday comes' for my train journey yesterday.

Never read it before, though I'll probably end up getting every copy from now on. Absolutely brilliant read from cover to cover.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:15 pm

thebish wrote:
jimbo wrote:Took some of the Christmas books on holiday with me. Steig Larsson's 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' was fantastic. The other one I took was 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre which turned out to be an interesting piece little light revision for the holidays! Both worth a look!

good stuff -am waiting for the third to appear in paperback

bad science -also a great read!
I heard the Larsson trilogy recommended somewhere on the radio so decided to give it a go and am glad I did. I ordered the second one off amazon today along with a couple of text books. I wonder which of those will get read first!?

Also, 'The Road' has been mentioned on here loads and like many I loved it. Noticed the film is out next week. Anyone planning on seeing it? Think I'll wait a while and see what sort of reception it gets............

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:57 pm

My Shit Life So Far by Frankie Boyle

Ace 8)
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:00 am

Verbal wrote:\\bought a copy of 'when saturday comes' for my train journey yesterday.

Never read it before, though I'll probably end up getting every copy from now on. Absolutely brilliant read from cover to cover.
I've been a subscriber for quite a long while.

Several on this forum have written for it... I'm one, others can id if they wish...

Nearest thing we have to a national voice for supporters...

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 am

William the White wrote:
Verbal wrote:\\bought a copy of 'when saturday comes' for my train journey yesterday.

I've been a subscriber for quite a long while.

Several on this forum have written for it... I'm one, others can id if they wish...

Nearest thing we have to a national voice for supporters...
Can anyone write for it? Is it like a comment is free or something? Quite like to have a go at that...
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:02 am

In view of Mr Coyle's arrival at the club I thought I'd best do a bit of revision of the language of the Scots. So I've pulled down from my shelves my copy of John Buchan's Witch Wood which is full of wonderful Scot talk. The problem is that the book, being printed of course, gives no real indication of pronunciation and I suspect that I'm wasting my time. I've had a quick shufti to see if there's a Scottish/English dictionary available in my neck of the woods - one with a glossary of terms would be handy - but to no avail.

Perhaps I'd be better typing out stereotypical managerial comments and finding some willing Scot to translate them, phonetically, for me?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:46 am

Superfreakonomics by Levitt & Dubner.