What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:07 pm

Let us know how you get on with it, Tango. I'm convinced you'll love it, and it gets better throughout the book.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Let us know how you get on with it, Tango. I'm convinced you'll love it, and it gets better throughout the book.
Will do.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:31 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Let us know how you get on with it, Tango. I'm convinced you'll love it, and it gets better throughout the book.
Finished and enjoyed. I got a bit disenchanted with too many Courtney Novels and like wise with the Egyptian Pharoah stuff. Too much of a good thing really, but these one-offs, rather than continuing sagas, are brilliant. The Sunbird and Eagle in the Sky will always be my favourite Smiths, but this was up there. Thanks for the reco.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:34 am

Ben Elton's Time and Time Again is a belter of a ripping yarn with lots of twists and turns that you don't see coming! Really enjoyed that.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:35 am

clapton is god wrote:Ben Elton's Time and Time Again is a belter of a ripping yarn with lots of twists and turns that you don't see coming! Really enjoyed that.
blimey - Ben Elton! I'd totally forgotten about him! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:41 am

Ploughing my way through Bryson's "Road to Little Dribbling". That's so I can get stuck into Bob Harris' " The Wispering Years" asap.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:42 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Finished and enjoyed. I got a bit disenchanted with too many Courtney Novels and like wise with the Egyptian Pharoah stuff. Too much of a good thing really, but these one-offs, rather than continuing sagas, are brilliant. The Sunbird and Eagle in the Sky will always be my favourite Smiths, but this was up there. Thanks for the reco.
Crikey that was quick :shock:

You're welcome - chuffed that you liked it. I have The Sunbird yet to read in one of those two-for-one jobbies along with The Dark Of The Sun. Have you read that too? If so - any good?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: I have The Sunbird yet to read in one of those two-for-one jobbies along with The Dark Of The Sun. Have you read that too? If so - any good?
Indeed I have and yes, another good read. It was followed up by a very decent film version with Rod Taylor. Kenneth More was in it too. Quite a few years back now. Waiting eagerly for your verdict on The Sunbird. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: I have The Sunbird yet to read in one of those two-for-one jobbies along with The Dark Of The Sun. Have you read that too? If so - any good?
Indeed I have and yes, another good read. It was followed up by a very decent film version with Rod Taylor. Kenneth More was in it too. Quite a few years back now. Waiting eagerly for your verdict on The Sunbird. :)
OK, I'll shuffle my reading order around and get on it. :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Just read The Heist by Daniel Silva, a decent novel based around art theft. I enjoyed it.

ps: No connection with the current Robert de Niro film of the same name

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:42 pm

Back to classics time. Dumas's The Three Musketeers.. A Will Hobson translation

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Anyway, this evening I've bought Danny Baker's autobiography - Going To Sea In A Sieve. Proper looking forward to getting stuck into it.
you read the follow up yet? im halfway through it. terrific read...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:09 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Anyway, this evening I've bought Danny Baker's autobiography - Going To Sea In A Sieve. Proper looking forward to getting stuck into it.
you read the follow up yet? im halfway through it. terrific read...
I haven't yet, General. It's sat here waiting.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Just read Michael Connelly's first Mickey Haller novel, The Lincoln Lawyer. Wasn't sure if it would live up to his Bosch series, but it did. Great crime writer.
Now on Richard Russo's Empire Falls, which I'm really enjoying. No plot as such, just character based small-town america stuff but very well written and won a pullitzer in the 90s.
Also reading Six Years a mystery by Harlan Coben, nothing special but a good read

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:19 pm

LeverEnd wrote:Just read Michael Connelly's first Mickey Haller novel, The Lincoln Lawyer. Wasn't sure if it would live up to his Bosch series, but it did. Great crime writer.
Connelly is a really top notch novel writer. I read The Fifth Witness ( another Mickey Haller novel) a few weeks back.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:25 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:Just read Michael Connelly's first Mickey Haller novel, The Lincoln Lawyer. Wasn't sure if it would live up to his Bosch series, but it did. Great crime writer.
Connelly is a really top notch novel writer. I read The Fifth Witness ( another Mickey Haller novel) a few weeks back.
I'm now on Bosch 13 I think, and am catching up. The Overlook next, then The Brass Verdict with Bosch and Haller linking up. Have you ever read James Lee Burke's series featuring Detective Dave Robicheaux? He's a great writer, there's al lot more to read apart from that series. Jesus Out To Sea for example, stunning colection of short stories.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 pm

^ Yes, I've read a lot of James Lee Burke stuff. Robicheaux and his mate Clete are a real pair. I really liked Jolie Blon's Bounce. A complex character is Dave Robicheaux

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:51 am

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/j ... -of-bosnia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chilling long read from the Guardian
Very chilling.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:21 am

Still struggling through the Terry Pratchett and Stephen Brook's The Long Earth series. Getting to the end of The Long Mars only to find there are 2 further books in the series.

I have to finish them because they're there, but I'm not enjoying them at all.

If you want a good sci-fi series to read can I recommend NOT this? Instead read Stephen Donaldson's 'Gap' series. Much more enjoyable.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:12 am

Started the latest Jon Ronson book, does this chapter about Jonah Lehrer ever end!?