Piss poor Comedians

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Rated R Superstar wrote:Not really in the spirit of this thread :wink: But saw Jason Manford on Friday, enjoyed it a lot. Met him briefly afterwards, he's a top bloke.
Glad you enjoyed it, fella. The people that went from work thoroughly enjoyed it, too. They also said that he was a top bloke and hung around for photo's and whatnot after the show. Really good to hear.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:32 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:Lennie Bennett

Jo Brand
I hate her. Being fat, and being a woman dont make you funny you daft bitch! Stop telling us, we can see your fat, your obviously a woman stop keep saying it AAAAARGHHH!!!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:Lennie Bennett

Jo Brand
I hate her. Being fat, and being a woman dont make you funny you daft bitch! Stop telling us, we can see your fat, your obviously a woman stop keep saying it AAAAARGHHH!!!
She looks like John Sargent in drag!
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:00 pm

Jack Dee anyone? The miserable twxt persona wasn't funny 15 years ago and things have gone downhill since.
Businesswoman of the year.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Just seen a Ricky Gervais 'standup' programme

jesus christ, god awful

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:46 pm

Phil Jupitus wants gassing.

But I don't think we could afford the bill.

Jo Brand - what is she famous for?
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Who thinks Ross Noble is funny? He's on the telly right now.

Not a titter.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 am

Graham Norton and Alan Carr can both get to feck, acting gay and making everything into innuendo is NOT funny.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:33 am

Luna wrote:Graham Norton and Alan Carr can both get to feck, acting gay and making everything into innuendo is NOT funny.
I saw Alan Carr at a uni comedy gig a few years back it he was brilliant. That was a good few years back.

Since he's been on TV he's gone down hill and is just playing up to a stereotype now. Shame, because he is wet your pants funny. Well, used to be.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:53 pm

Luna wrote:Graham Norton and Alan Carr can both get to feck, acting gay and making everything into innuendo is NOT funny.
it may have escaped you but neither is acting
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:40 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Yeah, what I meant to say was the extent of their act is 100% pandering to the gay stereotype.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:19 am

course they are. their sexual orientation does not mean they have to behave with an over the top ridiculous camp attitude and as my mum unfortunately yet brilliantly said once 'ram it down your throat'. They may not by lying when they say they are gay, but they are certainly playing up to a bad bad stereotype.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
course they are. their sexual orientation does not mean they have to behave with an over the top ridiculous camp attitude and as my mum unfortunately yet brilliantly said once 'ram it down your throat'. They may not by lying when they say they are gay, but they are certainly playing up to a bad bad stereotype.
you should get out more and stp reading the Mail & Express. If you think the effeminate way they have is an act and really they have deep voices and talk like builders you're a little bit misguided. Gay men come in all shapes and sizes (don't even go there) some are camp, some are straight acting. I know plenty of both.

The fact that they use it to their advantage and some people find it funny is just tough shit for you. They are not Duncan Norvelle. They are doing nothing different to Larry Grayson, John Inman, Liberace or half a dozen other gay comedians over the past 30 years. The fact that it offends or upsets you is your problem so it's up to you to deal with it. Go watch Paddy McGuinness live - his act is based on him fecking the women in the audience in one of the least funny and mysoginistic piece of shit performances I've ever had the displeasure to witness, yet apparently that's ok becuase he's straight?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:07 am

Two words follow on from commie's post - 'Bernard Manning'

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:05 am

Prufrock wrote:
you should get out more and stp reading the Mail & Express. If you think the effeminate way they have is an act and really they have deep voices and talk like builders you're a little bit misguided. Gay men come in all shapes and sizes (don't even go there) some are camp, some are straight acting. I know plenty of both.

The fact that they use it to their advantage and some people find it funny is just tough shit for you. They are not Duncan Norvelle. They are doing nothing different to Larry Grayson, John Inman, Liberace or half a dozen other gay comedians over the past 30 years. The fact that it offends or upsets you is your problem so it's up to you to deal with it. Go watch Paddy McGuinness live - his act is based on him fecking the women in the audience in one of the least funny and mysoginistic piece of shit performances I've ever had the displeasure to witness, yet apparently that's ok becuase he's straight?
Most of it isn't an act, but I find some of it irritating and unnecessary. In hospital on Wednesday I encountered a nurse who was as camp as christmas mincing round the wards whilst everything he said was laden with inuendo followed by a high pitch giggle. Left some patients feeling fairly uncomfortable. Surely he can 'tone it down' a bit in a situation like that?

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:18 am

ratbert wrote:Two words follow on from commie's post - 'Bernard Manning'
I watched a video of a Bernard Manning a couple of years ago, and the thing that struck me most was that most of his jokes weren't offensive - they were just a bit crap. It was as though someone had filmed me and a bunch of mates in a pub making poor puns, and occasionally coming out with "A bloke walks into a pub..."
And I want something more from comedians than that. Either that, or I want to make a living from it...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:48 pm

Prufrock wrote:

my point is that the fact they are gay doesnt make them camp. i know straight people who are camp, and gay people who arent. i have a gay friend who DESPISES Graham Norton because he feels it creates pressure for an already marginalised section of society to act in an way unnatural to them. My problem with Alan Carr and Graham Norton is no that they are camp - i personally find it annoying, but thats just taste - its the way they continually link the fact that they are gay, to the fact they are camp. It makes people feel pressured to behave in a way that they wouldnt normally because Graham Norton and the like have created the idea that this is how gay people behave. You could argue it's not so much their fault, as the fact that there dont seem to be many openly gay, non-camp people around in showbusisness.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:44 pm

A gay lad I live with hates 'gay' people too like Messers Carr and Norton

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:51 pm

Anyone been to see the Steve Coogan tour on at the moment? Went last night and it was pretty average. Huge disappointment.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:53 pm

jimbo wrote:Anyone been to see the Steve Coogan tour on at the moment? Went last night and it was pretty average. Huge disappointment.
You see, I wanted to go with every ounce of my being, but then I thought.. No, I don't want anything to sour the love I have for Paul Calf and Alan Partridge, so chose not to in the end. Wise choice??