Anti-Speed Camera Petition

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat May 17, 2008 8:27 am

Dujon wrote:I can't understand the rationale behind complaints about speed cameras. In fact - at least in this country - I laugh at those who object to them even when they are signposted. How dumb can you be getting snapped by a camera with a sign announcing its presence? All I can guess is that there are far too many inattentive drivers on our roads.

Whilst I agree that many speed restriction zones are somewhat conservative and that zones change so quickly it's a major task to keep up with them at times, it is still no excuse to exceed them. As far as I'm concerned the authorities can put up speed cameras wherever they like, signed or unsigned, and reap the benefits from those too stupid to take note.

About ten years ago I owned an electronics store situated in my local town centre and which was located on a major highway. One day I noticed a speed camera set up. So, being a bit of a noseyparker, I tuned a radio scanner to the frequency I knew the police used for such operations and monitored it until they left. It was about 45 minutes of exquisite delight. The speed limit through the area was 60 Km/h. It was obvious that the officers were allowing some leeway as no one was pulled over for travelling at less than 70 Km/h. They had a ball. One idiot was clocked at over 80 Km/h.

Whine all you like, but these are the people with whom you share the road and who hurtle past you whilst you enjoy your morning stroll or attempt to shepherd your children across a pedestrian crossing. As far as I'm concerned they deserve everything they get.

You seem to have this idea that you are either a speeding motorist that drives like a dick all the time or you are not. I drive in the UK alone 25,000 miles a year and despite the upsurge in these devices have a clean licence, and this is what I'm getting at. I consider myself to be a very conservative motorist but me and my ilk are still good for X x £60 or so here and there for the coffers, not because we need to wind our motoring necks in. Habitual speeding idiots deserve all they've got coming.

No-one is complaining about these things being placed in areas that are even semi built-up, certainly anywhere near pedestrians and even where there's only the slightest of accident risks, most encourage their sitings in such places. Motorist's beef is more to do with unmarked cameras and mobile vans etc in areas that represent no danger whatsoever and through which the motorist is simply being targeted as a means of additional revenue.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 17, 2008 11:00 am

I'm not entirely against speed cameras around traffic accident blackspots etc. I do think in a lot of this though, all the fines etc. are targeted at motorists, just because they're an easy nick - Camera takes picture, processes the ticket automatically and flirts out a bill. Bugger all people involved. There's no fines at all targeted at numpty pedestrians - why? because people don't have licence plates. How about fining people for jaywalking, crossing the carriageway, when there's a pedestrian crossing 10 yards away etc. Noooo that's never going to work, because someone would have to take their details and manually process the bugger.

Bastards the lot of 'em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat May 17, 2008 4:47 pm

they are not a particular money spinner for the police/government/HMRC. Their positioning is questionable but based on their being 3 incidents involving injury to a person, unfortunately they don't need to have involved vehicles.

At the end of the day we know the rules and while I fully accept Bruce's "speed doesn't mean dangerous all the time" argument, we know that we're not supposed to speed and where all the cameras are these days thanks to SatNav and maps with them on.

It's the shady feck* in vans on bridges over the motorway and unmarked police cars that piss me off.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun May 18, 2008 11:44 am

communistworkethic wrote: It's the shady feck in vans on bridges over the motorway and unmarked police cars that piss me off.
The M74 (A74M) springing, nay leaping to mind.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 18, 2008 1:12 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dujon wrote:I can't understand the rationale behind complaints about speed cameras. In fact - at least in this country - I laugh at those who object to them even when they are signposted. How dumb can you be getting snapped by a camera with a sign announcing its presence? All I can guess is that there are far too many inattentive drivers on our roads.

Whilst I agree that many speed restriction zones are somewhat conservative and that zones change so quickly it's a major task to keep up with them at times, it is still no excuse to exceed them. As far as I'm concerned the authorities can put up speed cameras wherever they like, signed or unsigned, and reap the benefits from those too stupid to take note.

About ten years ago I owned an electronics store situated in my local town centre and which was located on a major highway. One day I noticed a speed camera set up. So, being a bit of a noseyparker, I tuned a radio scanner to the frequency I knew the police used for such operations and monitored it until they left. It was about 45 minutes of exquisite delight. The speed limit through the area was 60 Km/h. It was obvious that the officers were allowing some leeway as no one was pulled over for travelling at less than 70 Km/h. They had a ball. One idiot was clocked at over 80 Km/h.

Whine all you like, but these are the people with whom you share the road and who hurtle past you whilst you enjoy your morning stroll or attempt to shepherd your children across a pedestrian crossing. As far as I'm concerned they deserve everything they get.

near where i live back at home, which is up towards Rivington, i have lost count of the number of times i see flowers for boy racers who have killed themselves doing stupid speeds. after numerous requests and petitions there is still no speed camera's because the area is not built up. yet along this road there are houses with children, in some cases only one house with no others nearby, but every life counts, human life is not a comodity, and no amout of debate is going to convince me a single person should die just so people can get where they are going a bit quicker.

as for hidden camera's i do not understand that argument. i don't drive so obviously i have different views, but if you dont have them, whats the point in a speed limit, just have unlimited everywhere apart from the occasional camera which is marked clearly 5 miles before, then 1 mile then 500 yards. Speed limit's are the law, you cant just decide you are obeying some and not others. and they are put there for a reason. if you disagree with one, then write a letter, an email get a petition sorted to try to change it, but you cant just obey some laws and not others. If you went to a house to buy crack cocaine, and got busted by the police because it was a set up, you wouldnt start complaining that somebody should have marked this drug dealer beforehand so you were warned would you?

You seem to have this idea that you are either a speeding motorist that drives like a dick all the time or you are not. I drive in the UK alone 25,000 miles a year and despite the upsurge in these devices have a clean licence, and this is what I'm getting at. I consider myself to be a very conservative motorist but me and my ilk are still good for X x £60 or so here and there for the coffers, not because we need to wind our motoring necks in. Habitual speeding idiots deserve all they've got coming.

No-one is complaining about these things being placed in areas that are even semi built-up, certainly anywhere near pedestrians and even where there's only the slightest of accident risks, most encourage their sitings in such places. Motorist's beef is more to do with unmarked cameras and mobile vans etc in areas that represent no danger whatsoever and through which the motorist is simply being targeted as a means of additional revenue.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon May 19, 2008 12:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:You seem to have this idea that you are either a speeding motorist that drives like a dick all the time or you are not. . . .
Not at all, Bruce, but many are. <muse> I often wonder how many drivers cause accidents but are not involved in them. </muse> I saw some figures in the paper - official ones - which showed the revenue raised by some of the fixed speed cameras around Sydney. The sums involved for individual cameras were enormous. Why? All the cameras involved have huge signs warning of their presence for heaven's sake.

Don't get me wrong, I've done silly things over the years (particularly as a young man) but mostly not illegal, just plain stupid. There are times when I ponder on my indiscretions that I thank my lucky stars that I'm still alive. I have also been involved in accidents but, even in my heart of hearts, I can honestly say that only one was my fault. For that incident I was charged with negligent driving and pleaded guilty, took the penalty, and learned from the experience. Fortunately I didn't injure anyone - if I had done so I don't know how I would have felt, but it certainly wouldn't have been pleasant and I most assuredly wouldn't have forgiven myself.

The things I have absorbed over the years are defensive driving (which essentially means treat everyone else on, and off, the road as an idiot and act accordingly) and simplest of all, drive to the conditions. I have been a licensed driver for 47 years and have - even with my faults - managed to get booked for speeding once. As I have already pointed out, my history shows that I'm no angel. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I doubt it. Mind you, in my territory in my early years of driving there was only a prima facie case that could be mounted against a driver, as on 'unrestricted' roads there was no official speed limit and even then the p-f limit was a supposed 70 mph. Ah the delights (not) of driving from Sydney to Gunnedah (300 road miles) in 4 hrs 17 minutes after I slept in one fine Monday morning. No, no freeways or motorways in those days. Crikey, did I get a bollocking from my manager - I was relieving 2IC and held the keys to the safe. Told you I was stupid. :oops:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon May 19, 2008 7:50 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

oops sorry Bruce i whacked my point in the middle of the quote :oops:

near where i live back at home, which is up towards Rivington, i have lost count of the number of times i see flowers for boy racers who have killed themselves doing stupid speeds. after numerous requests and petitions there is still no speed camera's because the area is not built up. yet along this road there are houses with children, in some cases only one house with no others nearby, but every life counts, human life is not a comodity, and no amout of debate is going to convince me a single person should die just so people can get where they are going a bit quicker.

as for hidden camera's i do not understand that argument. i don't drive so obviously i have different views, but if you dont have them, whats the point in a speed limit, just have unlimited everywhere apart from the occasional camera which is marked clearly 5 miles before, then 1 mile then 500 yards. Speed limit's are the law, you cant just decide you are obeying some and not others. and they are put there for a reason. if you disagree with one, then write a letter, an email get a petition sorted to try to change it, but you cant just obey some laws and not others. If you went to a house to buy crack cocaine, and got busted by the police because it was a set up, you wouldnt start complaining that somebody should have marked this drug dealer beforehand so you were warned would you?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed May 21, 2008 2:58 pm

prufrock, I'd suggest those flowers are for Power Rangers, not car owners. I use the a65 regularly - skipton -kendal route, lots of lowers and holes in dry-stone walls, none created by cars, all down to Power Rangers.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed May 21, 2008 3:24 pm

communistworkethic wrote:prufrock, I'd suggest those flowers are for Power Rangers, not car owners. I use the a65 regularly - skipton -kendal route, lots of lowers and holes in dry-stone walls, none created by cars, all down to Power Rangers.
Power Rangers :mrgreen:

I'll never be able to get that mental image out of my head now...
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.