What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Bijou Bob » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Will Storr's 'Supernatural'. I'm at the end of chapter one and sh*tting myself already.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:03 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:Will Storr's 'Supernatural'. I'm at the end of chapter one and sh*tting myself already.
Does chapter two involve a cost?
May the bridges I burn light your way

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Bijou Bob wrote:Will Storr's 'Supernatural'. I'm at the end of chapter one and sh*tting myself already.
Does chapter two involve a cost?
:lol: :lol:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:04 pm

Almost half-way through Catch-22 at the moment and I'm loving it. Took a good few chapters for me to get a proper taste of what it's really about. Before that, I found the characters irritating and everything nonsensical. Now I'm seeing the value in the nonsense. Very enjoyable.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:13 pm

It's a cracker. Dunbar is possibly my favourite minor character ever.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Had a couple of books recommended to me by a very reliable source - The Seven Days of Peter Crumb by Jonny Glynn & Three Craws by James Yorkston.

Anyone familiar with either of them?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Just finished one I didn't know about; Willim Boyd's "Solo", a modern author's version of a James Bond novel. Ths is Ian Fleming's James Bond as he was before becoming the Daniel Craig modern style hero. Boyd has Bond born Fleming style in 1924 and in his mid forties at the time of this book's action. A very believable original 007. Enjoyed it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:28 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Just finished one I didn't know about; Willim Boyd's "Solo", a modern author's version of a James Bond novel. Ths is Ian Fleming's James Bond as he was before becoming the Daniel Craig modern style hero. Boyd has Bond born Fleming style in 1924 and in his mid forties at the time of this book's action. A very believable original 007. Enjoyed it.
I'll have a look at that. Read and enjoyed Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks but not read any other modern ones.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:44 am

let us know when you finish it so we can discuss...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:57 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Just finished one I didn't know about; Willim Boyd's "Solo", a modern author's version of a James Bond novel. Ths is Ian Fleming's James Bond as he was before becoming the Daniel Craig modern style hero. Boyd has Bond born Fleming style in 1924 and in his mid forties at the time of this book's action. A very believable original 007. Enjoyed it.
I'll have a look at that. Read and enjoyed Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks but not read any other modern ones.
Hi, L.E. I'll freely admit nostalgia plays a major part in my James Bond reading. I've tried a couple of modern authors like Kingsley Amis and Anthony Horowitz (I mentioned one of his not long ago on here) but Bond was a man of an era and too many of the things, habits, attitudes etc that made his Fleming character are forever gone along with his vintage Bentley and imported cigarettes. "Solo" goes back to that era/style James Bond and that gave it points right off for me. Like all fictional (or otherwise) heroes, he has to age and can't live forever - Colin Dexter admitted this was the case when killing off Inspector Morse- and anything about Bond has to go back to another era for realism. Daniel Craig is an excellent spy and realistic "blunt-instrument" assassin, but they should have given him a character and name in keeping with today and not tried to make a modern hero of someone born in 1924 (except if he was a runner called Wilson, of course) :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:29 pm

"Modern author" Kingsley Amis?! Jesus TD, you are old aren't you :D?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:28 pm

about time that books got with the times!! :D

"In a bid to bring the paperback book into the 21st century, publishers have announced they will now feature a comments section at the back."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:"Modern author" Kingsley Amis?! Jesus TD, you are old aren't you :D?
All right, all right, more "recent" authors then ie those who had a go at Bond since Ian Fleming (born 1908) died. Amis (born 1922) was a mere youngster. His attempt was crap anyway.. :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:04 pm

Finished a very decent novel last night. Spy Games by Adam Brookes is well thought out work and based around international themes in the spy game. More Le Carre then Ian Fleming. Good plot and enjoyable reading. I'm going to look out for his other book, Night Heron as both have really good reviews.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:11 pm

Just finished The Perfect Crime, written by journalist, Tom Parry from The Mirror. It's an account of what happened, who may have carried it out and on whose possible instruction in relation to the murders of three members (and the attempted murder of one of their infant daughter by pistol-whipping) of the al-Hilli family from Surrey and that of a French cyclist in the French Alps in 2012. The French Police don't come out of it very well at all, neither does Mr al-Hilli's brother (the only person who stood to gain massively from what happened and gives a shambolic interview - and he refuses to go to France for questioning).

A very interesting read but be warned, some of the descriptions given are quite graphic.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Just finished The Perfect Crime, written by journalist, Tom Parry from The Mirror.
Have you read this one yet?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/o ... withnail-i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Little Green Man wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Just finished The Perfect Crime, written by journalist, Tom Parry from The Mirror.
Have you read this one yet?

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/o ... withnail-i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers, Wee Greenie. No I haven't, but I will.

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Thu May 05, 2016 2:01 pm

I finished 'Lolita' yesterday but I'm unsure what to say about it for now. Beautifully written.

Now I'm on 'If on a Winter's Night a Traveler' by Italo Calvino. Love his short stories, so I thought I'd give this a bash; I'm enjoying the second-person and the meta-ness of it, so far.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu May 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Ha, yes, Lolita is incredible but hard to know how to start talking about it. Disgusting that someone could write so well in a second language.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri May 06, 2016 1:40 am

Prufrock wrote:Ha, yes, Lolita is incredible but hard to know how to start talking about it. Disgusting that someone could write so well in a second language.
I see what you did there. Next you'll be telling me you like Brasseye's paedogeddon is funny YOU FIEND!