What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by clapton is god » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Back in October I signed up on audible.com. I'd previously listened to about half a dozen audio books on CD and always enjoyed them, particularly in the car on long journeys, so this seemed like a good next move. It's a basic £8 a month which gets you one book and additional books are then often cheeper if you buy the Kindle version and then the audio version as well - Whispernet sorts out where you are up to on each device and keeps them synched together.

Since then I have bought about a dozen books and love listening to them. I am well and truly hooked! I have finished the first two of Ken Folletts 'Century' trilogy, and have the third lined up, and have more recently listened to Everest 1953, which is a Boys Own adventure on that epic climb. Loads of stuff I didn't know about the expedition. I'm currently about half way though Mario Puzo's The Godfather, which is marvellous stuff. Each book is a performance, similar to listening to a play.

Free 30 day trial on Amazon if anyone fancies giving it a whirl.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:39 pm

James Lee Burke I can relate with Clapton's view. They're good, but unlike some others like Connelly, Rankin, Jardine and Lee Child, I wouldn't ever want a re-read. (I finished the latest Jack Reacher "Personal" not long back and also Never Go Back, and re-read The Affair

Harry Bosch is a firm favourite and I've also read all R.B.Parker's Spencer novels and two of his westerns: Appaloosa and Resolution (got Appaloosa with Ed Harris and Vigo Mortensen on D.V.D and it's excellent.) Just starterd James Patterson's Mistress .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:47 pm

clapton is god wrote: I'm currently about half way though Mario Puzo's The Godfather, which is marvellous stuff. Each book is a performance, similar to listening to a play.
Free 30 day trial on Amazon if anyone fancies giving it a whirl.
I must be one of the few dinosaurs left on the planet who still owns a video player. A few weeks back I bought Godfather I,II & III videos in brand new condition for £1-50 at a Charity shop. Don't think the assistant could believe her eyes, nobody buys these things any more it seems. My good luck. :D

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:32 am

i feel like that buying dvd's! saw Alpha Papa in Tesco for £3 the other day. thought i might as well have it.

went to put it on, turns out the dvd player went in the loft ages ago!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:31 pm

Finally! I finished Monsarrat's Richer Than All His Tribe. After a rather laborious start it turned into a decent sort of yarn but included interludes which, other than peripherally, didn't add much to the story line. The novel follows the fortunes of a mythical African country as it moves from dependency to independence after years of British rule as a protectorate. There are parallels with other African countries which have experienced the same process - which is the main thrust of the book. Whilst it's a bit jerky over all, Monsarrat does present a reasonably acceptable description of such an event. I wouldn't recommend anyone to rush out and buy the book, but if it's available at your local library then by all means borrow it and then return it when you get bored.

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penumbras-24-Ho ... +bookstore" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This am really enjoying it, will let reviews their from brighter sparks than me explain it :)

And this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fugitives-Fores ... the+forest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mankind's vile acts of evil are unbelievable at times
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Robert Goddard's Blood Count (with a tiny disturbed feeling I may have read it before)?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 pm

Just in the middle of reading my (signed hardback 8) ) copy of Alan Johnson's biography.

Very human, very engaging, very enjoyable.

It was that or Boris Johnson's waffle about Churchill. I think I asked for the right present.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:24 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Robert Goddard's Blood Count (with a tiny disturbed feeling I may have read it before)?
Like me with movies these days! I watch everything for the first time every time.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:40 pm

Just finished John Le Carre's " A Delicate Truth". Cracking, as ever. Who does shady dealings at the Foreign Office better?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:35 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Robert Goddard's Blood Count (with a tiny disturbed feeling I may have read it before)?
Like me with movies these days! I watch everything for the first time every time.
Dunno how. They're all remakes of remakes or part 6 or 7 with 99% of the story line of the previous 5 or 6.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:07 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Just in the middle of reading my (signed hardback 8) ) copy of Alan Johnson's biography.

Very human, very engaging, very enjoyable.

It was that or Boris Johnson's waffle about Churchill. I think I asked for the right present.
remember when he put us in the lead at Ipswich right before the Barry Knight show! also his missed penalty in the semi final...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:49 am

rather topically - I am currently reading "January Window" - about a coach at a Premier League club and a murder!!
blurb wrote:Scott Manson is team coach for London City football club. He's also their all-round fixer - he gets the lads in to training, and out of trouble, keeps the wags at bay and the press in his pocket. The players love him, the bosses trust him.

But now London City manager Joao Zarco is dead, killed at his team's beloved stadium at Silvertown Docks. Even Scott Manson can't smooth over murder... but can he catch the killer before he strikes again?

Set in the glamorous but corrupt world of Premier League football, this is a gripping thriller from a bestselling crimewriter.
it's not particularly well-written - but is interesting because of its setting! It mentions real players and people alongside this made-up team (where a few small London clubs were bought up and amalgamated by a russian oligarch...)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:53 pm

Just about to re-visit an old classic after a long absence: Erskine Childers-Riddle of the Sands.. published in 1903. Old-style derring do. :)

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:44 am

being a big fan of his film work (his tv work less so) i bought that Richard Ayoade book after i read santa sent a copy to bish on another thread.

i had to sack it off after about 50 pages, the whole interviewing himself format did my head in. the joke wore thin very quickly and he is just talking uninteresting bollocks.

left it on a train.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Finished 'No Country for Old Men this morning.

Great book. Very melancholic. And brilliantly written. And violent when it needs to be.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:43 pm

Got The Constant Gardener to start shortly.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:44 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:Finished 'No Country for Old Men this morning.

Great book. Very melancholic. And brilliantly written. And violent when it needs to be.
Love it. McCarthy is just about the greatest living writer I can think of. His earlier works are incredibly dark and violent. Have you read All The Pretty Horses? He started to lighten up at that point.

I'm on Police, the latest novel in Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series. Only just started though.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:38 am

Just bought no country on Amazon for 1p plus £2.80 postage.

Hope to have more joy than the Ayodae one...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:46 am

General Mannerheim wrote:Just bought no country on Amazon for 1p plus £2.80 postage.

Hope to have more joy than the Ayodae one...
not the book for you if you're looking for joy!! :D