The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:25 pm

jmjhb wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:17 pm
Nessun dorma! Nessun dorma!
Tu pure, oh Principessa
Nella tua fredda stanza
Guardi le stelle che tremano
D'amore e di speranza

Ma il mio mistero è chiuso in me
Il nome mio nessun saprà
No, no, sulla tua bocca lo dirò
Quando la luce splenderà
Ed il mio bacio scioglierà
Il silenzio che ti fa mia

(ll nome suo nessun saprà
E noi dovrem, ahimè, morir, morir)

Dilegua, oh notte!
Tramontate, stelle!
Tramontate, stelle!
All'alba vincerò!
Vincerà!
Vincerò!
:lol:
jmjhb wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:36 pm
Hmm. He probably chose that username because he's a big fan of Frank Turner who did a song called "I knew Prufrock before he got famous" around the time he registered here, no idea about his opinion on the Eliot poem though
A lot of column A and a little of column B.

I'm in the video for the Prufrock song! Back when we were paying with coppers to get a round in at the bar.

Song led me onto the poem onto more Eliot who I think was a bit of a knob (alongside his much more of a knob pal Ezra) but could write (though he wasn't a great judge of others, turning down Animal Farm). "What the pigs need is not communism, but more public-spirited pigs".

I struggle with poetry much beyond Eliot and Larkin. And Brian Bilston.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:18 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:19 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:28 pm
You sound like a toddler. "They won't let democracy win, wah".
"Civility is actually the overcoming of the will to power, the natural desire to dominate others, not a mask for covering over that natural political attitude."
Words of wisdom from Ann Hartle professor of philosophy at Emory University in Atlanta. ae:)
I wonder why you directed that at me and not Donny Tourette.
I was actually going to put a down arrow pointing at the irony of your signature.... :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Aha touché :D. Do as I say and all that.

You'll never guess whose lyrics they are...

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:01 pm

I'll be disappointed if it isn't Pavarotti

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:38 pm
Aha touché :D. Do as I say and all that.

You'll never guess whose lyrics they are...
I'll have heard them anyway, everybody from Paul Potts to Aretha Franklin and Jussi Bjorling to Pavarotti. (it's the truth). :)

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:53 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:18 pm

I wonder why you directed that at me and not Donny Tourette.
Hate Speech!

FXCKING CXNT!
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 pm

Notorious anti-English Scot Ian Blackford says the Tory leadership front runner is "racist" and is "stoking division in communities". Pot Kettle Black Oops-not black.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Scot Kettle Black surely

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:17 pm

BBC reporting critically on themselves for using a Muslim preacher in last night's Tory leader debate who had previously tweeted 'potentially offensive tweet re Israel'.

I know alleged anti semitism is all the rage these days but have a look at the two tweets they're referring to. One is about Israel, which depending on your point of view, you might find controversial.

What's being largely ignored is his other tweet, which is appallingly misogynistic - suggesting women are partly to blame for any unwanted male attention that they receive. As a feminist I'm outraged!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:17 pm
BBC reporting critically on themselves for using a Muslim preacher in last night's Tory leader debate who had previously tweeted 'potentially offensive tweet re Israel'.

I know alleged anti semitism is all the rage these days but have a look at the two tweets they're referring to. One is about Israel, which depending on your point of view, you might find controversial.

What's being largely ignored is his other tweet, which is appallingly misogynistic - suggesting women are partly to blame for any unwanted male attention that they receive. As a feminist I'm outraged!
So this girl in a mini skirt walks past a building site and...(point being. ignoring the rights or wrongs of it for moment)..this is the real world and her being ignored ain't going to happen. When it does you're in Stepford. (p.s, mysoginistic is a bit of an overstatement surely?) :wink:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:56 pm

^ Give over Tango. Said girl should be able to walk where she wants and wear what she wants. If the chaps on the building site choose to shout or leer at her then they're 100% to blame. Surely?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:56 pm
^ Give over Tango. Said girl should be able to walk where she wants and wear what she wants. If the chaps on the building site choose to shout or leer at her then they're 100% to blame. Surely?
Nobody should be able to wear whatever they want
Do you ever see Bet Lynch's earings!!!? :shock:
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:56 pm
Should, could, would Harry? Remembering I have daughters and grand daughters and I agree in theory, but whilst I hope for all the best in there lives, I've seen far too much of the yang to think we live in a totally Yin world. Maybe time will change it all totally, but I doubt I'll see it. I'll go as far as to say the last thing a female wishes is to be ignored... :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:38 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

So this girl in a mini skirt walks past a building site and...(point being. ignoring the rights or wrongs of it for moment)..this is the real world and her being ignored ain't going to happen. When it does you're in Stepford. (p.s, mysoginistic is a bit of an overstatement surely?) :wink:
Tango - we're not talking about the wolf-whistling wankers on the site, showing off in front of their mates here, this is an Imam (Job desc: lead Islamic worship services, serve as community leaders, and provide religious guidance) claiming that females should never “be alone with a man” insisting “don’t expect every man to pass up the opportunity to take advantage of you.”

That, my friend, is fecking outrageous.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:44 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:38 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Tango - we're not talking about the wolf-whistling wankers on the site, showing off in front of their mates here, this is an Imam (Job desc: lead Islamic worship services, serve as community leaders, and provide religious guidance) claiming that females should never “be alone with a man” insisting “don’t expect every man to pass up the opportunity to take advantage of you.”

That, my friend, is fecking outrageous.
I think we may be a bit at odds here. Not having seen the programme, I'd be obliged if someone could point me at it. I'd like to see what was actually said (admitting I don't know that right now) .

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:54 pm
I'll go as far as to say the last thing a female wishes is to be ignored... :wink:
See, I know you're a nice guy Tango so some advice from a middle aged man to an older chap - don't repeat that line in female company! :wink:

The tweets in question are on the Beebs website. As Bruce says, outrageous that someone with such standing and influence can think like that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:59 pm

Anti-semitism and misogyny, the dream ticket.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:18 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:07 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:54 pm
I'll go as far as to say the last thing a female wishes is to be ignored... :wink:
See, I know you're a nice guy Tango so some advice from a middle aged man to an older chap - don't repeat that line in female company! :wink:

The tweets in question are on the Beebs website. As Bruce says, outrageous that someone with such standing and influence can think like that.

I get where Tango is coming from though, Harry. If someone wolf whistled to my wife, it would put a spring into her stride and a smile on her face but I would never class her as a feminist. Not everyone is the same and some women will find it very offensive while others won't. Better not to do it then.

Personally, I have never wolf whistled to anyone in my life (I have been wolf whistled twice in my younger days by women but that was a very long time ago). There were calls to criminalise wolf whistling but I think that goes way too far. Building sites have specifically banned the act and it is now a disciplinary offence but personally I think it should not be a criminal one.

However, what this Imam and other Muslims have said about how women dress and intimating it is their responsibility if they get attacked is a disgrace. I have a 20 year old daughter and to think there are people like that walking around our streets really, really worries me.
Last edited by malcd1 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:36 am

malcd1 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:18 am

I get where Tango is coming from though, Harry. I
Obviously not everyone does Malc, although quite how anyone can even imagine I agree with yet another attention-seeking lunatic on anything Malc, particularly this topic, as I have ( as stated) three daughters, five granddaughters and two great granddaughters, all as independent and as modern as tomorrow, defies belief. Since I still haven't read the comments (I won't bother doing so, then I won't feel the need to be outraged at yet another obvious crank) I think I'll just step quietly away. :wink:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:37 am

Been reading the above and one thought sprung to mind, I wonder in these days of equality just how many woman would like to be treated like men and called a scruffy ... wan... etc. etc. I don't really go for this woman dress to please themselves either, yes it ain't mainly for men but to out do each other! Feline cats springs to mind and anyone who has been around women would see this straight away.