The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:05 pm

^^scary people. Truly scary. Await the street demo's akin to the old Council Tax ones as a very regular occurrence.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:07 pm

It's definitely *not* a cult.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:14 pm

bobo the clown wrote:^^scary people. Truly scary. Await the street demo's akin to the old Council Tax ones as a very regular occurrence.
I'm ok with that. People want to introduce regressive taxation, they need telling.

Winter Hill White
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Winter Hill White » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Winter Hill White wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Anyone else think this 'coup' in Turkey just doesn't seem right?
We've been living in Istanbul for just over a year now. Last Friday night (the "coup" night) was an interesting one; we can see the bridge in question from our window, so the gunfire and fighter jets were fairly adjacent. While that one night was a bit unsettling, the long-term effects for the country are perhaps more worrying. I am concerned which way Turkey is heading at the moment. And that's probably all I'm comfortable saying on a public forum while I'm still living here.
Which is telling in itself.

Jesus, that must be a bit hairy. Stay safe. Are you intending coming home?
Nope. No plans to come home. I wouldn't have a job if I left! I'm due to finish the job here next summer or maybe the summer after.
Fortunately, it's school holds at the mo, so my boy has just gone back to Blighty for a couple of weeks with grandparents, not that he seems bothered about what's going on - he even managed to sleep through a sonic boom from a fighter jet overhead! I still feel it's safe enough for my family and me to stay here. Istanbul is an amazing city; it doesn't deserve desertion just yet.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:15 am

"A Gentler, Kinder Way of Doing Politics"

I had missed that Corbyn's 'Office Manager' is now Karie Murphy, Len McClusky's girlfriend and the woman he tried to shoo-in to the Falkirk constituency (which led directly to the Ineos dispute where Ineos threatened to shut their plant in Scotland after huge malpractice and intimidation on the f actory and the constituency .... AND directly to Miliband's new electoral college ... we know now why McClusky appeared to roll-over on that one !!)

2013 Labour Party Falkirk candidate selection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Labo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... prov=sfla1

http://labourlist.org/2016/02/karie-mur" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ns-office/

BBC News: Labour leadership: Corbyn says his 'social movement' will win elections
Labour leadership: Corbyn says his 'social movement' will win elections - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36872411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BBC News: Labour MP Seema Malhotra accuses Jeremy Corbyn aide over office entry
Labour MP Seema Malhotra accuses Jeremy Corbyn aide over office entry - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36877185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:21 am

^^^ oh, & when Corbyn as yesterday's cult rally said that there was more to politics that Parliament" (which, of course, there is) and he planned to have 'the people's voice' heard he was warning .... in a gentle, kind way ... that we are in for years of dire t action.

Direct action seems fine & dandy while it's YOUR direct action on a subject YOU agree with ... but does anyone think this won't get out of hand ? Really ??

It does explain why his office & Momentum leaders are saying that "winning elections only matters to the elites" and why they're indifferent to what their electoral chances are from all this.

ffs. Recognise what's happening here

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:28 am

I don't get the FFS. As someone probably more left leaning than right, I have no problem with people taking "direct action" particularly. I don't think he'll win a general election (based on not much above a hunch), but I'm not convinced that there's a direct line between the two things.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:36 am

When the message coming out from the main opposition and its partners that winning elections don't matter you do need to be concerned, whoever you align with.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:43 am

^^ Don't disagree, but neither do I see the connection between that and the point about Direct Action. If they (whoever they are in power) decided to introduce Poll Tax again. I wouldn't pay it again and go to court over it again, if it was on the same basis as last time.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Just on your Seema Malhotra point (above) listen to what McDonald has to say rather than what people say he has to say:

https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/sta ... 3467682816" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit to add that he doesn't cover the point as I thought he did, but what he told us was that Seema had packed her boxes and piled them outside the office door. Corbyn's agent thought she had vacated and entered only to find she had not so immediately apologised.

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:55 pm

As for not winning elections were you aware that Labour won eleven (not seven) council by-elections seats just last week all but one with increased majorities and wresting one from the hands of UKIP? Not had much coverage on the BBC and in the press has that.
Last edited by clapton is god on Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Yup, I am...There were plenty of big swings to Kinnock in the 80's mid terms...

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:02 pm

And on a lighter note:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:42 pm

Council bye-elections :lol:

It must be a media conspiracy that instead they were too busy reporting the new prime minister.

Corbyn raging about the fake to report a parish bye-election (I genuinely didn't know that was a thing) on a total of about 500 votes (in the whole election) was great.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Prufrock wrote:
The first thing to say about this, is, it is not pyramid selling.....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Not necessarily a media conspiracy but Labour MPs against Corbyn just seem to be throwing as much crap at him as they can, hoping it will stick and the media are largely gobbling it up. Accusations of misogyny, anti semitism, vandalism and thuggery that as far as I can see didn't amount to a hill of beans but is now being reported as fact.

I get why many Labour supporters might not be keen on Corbyn, but the alternative bunch are making themselves no more appealing.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate

Post by clapton is god » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:Council bye-elections :lol:
No doubt you'll be similarly amused by BWFC's failure to win any Prem games this coming season. As football fans we know you can only beat the opposition in front of you.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:10 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Not necessarily a media conspiracy but Labour MPs against Corbyn just seem to be throwing as much crap at him as they can, hoping it will stick and the media are largely gobbling it up. Accusations of misogyny, anti semitism, vandalism and thuggery that as far as I can see didn't amount to a hill of beans but is now being reported as fact.

I get why many Labour supporters might not be keen on Corbyn, but the alternative bunch are making themselves no more appealing.
Whereas Corbyn supporters are all about kind politics aren't they?

Regularly see anyone who questions Corbyn being branded a Tory.

There is plenty of shit to throw at Jeremy and it's all of his own making.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:16 pm

^ oh aye, there'll be plenty of left wing loons who have allied themselves to Corbyns campaign but some of the hysteria that is being whipped up against him from within the centre of the party is not making them look any more trust worthy or electable.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:42 pm

clapton is god wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Council bye-elections :lol:
No doubt you'll be similarly amused by BWFC's failure to win any Prem games this coming season. As football fans we know you can only beat the opposition in front of you.
Which they can't beat! They got IIRC 260 votes in that parish election. That's more like winning an U-7s game. Of darts. It's utterly meaningless!